Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi champs,
I am puzzled by the different sizes of the rear derailleur for the following drive combinations XX or X0:
Crankset 39/26 and casette 11-36

Would that require a medium or large rear derailleur?

And will that change if the new crankset with 38/24 is coming out? Would that require another rear derailleur?

Thanks!

·
The SRAM guy
46 Posts
You can use a medium cage, just be aware you may lose some of the small-small gears, which you should stay away from anyway. Big-big is still fine. Make sure you size the chain properly. changing to a smaller chain ring may require you to shorten the chain a link.

FYI, i use a short cage on my long travel 2x10 bikes with no problem, you just lose the ability to go small-small without the chain losing tension.

·
The SRAM guy
46 Posts
Be aware of the official recomendations as opposed to what you "can" do. Officially you should not use a short cage RD with a 2x10 system. :)

·
Registered
658 Posts
I think you only NEED a long cage when you run a 3 ring crankset. I've heard that a medium cage will shift better with a 2 ring crankset and you don't need the long one without a large front ring. Correct me if I'm wrong. I like the extra clearance a shorter
cage will give me when I ride on rocks so when I replace it I want a shorter one (Medium).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Long cage or Medium cage?

I bought a sram xo rear derailleur on ebay. The seller claimed it was medium cage, which is what I want for my xo 2x10, 26-39, 11-36 set up. However, the cage seems really long for a medium. I have an xtr long cage 9 speed rear derailleur on my bike now and it's way longer than that derailleur. Is there any way to tell if I have a medium or long cage derailleur by what is written on the derailleur? Thanks.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Sounds like he sent you a long one. I don't think it will work with shimano shifters anyway unless it has the same acuation ratio. Shimano shifters are 1:2 ratio and most (but not all)
sram setups are 1:1 ratio. I'm not 100% sure with the high-end setups though. I do know some srams have a 1:1 ratio like there attack shifter/derailluer setups do. Being an X-type sram then it will probably be 1:1 and I don't know if the XTR shifter is still 1:2 or not. I've never had the money to afford
an XTR shifter!

·
Registered
658 Posts
No worries there then. Must be some $$$ for all that! I just got a Stylo crankset and It's sweet. The XX and XO line is even sweeter and lighter than mine!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Definitely some $$$ for the xo setup. I have been trying to buy used or parted parts as much as I can. I just want to make sure I put together the right stuff. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
658 Posts
If the XTR stuff is still good, then I would keep it for sure, in case you get another 9 spd or go back to it. I'm thinking about single speed next!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts