Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My commuter bike is set up as a fast bike for daily use: drop bars, disc brakes, 32 mm tires. I ride it pretty much every day. I like the bike to be light and agile, but at the same time I don't want to sacrifice reliability for "everyday dependability". When I built the bike, I recycled some nice and light wheels from another bike, but the rims of these wheels are a bit too flexy for my tastes (NoTubes Ironcross). So I am planning to rebuild my wheels with a new set of rims that would be more suitable for my needs and tastes. For reference, I have another bike with 26" Mavic XC 717 rims, which I love. Unfortunately, the XC 717 do not exist as 28" size.

Which rim would you recommend? So far I have looked at the Mavic XM 119 and the DT Swiss R460. However, I feel these rims are not on the same build quality level as the XC 717: simple joint, no eyelets, and they seem to be a bit heavier. Am I just making this up, or is this a real difference?

What other rims are out there that would fit my needs?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was referring to a 622 mm diameter rim. That corresponds to 29" using newfangled MTB nomenclature invented by marketing guys a decade ago (or two?). For all other bicycle types, it always was and still is 28". But let's not worry about the 28" vs. 29" confusion here -- they are the same for the purpose of my question.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for this suggestion, looks like a reliable and durable rim! It seems the "disc version" of the TK 540 is the same as the rim-brake version, though, just with black anodize where brake area would be. I wonder if there is a disc-only rim that allows saving a bit of the "rim brake material" that is not needed with disc brakes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.