Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Which one to get?? FSRXC or SJ Comp or Expert

2K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  pollysam 
#1 ·
I'm trying to decide which bike to get. I am a 5'5" female rider. I like climbing and cross country trails. I hate it when the bike's bottom bracket hits everything. I like bikes which are light and simple. I am trying to decide between the following bikes:
FSR xc
Stumpjumper or Saphire Comp
Stumpjumper or Saphire Expert

WHat is the difference between the FSR and the Stumpjumper?
Is it worth the extra money to get the brain?
Are there any differences with the saphire vs. Stumpjumper?
(the only other bike I'm considering the Rockymtn element 50 or 70 but I'm leaning toward a specialized)
Thanks!

#2 ·
I just bought an FSR XC Expert and am very happy with it. For my riding, similiar to yours, it'll get everything done at a much cheaper price. The Stumpy comp is 2400 vs the 1700 my Expert cost. The Stumpy is going to have an inch more travel, and better fork. Again though, if you don't need the extra travel why spend the extra money. The brakes are both hydraulic (3's on the FSR and 5's on the SJ), wheels are DT Swiss for both, XT and Deore components on the FSR and X-9/7 ,LX on the SJ.

#4 ·
SJ Comp is great

Consider the safire if you feel you need a women's specific frame (shorter top tube).

The SJ comp is an amazing bike for the price point. I got the Expert for the brain shock as i was used to it on my old Epic. After riding the expert now I would not go for the expert solely to get the brain as it rides now like the Comp model would on propedal anyway. Save a grand.

I don't think that you will have any problem hitting the bottom bracket on any of these bikes.

#5 ·
Go the Comp

My wife and I both tested the SJ Expert over a 21 mile ride 5 weeks ago. Great bikes to ride. In the end we settled on the Comp. Or main reason was that the cost of two Experts was getting to much for us. We have both now been on two good rides since getting our new bikes and they perform great. Both of us can/t really tell if there is a difference between "Brain" and "Non Brain". There's two possible reasons for this. 1. We've both traded up from hard core "XC" hard tails and these are the first full suspension bikes we've had. 2. Our 20 mile test ride was on fast rocky 1-2 mile desents and long climbs were as our normal riding is forest trails found locally. In summary, my personal feeling is that without testing both bikes on the same trail at the same time, I can't see its of any value to spend the extra money on the Expert.
In the end due to supply problems my wife got the Safire Comp (L). Shes 5'10 and weighs about 62kg. She had initally tested the mens medium. She finds the womens frame a great fit (hated the womens specific saddle).'
Hope this little rant helps.

#6 ·
Funny, I was also torn between the FSRxc and the SJ Comp and ended up going with the SJ Comp based upon my riding style (mostly technical type single track, rock gardens, etc.).

The advantage of the FSR (beyond price) is that it will climb better than the SJ due to its steeper geometry (you'll be more stretched out). The advantage of the SJ is that it will be more plush and confident on the downhill due to its slacker geometry (you'll be more upright). I wouldn't worry about the bottom bracket height, they're only slightly different.

Hope this helps...

#7 ·
in my opinion the xc does nothing better than the sj, you have a point about climbing but the sj is a lighter bike with a great all round geo i dont think it sacrifices anything over the xc, the bone stock sj comp i tried out climbed just as well as my 23.7 pound epic but thats just me, the xc is a good bike i had one, the only thing that let it down was the fork but the sj is an all round classier ride

#8 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. So it sounds like the concensus is for the sj comp. The brain isn't worth the extra $ and the xc is heavier than the sj. I'll be able to test the sj comp or the saphire at my local shop but they don't have the expert to demo and they don't have the xc to demo either. And no problems with the bottom bracket. I'd love any more input if anyone has it. Thanks again!

#15 ·
re: Brain is nice

but if money is a factor in the purchase I am not sure it is worth an extra grand.

This is my second brain equipped bike and I feel that the idea is a great one. I am not sure, though, that I really need it on this bike. I think Specialized put it on the Expert to cater to a small percentage of riders who would like to race with the SJ instead of having to buy a dedicated race bike. Just my two cents.

I personally bought the SJ expert for the higher end componentry (50%) and brain (50%). After riding the expert for 2 months now - I would still buy it again, but if price was in any way an issue I would be extremely happy with the comp.

I do like the brain, don't get me wrong, but with the way I ride the SJ, I keep the brain shock very active and, set up this way, it seems to mimic the feel of propedal equipped bikes I had previously demoed (but not rode hard). So, for me the extra expense for the brain alone would not be worthwhile for me knowing what i now know.

I actually was seriously considering the SJ Elite as well but the price difference between this and the Expert at my local shop was only a few hundred (screaming deal on the Expert) so I splurged for the brain.

#16 ·
pollysam said:
I'm trying to decide which bike to get. I am a 5'5" female rider. I like climbing and cross country trails. I hate it when the bike's bottom bracket hits everything. I like bikes which are light and simple. I am trying to decide between the following bikes:
FSR xc
Stumpjumper or Saphire Comp
Stumpjumper or Saphire Expert

WHat is the difference between the FSR and the Stumpjumper?
Is it worth the extra money to get the brain?
Are there any differences with the saphire vs. Stumpjumper?
(the only other bike I'm considering the Rockymtn element 50 or 70 but I'm leaning toward a specialized)
Thanks!
I unloaded an Expert SJ just a few months back, I am now riding an Enduro SL and loving it! The Enduro is by far a much better handling and faster bike than the SJ!!!!!!! You should really look at the SL... especially the 2008! And the price on the Enduro is no more and most likely less than the SJ. As far as weight: my SJ weighed 30 plus and my SL is just under the 30# mark!

just my 2 cents

#17 ·
flyag1 said:
I unloaded an Expert SJ just a few months back, I am now riding an Enduro SL and loving it! The Enduro is by far a much better handling and faster bike than the SJ!!!!!!! You should really look at the SL... especially the 2008! And the price on the Enduro is no more and most likely less than the SJ. As far as weight: my SJ weighed 30 plus and my SL is just under the 30# mark!

just my 2 cents
what models SJ and SL did you have. upgrades?

#18 ·
Linga115 said:
what models SJ and SL did you have. upgrades?
I bought a2007 SJ Expert last year in August and then bought a 2007 Enduro Elite frame and built it up in November of 2007. I was swapping time on the two bikes until January of 08. Nether of the two were really what I needed for the local trails so I bought a Cannondale Rush in Feburary of 2008 trying to find something I could dedicate to xc riding. The stumpy seems to have to steep of head angle and really did not corner worth a damn. The 2007 Enduro would not climb worth a damn and was slow in the flat sections, so I was hopping the Rush would fill a nitch! What I found was that the rush felt like a road bike, the stumpy felt very similar, and the enduro was good in all parts except the climbs. Basically the geo of the Enduro let me corner, downhill, and was OK in the flats... but the weight was just to much to keep up with xc riders.... I looked under every rock to find a "bike to fill the nitch" but just could not bear to give up the corning and descending traits or the Enduro... So I researched the SL and found that all riders reported the SL would climb, corner, and downhill. I then compared the geo of the SL to my 07 Endro and found they were basically the same. However lots of reported issues with the E150 fork and the rear shock kelp me at bay! I looked everywhere for a better "best" bike and could not find anything with the geo of my beloved 07 Enduro... except the SL. So finally I decided I would buy the Enduro Expert frameset and move the components off my Rush to the new frameset.

I love the bike for what it does..."FAST" and is corners better than 07 Endoro. It is not nearly as plush, as a matter of fact it seem spikey at times but so far it has held all the corners and climbed like nothing I have ever ridden. I am keeping both shocks (front and rear) wide open on both rebound and compression and the travel set @ 150mm. I have tried lowering the travel on the fork and find the geo changes dramatically... for the worst in my opinion. Put the weight on the rear of the bike and it just rails the corners, drop the travel on the fork and you have to weight the front end to keep it on track. I like weighting the rear... not the front as weighting the front will result in you going over the bars:mad:

I am running XT cassette, XTR chain, 2008 hollowtech cranks with a GoldTooth bash guard, DT 5.1s & Hadley rear hub, Nevagals 2.35 Stick e on front with 2.1 triple on rear. Brakes are the older 4 piston Shimanno 4 piston with 6" rotors. I haven't weighed the bike but based on the feel of the Rush it's lighter, so I am expecting sub 30 pounds. (Size M)

I picked up 2 MPH average speed on our local trails, 4 other GOOD friends have ridded this bike and they are calling it the dream bike:)

#23 ·
pollysam said:
Wouldn't the bigger shock make it heavier and also harder to climb? Yes, we have good downhill here, but I've got to get to the top! (no lifts for me!)
If you like to climb I'd say the Enduro is the wrong choice. Epic and SJ would be better for that. But then again, this is a matter of personal preference so arguing over it is moot. Your best bet is to go to a dealer that has a demo program and just try the bikes out and see which best suits your body geometry and riding style. Granted, not much can be told with just one ride... but it's better than keyboard racing.

#25 ·
I, too, am a female rider. I just traded in my '07 FSRxc comp and bought a SJ expert for the extra travel. I was riding with people who had the '07 SJ expert and I was unable to clear a lot of things they could...an apples to apples comparison. I demo'd the SJcomp but wanted better componentry and I like Shimano shifters so was going to get the elite because I didn't want the brain (worried about yet another thing to go wrong), but the LBS that sold me the FSRxc sold me the '08 SJ for $2600 and swapped out the parts I wanted. With the FSRxc I had constant pedal bob and found I didn't use the lock-out because every time I was headed uphill I needed both hands on the handlebars! The brain, much to my surprise, is extremely nice...I can ride so much better with this bike than I was able to with the xc. The proprietary shock size scared me (and still does) but the same issue is true of the SJ comp.

I would go for the expert (and did). I made the mistake of buying the xc a year ago thinking that it would be all I needed, but was ultimately unhappy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.