Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
♥ ς╥33£
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my next bike I want rims without holes drilled for the spokes on the inside of the rims, so I dont have to use rimtape and such, are there such rims? Preferably Mavic or DT, they are going on a commuter so they dont have to be strong.

edit: are "single eyelet" what I'm looking for? Is that what its called?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
longcat said:
For my next bike I want rims without holes drilled for the spokes on the inside of the rims, so I dont have to use rimtape and such, are there such rims? Preferably Mavic or DT, they are going on a commuter so they dont have to be strong.

edit: are "single eyelet" what I'm looking for? Is that what its called?
Just use rim tape.

Any rim without the inside drilling takes special building techniques and are on the high end price-wise.

·
i call it a kaiser blade
744 Posts
UST rims have rim strips that go over the 'holes' to make the rims air tight and seat tire beads, but that makes it hard to mount non-UST tires on them if you plan to use tubes.

rim tape is so friggin cheap and effective or you can throw two layers of electrical tape on there.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
eat_dirt said:
UST rims have rim strips that go over the 'holes' to make the rims air tight and seat tire beads, but that makes it hard to mount non-UST tires on them if you plan to use tubes.

rim tape is so friggin cheap and effective or you can throw two layers of electrical tape on there.
The low-end Mavic UST rims use rim strips. The "good" UST rims do not. Some other brands of UST/tubeless rims use sealing rim strips to avoid Mavic's patent.

Electrical tape makes a very poor rim tape as it is too stretchy. I use 1/2" fiber reinforced packing tape.

·
PRO
25 Posts

·
♥ ς╥33£
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I may have to reconsider then, I just thought it was a good idea not have any sharp edges around the tubes, made sense to me.

With "double eyelet" rims I dont get any sharp edges rubbing against the tubes right?

Does UST rims works with regular tires? I mean do they have any special profile inside that only fit this or that tire etc?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
longcat said:
I may have to reconsider then, I just thought it was a good idea not have any sharp edges around the tubes, made sense to me.

With "double eyelet" rims I dont get any sharp edges rubbing against the tubes right?

Does UST rims works with regular tires? I mean do they have any special profile inside that only fit this or that tire etc?
Standard tires and tubes work on UST rims.

The main reason for rim tape is to protect the tube from the sharp edges. It works very well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.