Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As Christmas approaches, I'm planning to buy a GX AXS derailleur for myself. Completely unnecessary, nothing wrong with my current one, but I've heard and read so much about it, I just wanna see what it's like.

Which component(s) have you, or do you plan to splurge on? Something like that oil slick cassette, eeWings crankset or some other completely unnecessary and overpriced component!

·
Registered
17,174 Posts
Lezyne Shock Digital Drive floor pump for my air suspension. It's ruined mini-pumps for me.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Just got a Rockshox Sid ultimate 120. Had to have it, love it! need to sell my fox sc34 now.

Reactions: mik_git

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,476 Posts
Blue Hope E4s for my fatbike.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Caron rims with fancy hubs.

Specifically, WAO unions on onyx hubs (classic rear, vesper front).

In my mind it’s actually likely to save me money in the long run. If I damage a rim, I get a new one for free unlike any aluminum rims. The hubs should last longer than my nova tech stuff I had before, and these I can change to different hub standards I’d needed. Also, should generally require less maintenance (staying true longer).

Thats what I’m hoping for anyway :).

·
high pivot witchcraft
5,470 Posts
As Christmas approaches, I'm planning to buy a GX AXS derailleur for myself. Completely unnecessary, nothing wrong with my current one, but I've heard and read so much about it, I just wanna see what it's like.

Which component(s) have you, or do you plan to splurge on? Something like that oil slick cassette, eeWings crankset or some other completely unnecessary and overpriced component!
XX1 AXS. Would have got GX but all they had was one XX1 left. Crazy expensive. And worth every penny.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I was once gonna upgrade to a high end derailleur, because that's what a serious rider does, right?

So I did the math and calculated that the replacement cost was more than the weight savings at the price of gold.

That's when I realized that splurging like that was literally insane.

·
Registered
8,840 Posts
Caron rims with fancy hubs.

Specifically, WAO unions on onyx hubs (classic rear, vesper front).

In my mind it’s actually likely to save me money in the long run. If I damage a rim, I get a new one for free unlike any aluminum rims. The hubs should last longer than my nova tech stuff I had before, and these I can change to different hub standards I’d needed. Also, should generally require less maintenance (staying true longer).

Thats what I’m hoping for anyway :).
Carbon rims have both lasted way longer, ridden way better, and been less maintenance than their aluminum counterparts for me. They're worth the buy-in. Not sure about caron though.
Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sidewalk

·
All fat, all the time.
10,147 Posts
I was once gonna upgrade to a high end derailleur, because that's what a serious rider does, right?

So I did the math and calculated that the replacement cost was more than the weight savings at the price of gold.

That's when I realized that splurging like that was literally insane.
Did you buy gold instead?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 219 Posts