Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am having trouble deciding which seat post dropper I should go with?

I heard that among the best right now are the Rock Shox Reverb and Kind Shock Lev. These go for $300 - $400 and I think it is a bit too much to spend on a seat post. I am willing to spend somewhere in the range of $200 -$250.

I've heard Gravity Dropper are good too.

The diameter of my Seatpost is 27.2mm.

I'd appreciate some suggestions.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It seems like every dropper post has issues. I was talking to a mechanic at my lbs about it. He said they are constantly working on or sending droppers back to the factory. I really want one, but it seems the companies don't have it down yet.

·
Big Mac
4,981 Posts
Issues occur sometimes. But my reverb has been trouble free for over a year. OP, you've fairly well pigeon holed yourself with your budget.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've had the kind shock i900 for 3 years, happy with it. I weigh 220 and ride it hard 2-3 times a week. It's pretty dry where I ride so it does need to be maintained, lubed, etc. only complaint is I'm tall so I wish it had more than 4" travel. Paid ~$200 in 2011

·
Registered
666 Posts
Last fall I bought a giant contact dropper for $250 here in Canada. It has worked flawlessly thus far; however, my bike was in my basement since I installed the post....waiting for winter to leave before giving the post a real workout.

I looked at a reverb, but did not want to spend the money and did not want the extra work of bleeding it.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
A lot of you guys are mentioning posts that don't come in 27.2mm...

But if we're talking any size post, I just picked up a Fox DOSS and I like it. Since the height adjustment is mechanical I don't think it will fail like so many Reverbs and other droppers (including Thomson) have. It also doesn't have any setback, which was important to me. The two position drop works really well and I see no need for infinite adjustment. And finally, it looks really good on my bike - Gravity droppers are just too danged ugly with that boot...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought the new KS LEV about 10 months ago because I heard they held up throughout riding time and time again in bad weather… so far it's awesome! Good Luck!!!

·
Rent this space for $
3,641 Posts
As said above, they ALL are experiencing failures at some point. Even the All Mighty KS LEV! I'll probably be chastised for saying it but at this point after reading about and personally seeing the experiences of others with a multitude of different droppers, I'd buy the same Crank Bros Kronolog that I have right now. My first one stripped out and wouldn't stay fully extended but the newer complete replacement set-up they sent me within ONE WEEK of receiving my failed unit has been flawless. If it fails again somewhere down the line like all the others are proving to, I know I am one week out till I receive the fix. Not weeks and weeks as with most the others. I like that it's 100% user serviceable and completely mechanical without the more complicated hydraulic systems. The infinite height adjustment is also a big positive.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
38,138 Posts
As said above, they ALL are experiencing failures at some point. Even the All Mighty wouldn't stay fully extended but ONE WEEK of receiving my failed unit has been flawless and is also a big positive.
Alrighty then....

;)

But seriously if I was in the market today my first choice would be the Thomson.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'd buy the same Crank Bros Kronolog that I have right now. My first one stripped out and wouldn't stay fully extended but the newer complete replacement set-up they sent me within ONE WEEK of receiving my failed unit has been flawless. If it fails again somewhere down the line like all the others are proving to, I know I am one week out till I receive the fix. Not weeks and weeks as with most the others. I like that it's 100% user serviceable and completely mechanical without the more complicated hydraulic systems. The infinite height adjustment is also a big positive.
I been hearing about how good the Rockshox Reverb and Kind Shock Lev are. I haven't heard anything about the Kronlog. Based on what you said, I'll look into this one.

I appreciate everyone's input, btw.:)

·
Rent this space for $
3,641 Posts
If you dig around, you'll find plenty of hate out there for the CB Krono because the early version had issues as I mentioned above. You likely won't top CB's customer service. Some say it's because their sh*t always breaks so they get good practice. I'm not of that mindset. They took phenomenal care of me when I had my Krono issue and the total replacement unit has been flawless for quite a lot of hours on the trail and I use the bajeezus out of it on my trail network. I don't even want to ride without one, anymore.

Good luck regardless of what direction you go.

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
I just got a Gravity Dropper Turbo LP. Chose it because of mechanical simple design and the reviews of their customer service. took it for first ride on the trails yesterday. Amazing! Dropper post is easily the best upgrade I have ever mde. One ride blew me away. now I know why riders keep putting up with all the relaibility BS, it is that much of a ride changer. My main trail is very flowy, table tops, drops, etc...and the lower height allows so much more pop and spring from my legs, and lower center gravity, it was incredible. i am ordering another one today for my other bike....WHY did i wait so long to buy one!!!!???????

·
Just Joshin' ya!
1,980 Posts
I have a KS I900 that has never given me trouble. I also bought a cheap-o Origin8 Ultim8 for 85 bucks off ebay for my XC bike. While super finicky, it works and is still going strong after about 7/8 months.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I just got a Gravity Dropper Turbo LP. Chose it because of mechanical simple design and the reviews of their customer service. took it for first ride on the trails yesterday. Amazing! Dropper post is easily the best upgrade I have ever mde. One ride blew me away. now I know why riders keep putting up with all the relaibility BS, it is that much of a ride changer. My main trail is very flowy, table tops, drops, etc...and the lower height allows so much more pop and spring from my legs, and lower center gravity, it was incredible. i am ordering another one today for my other bike....WHY did i wait so long to buy one!!!!???????
I feel the same way and bought another for my HT. Loving the droppers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
I feel the same way and bought another for my HT. Loving the droppers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yeah, I was "considering" one for the past 3 years but the reliability and price turned me off. I also was keptical of the river review "hype" on the ride difference. I am not advocating for GD here, get anyone you like and when it's working you'll be floored by the improvement. I was also of the mindepset of "just get behind the saddle" but I found yesterday that the dropper is far more than an assist on steep descents. it's not getting behind the saddle, which in some instance may throw off you CoG and was the front end, but the ability to squat without the seat in the way. one ride I was surging off drops and popping off lips and flowing in berms and rollers. squatting and weight transfer benefits are huge. if you are waiting don't deny yourself, just get one and be amazed...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts