Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to add a rigid fork to my MTB/commuter ride. are there better ones or worse ones? can you specify the amount of suspension correction on a fork? does it matter?

if it makes any difference, i'm riding a haro V4 (which, according to harobikes.com) is built for 100mm of travel.

i see rigid forks ranging from $40 to $400. i can't spend anywhere near $400, but don't want to buy junk either. are the surly forks good? are there better or worse surlys than others?

please and thanks.
matt from kc

·
Registered
81 Posts
Surly instigator

omg, I was about to post something similar.... spooky ;)

Anyway, I did some research because my 105mm Marzocchi needs to be serviced (oil/seals/bushings), which means no bike for a while if I don't have an interim fork.

I looked at Tange, On-One, Pace, Surly, Orange, Kona, DMR,.... and the only 2 affordable forks that match the length of a 100mm-fork are the Surly Instigator and the Orange F8

But since the Orange is disc-brake only and I still run V-brakes (okay stop laughing now) I'm ordering the Surly. Strange I couldn't find a European brand (I'm from Belgium), but what's new...

Sure you can find lighter, more exotic carbon/ti forks but I didn't bother looking at them because they cost probably more than a new suspension fork and I want something that can hold my 200lbs/90kg.

Hope this helps, take care

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info.

yeah, there are some high-buck carbon parts out there, but part of the reason for wanting a rigid fork is because i simply can't afford to drop the jack on a susp. fork. plus, my rig rarely leaves pavement. :(

·
Crunchatize me Capn'
2,899 Posts
Usually even the "cheap" forks are decent. They're just, usually, Chro-Mo. Nothing exotic but they work fine. Just make sure, as already indicated, that it's modified for a frame intended for suspension travel, if that's what you have.

·
Registered
540 Posts
If you want cheap, On One Steel fork is the way to go. $60-$90 will get you a solid, life time fork.

If you want about $200, Fetish makes a carbon MTB fork in that price range. Usually a 190lb weight limit though.

If you want super light, look for a used Spicer Ti fork. I run one of these and it is great as long as you don't weigh 220lb. Mine ran me $380 about 5 years ago. It's 445grams.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DocAltie said:
If you want cheap, On One Steel fork is the way to go. $60-$90 will get you a solid, life time fork.

If you want about $200, Fetish makes a carbon MTB fork in that price range. Usually a 190lb weight limit though.

If you want super light, look for a used Spicer Ti fork. I run one of these and it is great as long as you don't weigh 220lb. Mine ran me $380 about 5 years ago. It's 445grams.
sounds like it's steel for me then (i'm what the roadies call a clydesdale - i go between 220 and 230 pounds most of the time).

are the surly forks good?

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I have been commuting on a Dimention CroMo rigid (disc only) fork for years. It is very stiff and durable. It may not match the axle to crown length you want though. I recently got two Zion rigid forks and I am amazed how much they flex. The disc brake tabs are also NOT welded on very precisely. Not impressed.

·
Registered
305 Posts
It doesn't really matter.......

As long as it's not off a dept. store Magna, Mongoose etc.
I got a 1 1/8 rigid steel fork on ebay for 1.00. It was a take off from a Specialized Hardrock.
It was to be used as my Manitou rebuild back-up. But after i rebuilt my Skareb, I never took it off because my rigid 1x9 is such a great climber now. I beat the hell out of it. No problems.
You could probably find one dirt cheap off some beater at police bike auction. Or even gabage pick one.

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
As long as it's not off a dept. store Magna, Mongoose etc.
i have to disagree with that, rigid forks are surprisingly different from one another.

I recently got two Zion rigid forks and I am amazed how much they flex. The disc brake tabs are also NOT welded on very precisely.
interesting....i just got a Zion fork, and while it's certainly flexier than my on-one fork, the machining is top notch and the disc tab was very level!

·
anyone else smell that?
2,314 Posts
just ordered a nashbar 80mm susp. corrected rigid fork for $35....i'll let you know how it is. i'm at 245 lbs. right now....but don't plan on doing any major o/r with it....it's just a do-all kinda build up.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I agree, rigid forks all ride different.

My Spicer Ti took a while to get used to. It was seriously scary at first because it felt really dead when going fast. It is flexy on the trail and under hard braking on the road.

Now that I am used to it's quirks, I love it. It's so light and forgiving. Usually on the trails I swap it out for an 02 RS Duke SL100. Takes about 10mins.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.