Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 236 Posts

· Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As Christmas approaches, I'm planning to buy a GX AXS derailleur for myself. Completely unnecessary, nothing wrong with my current one, but I've heard and read so much about it, I just wanna see what it's like.

Which component(s) have you, or do you plan to splurge on? Something like that oil slick cassette, eeWings crankset or some other completely unnecessary and overpriced component!

· Registered
Top Fuel
1,706 Posts
Abbey chain tool—it’s a tad excessive, but really is amazing.

· Registered
20,837 Posts
Lezyne Shock Digital Drive floor pump for my air suspension. It's ruined mini-pumps for me.

· Registered
9 Posts
Abbey chain tool—it’s a tad excessive, but really is amazing.
Omg ouch! 😣 That is one sweet looking tool but I’m going to stick with my $35 Park Tool chain tool lol.

· Registered
2,805 Posts
Caron rims with fancy hubs.

Specifically, WAO unions on onyx hubs (classic rear, vesper front).

In my mind it’s actually likely to save me money in the long run. If I damage a rim, I get a new one for free unlike any aluminum rims. The hubs should last longer than my nova tech stuff I had before, and these I can change to different hub standards I’d needed. Also, should generally require less maintenance (staying true longer).

Thats what I’m hoping for anyway :).

· high pivot witchcraft
6,721 Posts
As Christmas approaches, I'm planning to buy a GX AXS derailleur for myself. Completely unnecessary, nothing wrong with my current one, but I've heard and read so much about it, I just wanna see what it's like.

Which component(s) have you, or do you plan to splurge on? Something like that oil slick cassette, eeWings crankset or some other completely unnecessary and overpriced component!
XX1 AXS. Would have got GX but all they had was one XX1 left. Crazy expensive. And worth every penny.

· Registered
20,837 Posts
$85 titanium cleats, anyone?

· Registered
14,705 Posts
Caron rims with fancy hubs.

Specifically, WAO unions on onyx hubs (classic rear, vesper front).

In my mind it’s actually likely to save me money in the long run. If I damage a rim, I get a new one for free unlike any aluminum rims. The hubs should last longer than my nova tech stuff I had before, and these I can change to different hub standards I’d needed. Also, should generally require less maintenance (staying true longer).

Thats what I’m hoping for anyway :).
Carbon rims have both lasted way longer, ridden way better, and been less maintenance than their aluminum counterparts for me. They're worth the buy-in. Not sure about caron though.
Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

· All fat, all the time.
11,122 Posts
I was once gonna upgrade to a high end derailleur, because that's what a serious rider does, right?

So I did the math and calculated that the replacement cost was more than the weight savings at the price of gold.

That's when I realized that splurging like that was literally insane.
Did you buy gold instead?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 236 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.