Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys- i'm mostly a(n) (evil) roadie who occasionally races mtb. i've slowly been taking xc racing more and more seriously and feel like I should get new lighter/stronger wheels.

being the fan of custom built wheels for my road bike, I was looking to custom build wheels for my MTB. My plan was to use CK hubs. But I'm completely clueless for rims.

I was leaning towards the velocity deep v rims due to their bombproof road reputation. but they are a tad bit heavy. I'm planning to use them with disc brakes, and for xc racing. suggestions would be great.

thanks a ton.

cruz

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Take a look at the Mavic XM 819 Rim. Its a tubeless rim and is priced at about $80 and is fairly light. If your getting into racing you need to consider going tubeless. It increases the chances that you will finish the race. Pinch flated with tubed tires are real killer during a race. You dont want to be spending 8-9 minutes or more fixing a flat.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
The Velocity Deep V MTB is complete overkill for your intended use. Most people doing cross country racing are rolling on rims weighing between 400-450 grams each. If you are looking at some beafier rims that will stand up to agressive XC/all mountain use you probably still wouldn't want them to weigh much more than 500 grams.

If you want to stick with Velocity, the Velocity Aeroheat AT at 442 grams (for machined sidewalls for rim brakes) and 468 grams (for non-machined sidewalls for disc brakes) would stand up to agressive XC/all mountain use and handle 2.1"-2.3" tires well.

What size of tires do you want to use?

Do you want to go tubeless or stick with conventional tubed set-up?

What are you rolling on right now?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GearHead said:
The Velocity Deep V MTB is complete overkill for your intended use. Most people doing cross country racing are rolling on rims weighing between 400-450 grams each. If you are looking at some beafier rims that will stand up to agressive XC/all mountain use you probably still wouldn't want them to weigh much more than 500 grams.

If you want to stick with Velocity, the Velocity Aeroheat AT at 442 grams (for machined sidewalls for rim brakes) and 468 grams (for non-machined sidewalls for disc brakes) would stand up to agressive XC/all mountain use and handle 2.1"-2.3" tires well.

What size of tires do you want to use?

Do you want to go tubeless or stick with conventional tubed set-up?

What are you rolling on right now?
after reading tons of threads on tubeless vs. tubes, I think I want to try tubeless.

my current setup is a 2.0 specialized roll X in the front and an IRC mythos II in the rear.

velocity is just something i pretty much just picked becuase I knew the name. whatever. i'm open to try anything.

my current wheels are a set of really really overbuilt bombproof 14g 3x 36h freeride wheels. don't ask.

as far as xc racing goes, i've always been "i'll ride whatever... just as long as its safe and stuff...". which is completely opposite of my road setup. i'm pretty ignorant as far as mtb gear goes.

its growing on me though.
:eek:

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
If you want to go tubeless get the XM819 rims and use UST tires. Simple and easy to use and very reliable.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I would have to agree that the Mavic XM 819 is the best tubeless rim to use with a custom wheelset. It will weigh about 510-515 grams with the FORE inserts (Mavic doesn't list these on their website in the weight).

Other rims using tubeless conversion strips or rim strips seem to be a PITA and have reliability issues.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
cruzer2424 said:
My plan was to use CK hubs.
I would take a look at the DT Swiss 240S hubs as well. They are both cheaper and lighter than the King hubs and with no durability problems. The older DT Swiss 240 hubs had some durability problems but they seemed to have fixed these on the new ones. Do a search!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GearHead said:
I would take a look at the DT Swiss 240S hubs as well. They are both cheaper and lighter than the King hubs and with no durability problems. The older DT Swiss 240 hubs had some durability problems but they seemed to have fixed these on the new ones. Do a search!

that sounds awesome. i think i'll do that instead.

is 28h too low for a disc?

also any spoke reccomendations?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
cruzer2424 said:

You will have a tough time finding 28-hole tubeless rims.

I would stick with 32 (3-cross) anyway.

DT 240s hubs
Mavic XM819 rims
DT Aerolite or Sapim CX-Ray spokes with alloy nipples

Killer wheelset

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
myitch said:
didn't you previously say you like DT swiss 5.1s with rim strips? i thought i read that from you, though i could be wrong. i'm also in the midst of a wheel/rim change. initially, i was thinking of going with 819s, then heard that the 5.1s are stronger, wider, and stiffer. and also that using rims strips to convert to tubeless on this setup was just as reliable and much lighter.

i'm confused all over again. help.
Nope. Was not me. I have never even seen a 5.1 rim. Would also not be the best rim choice for the OP.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
shiggy said:
You will have a tough time finding 28-hole tubeless rims.

I would stick with 32 (3-cross) anyway.

DT 240s hubs
Mavic XM819 rims
DT Aerolite or Sapim CX-Ray spokes with alloy nipples

Killer wheelset
didn't you previously say you like DT swiss 5.1s with rim strips? i thought i read that from you, though i could be wrong. i'm also in the midst of a wheel/rim change. initially, i was thinking of going with 819s, then heard that the 5.1s are stronger, wider, and stiffer. and also that using rims strips to convert to tubeless on this setup was just as reliable and much lighter.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
shiggy said:
Nope. Was not me. I have never even seen a 5.1 rim. Would also not be the best rim choice for the OP.
ah, it was Squeaky Wheel. he likes the 5.1 w/rim strip set up.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
cruzer2424 said:

I believe that you can only buy the Mavic XM 819 rims in 32 holes due to their intended use. 28 hole conventional spoked rims/hubs are reserved for true XC race weight weenie use or light weight riders.

You can build a better wheel using 32 lighter weight spokes than you can using 28 heavier spokes anyways.

One of the most popular, durable, cost effective, weight conscious options for spokes is double butted 14-15-14 gauge (2.0-1.8-2.0 mm) spokes with brass nipples. Make sure the wheel builders use oil/grease/anti-seize as a lubricant when building the wheels and NOT Locktite or thread locker of some sort.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
myitch said:

The DT Swiss 5.1s are going to weigh more than the Mavic XM819 once you add a tubeless rim strip. Also, once you introduce both the rim and tubelessn rim strip you will never get a combo that is going to seal/stay sealed as good as a UST specific rim designed to work with UST tires.

The DT 5.1's are 21 mm inside width compared to the XM 819 at 19 mm inside width. The 5.1's should be stiffer due to the larger boxed in area when looking at the cross section, not sure if they are stronger as that is hard to define.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
GearHead said:
One of the most popular, durable, cost effective, weight conscious options for spokes is double butted 14-15-14 gauge (2.0-1.8-2.0 mm) spokes with brass nipples. Make sure the wheel builders use oil/grease/anti-seize as a lubricant when building the wheels and NOT Locktite or thread locker of some sort.

does that mean its a bad idea to use DT Aerolite, or Wheelsmith AE15s with alloy nipples?

or did you just suggest that becuase its cheap?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
cruzer2424 said:
hey guys- i'm mostly a(n) (evil) roadie who occasionally races mtb. i've slowly been taking xc racing more and more seriously and feel like I should get new lighter/stronger wheels.

being the fan of custom built wheels for my road bike, I was looking to custom build wheels for my MTB. My plan was to use CK hubs. But I'm completely clueless for rims.

I was leaning towards the velocity deep v rims due to their bombproof road reputation. but they are a tad bit heavy. I'm planning to use them with disc brakes, and for xc racing. suggestions would be great.

thanks a ton.

cruz
Any other rims to consider? Other than the 819s? Tubeless.

Werd. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
cruzer2424 said:
does that mean its a bad idea to use DT Aerolite, or Wheelsmith AE15s with alloy nipples?

Aerolites are great. Alloy nipples work great.

Not sold on the AE15 because the ends are 15g rather than 14g (not as strong/more elastic). Also not clear on the method Wheelsmith uses to blade the spoke (DT and Sapim cold forge the blade shape - very strong).

·
Registered
564 Posts
myitch said:

It was me, I have alway suggested the 5.1 rim over the 819.

·
Registered
564 Posts
cruzer2424 said:
Any other rims to consider? Other than the 819s? Tubeless.

Werd. Thanks.
The Dt XR4.1 rim would be a great choice for xc racing. It is not that hard at all to use the Dt tubeless strips and the weight will be less then the 819. The weight will be around 465 grams with the rim strip installed and they are just as strong as the Mavic 819.

You could also use the Velocity vxc with a Stans rim strip.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
cruzer2424 said:

Purely based on best cost/performance ratio.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts