Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fairly new to the MTB era. I'm an ex BMXer and MXer and looking to buy a hardtail in the price range of 500-700.

I've test road many bikes and I'm caught between the Fisher Tassajara and the Specialized rockhopper comp. I've ridden both bikes a few times and can't decide. They feel similiar and I believe the components are similiar in comparison.

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

My riding style consists of off road trails. I like to do anything that is scary and dangerous, thus needing a heavy duty bike. I've been told that no bike is indestructible, but I would like it to hold up under harder riding conditions.

Does anyone have any advice for a newbee?

Thanks,

PH

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I've been hearing from others but I wanted to get some more opinions on the issue.

I keep hearing that most people love the Fisher but I don't usually get responses about the Specialized.

Thanks for the response.

PH

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
pick the Tass.

I ride specialize stumpjumper FSR. In your situation, both Tass and rockhopper are good bikes however, the rockopper has one very annoying engineering drawback. The shifting cable for front derailuer runs along downward tube as bare cable. When this gets dirty, it causes your shifting to be slower. I don't know why specialized has change this design.

I would pick the Tass because the shifting cable is not exposed like the specialized. You have to check the Tass at bike shop for shifting cable location.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is almost overwhelming. Now I'm looking at Kona's???

What is the hardest riding bang for the buck in my price range? Is there others I should be looking at?

What bike can stand up to abuse?

Thanks,

PH

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hardrock worth it?

mr plow said:
Specialized Hardrock Disc Pro.
A great bike for $700!
Check it out here.
Look at the bue/black flame version!!
So what does everyone actually think of that bike, I rode it today (in a parking lot) and I like it. I wanna know how it stands up to "free riding" though. I'm looking for something I can hit the trails with as well as get around town. You guys think that's the way to go?

·
my girl rides also
650 Posts
I'd suggest a hardtail if you're going to be doing trail as well as crusing around town. Speaking personally, I love having a hardtail for crusing the streets....it's easier to mash down on the pedals and accelarate pretty fast on a ht. It's also lighter, and you have less to worry about in general.

my 2 cents.

scott

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mr. Plow...

You would go with the hardrock disc over the rockhopper comp?

I'm just curious as to what your reasoning is behind this. I believe the components on the hopper are better than the rock right?

As far as disc brakes go... Do I need them if I'm not cruising the mountains??? I know they are nicer but would you recommend them for me if I'm not crusing serious slopes??

I guess I thought disc's were only necessary for steep slopes???

Thanks,

PH

·
Registered
11,771 Posts
Far more control..

PavementHater said:
Mr. Plow...

You would go with the hardrock disc over the rockhopper comp?

I'm just curious as to what your reasoning is behind this. I believe the components on the hopper are better than the rock right?

As far as disc brakes go... Do I need them if I'm not cruising the mountains??? I know they are nicer but would you recommend them for me if I'm not crusing serious slopes??

Thanks,

PH
and modulation allowing you to scrub speed faster, brake deeper into corners and stop in short distances with far less brake fade then v-brakes. Disc brakes are the shlt

·
Registered
40 Posts
PavementHater said:
Mr. Plow...

Thanks,

PH
V-brakes worked well before discs were available, and they still do. But discs are another leap forward. I just started using discs and i will never go back the v-brakes, no matter where i ride.
Plus they look heaps wicked too!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Which bike is going to be the easiest to upgrade??????

Keeping in mind I will be using this for mostly freeriding...

Alright,

These are my final questions so I'll quit beating on this thread

1. Which bike is tougher
2. Which bike is lighter
3. Which bike is easier to upgrade

I dont want to buy a bike and be hacked off when I find out that It isn't worth upgrading...

Thanks,

PH

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bought the Tass...

I ended up getting the Fisher for a great price so I went with it.

I absolutely love it, even though I've already modified the shape of the rear rim. I probably should've gone with FS, but I guess I'll have to learn how to land with grace. :D

Thanks for the help on this,

PH

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.