Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ya I know they are both old school but so am I. I have not ridden mtn bikes regularly for about close to 10 years. I just bought an older Fischer to compete in adventure races. It came witn Shimano 747s but I own a pair of Onza with the elastomers from my mtn biking days.

I would have to buy cleats for the shimanos and the onzas are ready to go with my shoes. Is there a reason to switch them up. Keep in mind I live in Louisiana now and the largest climbs I have to endure are 12 feet high, leavies to keep the water out of the city. The most technical obstacles are the potholes in the streets; but please dont under estimate New Orleans pot holes.

If I was to go with the shimanos which cleats should I get?

Thanks
Jordan

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
the onzas are death traps. I had them. One of the biggest mistakes I ever made.

The 747 mechanism is proven, and reliable. It's nothing fancy, but it's been copied by ritchey and wellgo and is used all over the place. No brainer, keep the 747s...

·
Registered
463 Posts
You MUST use the 747's. I have had both, and I still have and ride the 747's I bought like 8 years ago. Shimano hasn't really improved over that design too much. But notice no-one makes elastomer style pedals anymore (I think). They were really terrible. -t

·
WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE!?!
403 Posts
The only superior feature the Onza's have is that they work much better than the Shimano stuff in mud, snow, or ice. But if you're riding in mud, snow, and ice, a much better move is to go spend $75 for a set of Time ATACs.

If it were my choice I'd go with the 747s though.

·
Registered
43 Posts
H.O. are summer pedals :D
They works terrible in muddy conditions...

Take the 747. :cool:

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
Skygrounder said:
The only superior feature the Onza's have is that they work much better than the Shimano stuff in mud, snow, or ice. .
Yeah, because compared to how they work in the clear and dry, there isn't much difference, they suck all around...

For the love of god, do NOT go with/use the Onzas...trust me on this...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts