Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not really happy with my current platform pedals - my BigHit came with some crappy ones that had short pressed in pins that I could not get a grip on. So, I bought some Odyssey BMX pedals on the recommendation of my LBS (they have screws instead) but I still cannot get enough grip. I have even swapped out the screws for the longer ones that were included - still sliding around. I think the problem comes from not having any pins in the middle of the pedal, only on the outsides, as I keep sliding forward so my foot rests on the arches, not the balls of my feet. I have always used clipless for Trail & XC, and really would like to not fall back on that crutch for DH, as I like to bail a lot and live.

So the question - I don't care about the price or the weight, what do you guys recommend?

I have been considering Shinburgers, or maybe NYC Freerides? I do wear shinguards, and have been WARNED about the 'burgers. If there are any others I am not thinking of, please let me know. And yes, I am wearing sufficiently "grippy" shoes.

Thanks

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Look at the Azonic Fusions, I have a set of those and they grip really well on my Vans and Lakai's. As well as the DK's that are on my V-10 but the Fusions are nice, they have threaded pins on them so it seems like they grip onto your shoe better and are only like $27 from Jensonusa.

·
Beyond the stars
745 Posts
I got mine from Universal Cycles . . .

for like $24 or something, shipping and all it's about the same and Uni takes forever to ship.

You could also try Azonic A-Frames, they have pins in the middle if I remember correctly, but they are heavy, and sometimes priciey at like $50 bucks but that's not too bad considering Shinburgers are like $100 bucks and up.

Fusions are nice, but A-Frames have more pins.

Attachments

·
SamIAm
2,038 Posts
it might not be your peddles.

i used to think that my peddles sucked ass for the longest time, untill i was just riding around town with my skate shoes on. they stuck like glue, so i tried them biking and i never sliped. felt almost like clipless.

try some different shoes out and see if that helps out at all. skate shoes with soft soles and flat bottoms work great.

·
Xtremely Moderate
3,098 Posts
I second the A-frames motion, but you gotta get grippy skate shoes too.
The Vans honeycomb bottoms have worked well for me w/ the A-frames.

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
Truvativ Hollzfeller..

I've had really good luck with Truvativ Hollzfellers. Very grippy and low profile for better balance, helps to keep your feet from slipping off. My only issue so far is the price, they're pretty $$.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
e[I said:
o]I second the A-frames motion, but you gotta get grippy skate shoes too.
The Vans honeycomb bottoms have worked well for me w/ the A-frames.
I like the look of the Vans, but around here they are $100+cdn!! Is there anywhere to get Vans fairly cheap??

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
fsrxc said:
I like the look of the Vans, but around here they are $100+cdn!! Is there anywhere to get Vans fairly cheap??
internet. and really with todays prices thats not a lot to pay for shoes, which is bs cause they shouldn't cost so much.

·
Xtremely Moderate
3,098 Posts
fsrxc said:
Watch for 'em on sale on the internet shops.

And there's umpteen different styles of Vans that have the honeycomb bottoms on 'em.
Some are more expensive than others.

Also there are other non-honeycombs that work well. I also have a pair of 661's that work well, but the Vans work better.

In fact I really don't like using clipless pedal that much anymore even for XC.

these might help:

www.sierratradingpost.com
www.zappos.com

·
Flyin Canine
2,274 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
i just use some POS $15 pedals but i rely on my shoes to keep the grip i wear DC alias remix's the ones created by travis barker the drummer from blink-182 the grip on the bottom is really good... yeah they are really pricey but i only use them for urban so they dont get all dirty

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.