Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be building up a heckler in the next couple weeks and am trying to decide which rear shock option is best for me. I weigh about 210 lbs. and have always ridden on coil sprung bikes. Older air shocks that I rode never seemed to take a beating like a coil shock could, but I imagine the technology has gotten better over the past few years. I also want to try to keep my heckler semi-light, so was wondering if any other large guys out there have tried running air shocks on their hecklers and how they liked it. Also, is one air shock a better match for this frame than another? I'm looking at a frame with the 5th Air on it, one with a Fox air (not the DHX) and also a couple with a 5th Coil. I ride pretty aggressively, so which shock would be a better choice?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm currently about 210 (usually about 195-200) and ride a Heckler with an RP3 and love it. I really only ride XC/single track/light trail so no real drops etc.

·
Bike Hoor
675 Posts
We had one customer that was a powerlifter that tipped the scales at up to 280.. he rode with a 5th Coil and we never heard back from him. Howard, if you are out there, drop us a line sometime. We want to hear how the Heckler handled a REAL big guy. ;)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Heck

Innocent Bystander said:
We had one customer that was a powerlifter that tipped the scales at up to 280.. he rode with a 5th Coil and we never heard back from him. Howard, if you are out there, drop us a line sometime. We want to hear how the Heckler handled a REAL big guy. ;)
I'M 225 ON THE AVERAGE AND HAVE BEEN ON A HECKLER WITH A 5TH COIL FOR OVER 3 YEARS...........IT'S SMOOTH AND BOMBPROOF, IT DOESN'T BOB UNDER MY CARCASS, BUT I'D SURE LIKE TO TRY A DHX AIR AND SAVE A POUND OR SO. I'D ALSO LIKE TO TRADE UP TO A 36 RC2 WITH THE TALAS FEATURE TO GET A LITTLE MORE STIFFNESS, TRAVEL, AND TO STILL BE ABLE TO WIDE IT DOWN TO 110 FOR CLIMBING. I'VE GOT A 125 VAMILLA RLC RIGHT NOW THATS GETTING A LITTLE TIRED. SO THAT WOULD BE MY DREAM REBUILD. :cool:

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm going to be building up a heckler in the next couple weeks and am trying to decide which rear shock option is best for me. I weigh about 210 lbs. and have always ridden on coil sprung bikes. Older air shocks that I rode never seemed to take a beating like a coil shock could, but I imagine the technology has gotten better over the past few years. I also want to try to keep my heckler semi-light, so was wondering if any other large guys out there have tried running air shocks on their hecklers and how they liked it. Also, is one air shock a better match for this frame than another? I'm looking at a frame with the 5th Air on it, one with a Fox air (not the DHX) and also a couple with a 5th Coil. I ride pretty aggressively, so which shock would be a better choice?
I thought you said you were a big guy. I wouldn't call 210lbs big. Unless you are doing big drops, I'd stick with the air shock. I'm 250lbs and I have the DHX5 Coil on my Heckler. A buddy has a 5th element on his and he weighs 270lbs. SC no longer sells them with the 5th element. I can say the DHX5 is awesome. If you stay with the air, it will be considerably lighter. The springs alone weigh around a pound or so.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Big Guy and Heckler

I'm 230 and have had my Heckler set up with a DHX 5 and it is an awesome shock. I currently have it set up with a Manitou 4-Way air schock and it is awesome too. I just recently put the 4-Way on there and am still messing with the adjustments so it may get even better. There is a pretty big weight savings with an air shock. I also ride pretty aggresively. I've been riding my Heckler on the same downhill trails that I ride on my Bullit with a 888 fork up front and it holds the line just fine. Granted, I don't get down the mountain quite as fast but the Heckler sure is fun to ride being a burly bike and still 10lbs lighter than my Bullit. I run mine with a Rockshox Pike Team fork which is adjustble on the fly from 95mm to 140mm by turning a dial. It is an awesome fork for the Heckler. I too would like a Fox 36 and get that extra 10mm of travel but they are pretty pricey and 3/4lbs heavier than my Pike Team.

·
Registered
150 Posts
not a heckler but a bullit

yep another big guy was about 245 now im about 225 but have been riding the dhx air for about 4months now on my bullit and it's great plus ive now dropped the psi no need to change a spring saved money too can't get better than went from the 5th element and so much nicer to ride up and come down hope my 2cents helps not a heckler but close enough bat.

·
Registered
383 Posts
check the STROKE!

bat on a bike said:
yep another big guy was about 245 now im about 225 but have been riding the dhx air for about 4months now on my bullit and it's great plus ive now dropped the psi no need to change a spring saved money too can't get better than went from the 5th element and so much nicer to ride up and come down hope my 2cents helps not a heckler but close enough bat.
hey, just for your info.....if you haven't got that rear shock yet......make sure it has a 2.25 stroke on it and you'll get around 5.6 or 5.7 inches of travel on a heckler, no matter what year it is (post 2002) newer version, instead of the standard 5 inches from the 2.0 stroke. all the brand new hecklers are being shipped from SC like that but they haven't updated the website to reflect that yet...........that's a cool boost!! :cool:

i'd still go for the DHX Air first or the DHX 5.0, for what it's worth.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts