Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

I've been looking at getting a scalpel to replace my Taurine frame just to give my lower back a bit of comfort. I mainly ride single track with ups and down so climbing is as important as going down.

I can see that the 09 models have Fox RP23 but the 08 team edition has the DT Carbon. The fox has propedal and the DT has lock-out - could probably be made more usable with a remote.

Which shock is the better one?

Cheers:D

·
Registered
124 Posts
Fox RP23

Pro-pedal is a far better shock option than a complete Lock out. The RP23 has a 3-stage ProPedal option - put it on the hardest setting and you'll almost have a locked out shock but with some compliance; ideal for those small bumps on a long climb.

·
Registered
248 Posts
IMO, the Scalpel is a suspension design which depends upon propedal for efficient pedaling. It also requires proper sag, so you can't just pump up your shock extra stiff and get good results. Given this, I would never get the dt shock unless you plan to leave it locked out everywhere but the downhill.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
larsdanielsen said:
Hi there!

I've been looking at getting a scalpel to replace my Taurine frame just to give my lower back a bit of comfort. I mainly ride single track with ups and down so climbing is as important as going down.

I can see that the 09 models have Fox RP23 but the 08 team edition has the DT Carbon. The fox has propedal and the DT has lock-out - could probably be made more usable with a remote.

Which shock is the better one?

Cheers:D
Cannondale stopped shipping the scalpels with the Carbon DT shock because they couldnt eat the price any more, they werent charging more for the DT but its a little more expensive than the RP23. DT Swiss also couldnt cope with the demand for the Carbon shock for the high amount of new scalpels being sold, so cannondale went with fox, who can produce a lot of shocks really quickly.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have only used the RP23. I find that with out propedal the bike does bob a lot when you pound on the pedals.

Some people have posted on MTBR that the DT used less air to get the same results as an RP23. So what we need to know is if the DT is stiff enough for the Scalpel even though it does not have pro pedal?

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
larsdanielsen said:
Sounds like the Fox is better suited for the scalpel. Will there be too much 'bob' with the DT?
Not really, the scalpel is pretty stiff. All of the guys that I know who race their Scalpels race them at like 60-70 psi because it makes the shock more active with the stiff frame.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.