Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sent my wheel into Hadley to have them convert my hub to a 12mm thru axle and they just called me to say that the hub has some damage and they are replacing it under warranty. Yay:D I was hoping to get another year out of my DT5.1 rim but it's pretty trashed so I'm going to replace it. I've had good luck with the 5.1's so far but I wouldn't mind something tougher and stiffer. Most of my riding is rugged/technical AM in rocky areas with some 4 to 5' drops to flattish. I'm also doing more DH/FR now as well. I do want to try and keep the weight down as I use this bike for everything. My front wheel is a 5.1 rim with a Hope hub and I have no plans on changing that until I have to.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Halo Freedom Disc

I contemplated between two rims, the Halo Freedom disc at about 520 grams and the Stan's Flows at like 470. I chose the Halo's, I've read some good reviews abroad and they look killer. I have 5.1's on my motolite and they always go out of true, I think the flows are stronger than the 5.1's and the Halo's a step above that. They are much cheaper than both the mavic's and the stan's rims. I got mine from Universal Cycles.

Attachments

·
some know me as mongo
692 Posts
i'm running the mavic EN521 right now and they seem pretty sweet. they are pretty much a dics version on the EX721 and this allows the to be a little bit lighter. i haven't pushed them too hard yet but so far so good. they feel nice and stiff and were a very easy build

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
5.1 is a great rim, but it needs a skilled builder (that's why I went with Chad). If the build is not up to it then say ****ing good bye to the rim.

If you're talking turkey then you should be looking at a bigger rim full stop. The new 6.1's are much harder or the bomb-proof 823's.

Mate, if your throwing the bike around and showing it who's the top dog then forget weight. You got some sorta Tomac for that dontchya?

There's a whole lotta rosie in a big rim :)

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All Mountain said:
5.1 is a great rim, but it needs a skilled builder (that's why I went with Chad). If the build is not up to it then say ****ing good bye to the rim.

If you're talking turkey then you should be looking at a bigger rim full stop. The new 6.1's are much harder or the bomb-proof 823's.

Mate, if your throwing the bike around and showing it who's the top dog then forget weight. You got some sorta Tomac for that dontchya?

There's a whole lotta rosie in a big rim :)
Don't think I can trust the DT rims after seeing them dent so easily. They have held up fairly well to my abuse but I think it's time to go up a step. I'm leaning towards the 721's right now. I figure at 150lbs. I can get away with that rim.

Well the Tomac is just something I threw together for endurace races and as a backup bike. It's not a particularly fun bike to ride. I'm trying to keep the weight of the DT down to a "reasonable" level (whatever that means) so I can continue using it as my main rig. It's way too easy to build this thing up as a hucking machine. I just don't huck that much, yet:D

·
Double-metric mtb man
4,482 Posts
As someone who has ridden a set of 819's on some stuff that the bike wasn't really meant for, I'm a believer in the Mavics. As All Mountain said, the 823's are bomb-proof...little heavier, but you can run tubeless and they will take a heck of a beating.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.