Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok here are my choices they are all within similar price ranges, but i cant decide which is the best choice for my money, and wont need to be upgraded right away. Thanks alot

gary fisher x caliber-
gary fisher hoo koo e koo
cannondale f4 29 or f4
motobecane fly pro
motobecane fantom pro
giant xtc 29er 2
Fuji Tahoe 29 Pro

·
Dozer
394 Posts
In my experience, usually pick the one with the best component group, as *most* frames are relatively equal in build quality. HOWEVER -- geometries are drastically different. The unfortunate truth about Motobecane is that it's unlikely you'll be able to demo one unless you live near the distributor (in Florida, if I'm not mistaken). I can personally testify that Gary Fisher frames fit much differently than Cannondale, etc. I've ridden a GF hardtail for a while and appreciate it's longer cockpit and steep G2 head angle. It's particularly good for climbing as well.

Bottom line: go ride some of them. You'll know when you find *your* fit. Otherwise, get the best components you can afford because they make a huge difference.

:)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Iv heard nothing but good 99% of the time from motobecane... Those who buy them dont look back at it.. Im trying to find the motobecane i want.

Im also looking at the fly pro.. I wouldnt reccomend it if you dont know how to work oun your bike yourself though.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
If you can look at the geometry chart and determine which frame size you should be on , then go with the Moto . If you cant , buy local so you can test ride .

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you are willing to take a small risk, Motobecane has a 30 day return policy on their bikes (return shipping on your tab). Haven't used it myself, but have seen it in their terms & conditions.

Granted, Motobecane doesn't do much for local LBS, but when you need a repair you are not gonna ship this back to Motobecane. The LBS isn't going to starve to death, just like bowling pro shops are not falling off the face of the earth.

I'm looking at a MB frame that I can work into a urban / flat bar road bike.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you have a very good idea of what size/geometry your after go with a Motobecane. For the price, they simply can't be beat.
If you have NO idea what you're doing, you're better off going with whatever brand your LBS sells.

I think you need to narrow your choices down a little more though. You're kinda all over the place. About the only thing those bikes have in common are that they're hardtails.
I mean you're looking at 26" & 29" bikes...
Even the 2 Motobecanes you're looking at are pretty different bikes. One's a lightweight XC-racing rig (Fly PRO) and the other's an all-around trail bike (Fantom PRO).

So what are you looking to do/ride on your bike?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i will be riding single track nothing to techical mostly flat trails. Im also kinda a bigger guy 6'3 235lbs i dont know if thats gonna play a huge part in making the decision. im pretty sure i want to go with a 29er so its between fisher x caliber a bit out of price range, cannondale f4 29er, i didnt really like the motobecane 29ers. some one also said to look into felt and at the diamondaback overdrive pro.

·
Dirt Deviant
3,694 Posts
Unless you can look at a chart of Geo numbers and know how those numbers translate into fit/feel, I would get a bike from a local shop.
You'll get local support, most likely a decent service plan, maybe even free service in the future, and most importantly a bike that fits you properly and one that you can throw a leg over and try before you buy.

·
Just Joshin' ya!
1,981 Posts
I test rode a Fly Pro at a store that was carrying motebecane in AZ. Oddly enough, Bikes Direct did a store thing in Phoenix and Tucson for a bit, but that is a long story, so moving on, I test rode the pro.

The bike was crazy light and was great at accelerating. I am sure it climbed like a billy goat.

Would I trade it for my Titus Racer X.....not a chance....but compared to what you are thinking about, I think it was a very good bike.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i bought a motobecane from bike direct az the 300ht for almost 400 bills then i see it online at bike direct for 299 no tax free shipping..so i will not buy from a lbs unless it's a super smoking deal..I mean c'mon i paid a hundred extra for life time tune up on a hardtail with ishtty components..headset already loose, wheel shot and i bought in september..granted the manager was cool i do my shopping on line..Is there a way to understand fit so you can take a tape measure figure out if a size and fit is your size and fit??? And what about building a bike with last years components at close out. I'm doing that right now and for what i'm building specialized with full deore lx avid bb7's and some of this and that i'm making out rather well. Or why not just but a used bike and save the rest towards a real bike something like a titus,knolly something in that range??

·
Registered
10,052 Posts
Berkeley Mike said:
It seems to be rooted in whether it is too good to be true.
its not really that good.. i mean its not like you're getting full xtr 18lbs hardtails for 500 bucks. . you're getting a cheap bike with maybe an xt rear d on it to spice it up, some budget wheels and other things that make a functional bike for a reasonable price.

theres nothing CRAZY good value wise about what motobecane sells. you send them over 3-5 hundred bucks and get you get 5-6 hundred bucks worth of lbs bike.. just like everything mail order vs local.

its legit.. nothing too good to be true, or too out of the ordinary.

·
thechriswebb
26 Posts
Lickety Split said:
Go local.
Motobecane does NOTHING for cycling.
True; with the exception of putting some people on bikes that wouldn't be able to afford one otherwise.

I forget from time to time that people who can't afford the name-brand gear don't deserve to have it or it's equivalent in specs.

I am ALL ABOUT buying local and supporting your local business, but if it is the difference between being able to own a bike or not, or between having a bike that you can ride on a more advanced level because of it's better specs or not, then I think the answer is obvious.

Just my opinion :)

-Chris-

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've been riding a Motobecane Fantom Team for over a year now and I have been extremely satisfied with its performance. The frame is kinesium aluminum which is the same material as specialized so the frame isnt a cheap material. The only downside of Motobecane is buying it online and not from a LBS. The Fly Team in both the 29er and 26 inch bike come with XTR components except for the crankset which is FSA brand. They seem like they run large I'm 5'10" and the 18" frame is comfortable. Sportymamabikes.com seems like they don't have as many complaints as bikesdirect. But if you want the more popular brand I would recommend buying the Fuji from a LBS.

·
Official ***** Idiot
333 Posts
bikesaregood said:
You just compared mountain biking to bowling.
Well, you are throwing balls at things.........sorta.

I agree with the guy who said try local shops first. Unless you're experienced, and know what a half-degree head angle compared to top tube length, chainstay dimensions, pretty much everything, will do for your ride, you may wind up with a bike that's totally useless to you on the trails. Not saying you have to buy from the local shop, but I do suggest it. The majority will try to match price with cheaper chain stores, will set the bike up properly for you, make sure it's ready to ride out the door. Ask nice, and they may even swap out tires for a model that's better for you, and just charge you approximate price difference.

Otherwise, look at the material, components, stuff like that. Try to get as good as you can. Not sure if anybody is still building steel bikes, but if you're looking at two, same price, and same general parts, go steel. Cheap aluminum is a recipe for disaster. Heavier, sometimes, since the lower brands don't use taperwall tubing, too expensive.

I kinda like the feel of Gary Fishers, myself, they handle well. Fast, though.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.