Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellas, just wondering which shock pump do you guys like using?

I have a front talas 32 RLC 09' and an older rear float shock im about 180 lbs with gear.

I know Giyo is the main manufacturer for these pumps. So just want some inputs as far as durability, easy to carry in packs, etc..

With my setup, do you guys recommend getting a 150 psi max pump or must go for the 300 psi?

thanks for all your inputs :thumbsup:

Edit: Oh darn should i move this to the Shock & Susp forum:confused:

·
Registered
394 Posts
I've been using a Topeak Pocket Shock DXG pump for a year or so now. Love it. Priced pretty well too.

I don't typically carry it with me unless I'm on a new ride and trying to work out pressures but it's small enough to keep in a typical hydration pack.

I'd stick with a pump that will go up to 300psi (which the Topeak is).

DC

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I just bought a giyo, goes to 400psi and the gauge is removable which is cool if I want to strap it to my bike. It was like 28 shipped off ebay. This is my first one I just moved to air but it should fit my needs. I would like a pump that does shocks and tires, but I was reading about them and the air volume isn't great at all on high volume mode. Some people were saying that filling a tire could take hundreds of pumps. I think I'll stick with my dual action bell, that thing fills my tires in like 30 quick pumps.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just bought a giyo, goes to 400psi and the gauge is removable which is cool if I want to strap it to my bike. It was like 28 shipped off ebay. This is my first one I just moved to air but it should fit my needs. I would like a pump that does shocks and tires, but I was reading about them and the air volume isn't great at all on high volume mode. Some people were saying that filling a tire could take hundreds of pumps. I think I'll stick with my dual action bell, that thing fills my tires in like 30 quick pumps.

thanks guys for the inputs. just switched to air forks also. I think i was also looking into the giyo also on ebay or RS 300psi that seems like a good price. How often do you guys catch yourself using the shock pump, adjustment or maintenance?

ya I'm not too sure for the tire using a shock pump, I always bring my Topeak Joe blow with me before hitting the trail and a mini pump in my pack. Gotta Loves those floor pumps.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Once I get the suspension set up I don't use the shock pump too often. Typically just at maintenance. I try to check the pressure once a month or so.

If you are new to the bike or suspension product it's nice to have the shock pump along for the first few rides so you can try different sag settings while you're out on the trail. Once you get the bike dialed in for you I wouldn't see messing around with the pressures on the trail.

I have no experience with using a shock pump in place of a tire pump. Seems like it just wouldn't be nearly as efficient as a regular mini tire pump.

I carry just a mini tire pump in my Camelback.

Just don't hook up your regular tire pump to you air shock. :eekster:

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I meant pumps that are specifically made for shocks and tires. There are 2 air chambers that you switch, one for the shock and one for the tire. I wouldnt try to pump a tire up with a standard shock pump lol

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
G

·
The PSI in both fork / shock change overnight enough to alter the ride so for me it's on my daily ride check list along with tire pressure.
I use the Fox digital readout pump.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I got the giyo pump today.. It works, and it's small. the removable gauge is great too. It didn't come with a frame mount so I used a heat gun to bend a frame pump bracket to fit the smaller diameter of the shock pump. A little dremel work and it's perfect. Then I cut the tip off of a basketball needle and filled it with epoxy to screw into the hose end of the shock pump so dirt doesn't get inside of it.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Here's some pics in case anyone else wants to make a bracket.

And everything fits

·
I like bikes.
309 Posts
I just bought the RS 300psi pump off ebay for $33shipped
Cheapest one my LBS had was $48+tax..yeah, no thanks.
If you dont plan to pump your forks up to 150psi, then 150 will be suitable. I just bought the cheapest one that was halfway descent.
Can your forks even take 150psi?

I have a bike pump on my seatpost just like ou2mame does. If I'm out on the trail and need to make an adjustment, I could use that in a pinch. I don't plan to ever carry it with me. I would need to get an adapter as my schrader is recessed into the stanchion tube and my tire pump does not have a wand to it. I can make one if needed.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just bought the RS 300psi pump off ebay for $33shipped
Cheapest one my LBS had was $48+tax..yeah, no thanks.
If you dont plan to pump your forks up to 150psi, then 150 will be suitable. I just bought the cheapest one that was halfway descent.
Can your forks even take 150psi?

that what I'm wondering. I have a Talas RLC and weighing in at 175. I don't think i need 150psi. I read somewhere According to Fox and Fox's shock pump it goes to the recommended max of 150psi. Now will it take more, i'm not sure. I do also have a rear float, and forgot the psi that one takes. I figure i'll just get on that goes to 300 just in case if ever needed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts