Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 Specialized Hardrock Comp $200 + 2 hour drive to pickup.

2004 Haro Escape 8.1 $379 + shipping

Both are in great condition. I won't do anything crazy. 2-4ft jumps, otherwise moderate-heavy XC.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Couple of thoughts

My knee-jerk reaction is to say Haro, as it has an overall better spec, but frankly I don't think it's worth 379.00+ shipping. The Hardrock at $200 is much more in line with it's value as a used bike, IMO, but I don't care for the specs.

If I were in this dilemma, I'd offer the guy selling the Haro $350 ($375 TOPS) including shipping, otherwise I'd walk. The only reason I'd pay more is if I lived somewhere in a rural that bikes weren't readily available. This kind of forces the whole issue of shipping costs.

Bob

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Call_me_Clyde said:
My knee-jerk reaction is to say Haro, as it has an overall better spec, but frankly I don't think it's worth 379.00+ shipping. The Hardrock at $200 is much more in line with it's value as a used bike, IMO, but I don't care for the specs.

If I were in this dilemma, I'd offer the guy selling the Haro $350 ($375 TOPS) including shipping, otherwise I'd walk. The only reason I'd pay more is if I lived somewhere in a rural that bikes weren't readily available. This kind of forces the whole issue of shipping costs.

Bob
Sorry, the guy w/ the Haro has a pair of Specialized shoes (size 11, I wear 13's, plus I'm not big on used shoes:eek: ) and a helmet inculded. Plus I have to arrange shipping b/c it's a pickup only auction.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Another thought

Just an FYI, neither bike has a fork that will handle 4 ft. drops.

As for haggling, just state your case. The bike is a nice bike, but it's used and the market for used bikes is such that their value depreciates quickly and significantly. You don't even need to remind the seller of this fact. Just tell the seller "I've thought about the bike, and while it's in fine condition, I'm willing to offer you {X} dollars."

Bob

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
Wait and save. Sorry but those two bikes are both junk, in my opinion. I hate to be so blunt but you need a better frame and better components if you're going to do any aggressive riding at all.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
alright guys, how about an 05 haro escape 8.3? 599 buy it now price w/ 50 for shipping? current bids are at 330 w/ 3 days left, excellent condition.....i dont know how much longer i can wait....we just got hit w/ 70 degree weather!

BTW 4ft jumps are what i hope to work up to. right now im sitting on the 1 foot line w/ the current bike holding me back. im willing to upgrade the fork later i just wanna get some progress goin

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
how about this, go to http://www.ibexbikes.com/index.html, http://www.rscycle.com/, or http://bikesdirect.com/, find a bike that you like that fits you budget, add to shopping cart, go to checkout, pay for bike, wait several day for bike to arrive, assemble bike when it arrives, then hit the trails!

if you buy a new bike you get what you pay for and you get a warranty. buy used and you might end up with a lemon. if you do buy used make sure you check the bike out in person before buying.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.