Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I am a Nomad
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am thinking of going from a triple XT/XTR set up to a 1x9 setup with Saint rear der.
But which ISCG05 chain guide will work better?
I am between the Straitline Silent guide:
http://www.straitlinecomponents.com/Products/Straitline_Silent_Guides.aspx

and the MRP G2 Mini:
http://www.mrpbike.com/product.php?section=product&item=g2
or
http://www.mrpbike.com/product.php?section=product&item=sys1_2

Comments from current Nomad users with pros and cons overtime, of AM use will be appreciated.
Which would you select for an alu Nomad Mk2 and why?

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
My straitline has been flawless. The plastic guides are supposed to wear a little groove so the chain rollers roll while the side plates slide throug the groove. I've ridden mine a ton and they just haven't worn into the plastic at all yet.

I'm probably going to give the MRP G2 mini a try because I'd like to try a bashless setup.
I mostly use mine for AM riding but have used it at Whistler on both my 'mad and Fbird.

·
I am a Nomad
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info gticlay.
What about noise and ground clearance with the Straitline guide?
Any issues with the bash knocking easily on logs, roots, rocks, etc.?

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
tp806 said:
Thanks for the info gticlay.
What about noise and ground clearance with the Straitline guide?
Any issues with the bash knocking easily on logs, roots, rocks, etc.?
I don't think so. If you hit that, you would have hit your chainring and bent it! It's super quiet.

·
Banned
913 Posts
I've been running the MRP G2 mini SL and have had no problems with it, using 10 speed
cogset in the back. You just have to use the correct washers for the offset on the front chainring.

No dropped chains since it has been on.

·
Calm Like a Bomb
2,092 Posts
e13 LG1+ running a 33t/11-34t and it has treated me well. Good ground clearance and I run a little more sag than most. I have hit a few logs/rocks with it and the guide/taco has handled them with no worries. The guide is fairly quiet and is quieter than the Gamut P20 it replaced. I have never dropped a chain with this guide and I use one on my V-10 as well.

While I prefer the look of a taco guide over a bash guide, I am intrigued by Straitlines' Silent Guide as others have noted how functional and quiet they are.

·
I am a Nomad
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input guys, that's why I am torn between these two chain guides for my Nomad.
I have tried the OEM steel MRP G2 mini and is good, but I haven't tried the Straitline silent guide yet so as to make an educated decision.
It would be interesting to compare how less noisier is one from the other.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I run a LG1 on mine with 36T and Taco. Its run well but I'm considering either an LG1+, Gamut or Straightline.

A good friend runs a Straightline 32T and another the G2 36T on their Nomads. Having spent time on all three bikes I'm leaning towards the Straightline. Its super quiet and works.

Pipes - did you have to modify your LG1+?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have an LG1+ on my Nomad, I did trim off a bit of material to get it rotate a bit more and it worked fine. But after a 6 months of trail riding, I ended up snaping the taco just before the jockey wheel. The mod I made had nothing to do with the break, I have a friend who broke his in the same place and I'm still running it sans the lower jockey with no real issues. But it being a long time e13 user, I'm a bit dissapointed...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Jumping into this thread rather than starting a new one.
I have a Nomad Mk1 and wonder if anyone have mounted a Straightline Silent gude to their Mk1´s (no ISCG at all) ?

Guess you can use a BB=>ISCG adaptor, but does it really work?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.