Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 GREAT Cannondale's and have been getting ready this year to sell or trade one? I have a 1995 F500 Black fade to Silver with Macgura Race Lite Brakes- Xray Shifters- Eaton Monkey Lite Bars- Svance Seat Post- SDG Comp TI Kevlar Seat- HeadShok, etc. and then I have a 1998 F1000 w/Headshok -Carbon Fiber Bar and mostly stock and Hardly used, Great Red w/yellow Print. I hardly use 1 but have 2 GREAT ones. If you had to sell one and keep one which one would you and which one would be worth more? The F500 older but has a lot of extra's and the F1000 Stock but hardly used?? Help me out here, , Which one??

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WOW can not believe you guys really want me to get rid of the Cannondales?? At least I know that Cannondales do not hold much good for you's LOL!
What about my 1953 Vett , I guess you would most likely say "take apart and sell all the parts on Ebay and then buy a Vett made in the last 10 tears" ??!! LOL
I will sell one but not both , newer is not always better. If I took my F500 and took apart that whole bike I think I could get more but I would rather sell as a whole, let some one else do it? Maybe?:eekster:

·
Missouri sucks...
2,305 Posts
I won't deny that they're old school cool but I was assuming you actually use it for it's intended purpose. If you do indeed log quite a few miles on your bike then I would get something newer. A lot has changed in the past 15-20 years! You wouldn't commute everyday in your old Vette, would you??? If you're going to hang whatever you keep on the wall as a piece of art then keep one but if you haven't ridden a modern bike then you're missing out:/

Oh, and I ride a Cannondale F29 ONE with a Lefty so I'm not an anti Cannondale guy;)

By the way, if you MUST keep one then I would take all that nifty stuff off of the black one and swap it to the red one and keep the red with all the goodies... It's newer. haha

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
how about keeping none and doing the smart thing strip down both bikes and sell the antique parts take the money and get you something that is not a decade and a half old.

if you have a 1953 corvette only 300 of them were made that first year and they are being auctioned for $400K i imagine that you can probably afford a newer bicycle.

sentimental value don't mean jack squat money does...i used to restore and collect 70's era muscle bikes and had a quite a few schwinn krate bikes including the rare cotton picker and rarer grey ghost when the time came that the market for these got crazy i sold em' took my profits and bought a new 07 Cannondale systemsix team si 1 with SRM something that i could actually enjoy and use.

unless your sitting on tinkers 96' Olympic cannondale or some no longer made volvo cannondale team downhill bike that might look good in some game/media room at your house for a conversation starter having a couple of old obsolete bikes is just clutter.

if all the stuff on those bikes is vintage 90's then there are collectors and guys that restore old bikes that will pay a premium for those parts so once again strip em down and sell em' off and get you a new fleece lined car cover for your 53 corvette.

·
Ridin' dirty!
2,230 Posts
I totally agree with HAL...(and this doesn't happen too often :D )
I tried to sell my MINT vintage cannondale Delta V 900 bike which was build from ground up with really nice parts and in showroom condition but the maximum bid was like $350.- !!!
That would not even cover the crank set that was on it, so I stripped it down, sold the individual parts and got almost $1.700.- for everything.
So yes, it's definitely worth it to sell the individual parts rather than the bike as a whole. :thumbsup: .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK OK I give!! I have to tell you I do like older stuff, but if you think that a COMPLETE take down on the F500 and the F1000 is the way to go, I take a shot? I think if I can get all the F1000 parts off and put all my add ons from my F500 I could do it and not kill myself(Hang) Next question is what bike to get, I like Hardtails and I do not like one leg ones either(no offense here) I look for lightness(not Carbon) and do like Flat bar road bikes. Any suggestions? Also my Vett is a 1959(sorry about that) and is in pieces in my rebuilders shop do you know what a upper radiator hose clamp ORIGINAL can be found?? LOL! Last question did you really get $1700 for all the parts and frame on Ebay? Thanks again guys:thumbsup:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I do like riding my OLD bikes but I went into the garage and looked at both of them sleeping the winter away I knew I needed to change one at least. So one will go , tell me how much of a difference is there between these old F1000 and what is in it's place now? Is it that much better? But I will sell off what I can and put together what ever is left to make 1 old one and find a new bike to try and seewhat is the difference? Now Which One to Buy??

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
legendzzz said:
tell me how much of a difference is there between these old F1000 and what is in it's place now???
how much difference is there between a Commodore 64 and a M-Tech D900C?

how much difference is there between a 1960 Corvette and a 2010 ZR1 Corvette?

how much difference is there between a 1995 Super V 1000 and a 2010 Scalpel team?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Personally I wouldn't get rid of either, if they mean something to you. You won't get enough for them to replace the sentimental value. If you want a new bike I'd just go buy a new bike, and ride the old ones when you feel like it.

Some people sound like roadie snobs.

·
Registered
254 Posts
what Hal said is what i would do personally. I have a really hard time selling bikes but when you see the new Flash 29er 3 with a MSRP of 1799.00 meaning you should be able to get it for 1600 or less depending on your relationship with your LBS. I would part both bikes out and maybe have to add a little to step up to a modern hardtail with lefty. You could also look at the Trail SL 29er 4 with an MSRP of 1000.00 meaning you could probably part out both bikes and be at worst square on the deal. Maybe a little extra if you were lucky on Ebay and got a few bidding wars on vintage parts some people covet. My 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.