Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Steve
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I originally made a thread asking for advice on what bike I should buy, and have now Narrowed it down to a few.

2008 Norco Manik: http://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain/shore_hardtail/manik.php
2008 Norco Rampage: http://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain/shore_hardtail/rampage.php
2008 Banshee Wildcard: http://www.bansheebikes.com/bikes/wildcard.html
2007 Transition Vagrant: http://www.transitionbikes.com/2007/Vagrant.cfm

My personal favorite of the 4 bikes is the Norco Manik. I just like the look of it and I am quite a fan of Norcos.

For those who haven't read my other thread:
I'm looking for something that I can take out to the downhill tracks, give a beating, and bring home in one piece. I'm not looking to win any races, I just want something I can have a lot of fun on.
However I still want to be able to do some Freeride, around the streets and just pretty much just ride over anything. I wont do pure dirt jumps, but I still want to be able to tackle the big gaps and jumps on the way down downhill tracks.

I wont hit any drops higher than 7 foot
I wont hit any gaps longer than 25 foot
At least not for a while... but they are pretty much my current limits and I don't think I will exceed them far.

If you have ridden or own any of these bikes, some info on how they ride would be great. But yeah, I really need help choosing and am really confused on what to buy.

I currently ride a 2004 Norco Sasquatch, which is a great bike, but it's just getting a little old.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Well if you are into a fully, although I would recommend a HT, check out the Bottlerocket. The high point is its 500 dollers less than the wildcard. I dont think you get that the $1700 Wildcard is the frame only...

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
The full squish is going to last you longer than a HT. You sure about passing on the Mongoose Khyber? I just checked, it'll come up to slightly more than AUD$2000 inclusive of shipping.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Will you be buying a complete, or do you have parts to swap over?

I ride a Vagrant and love it. With an adjustable fork like a Domain or lyric, the bike is a jack of all trades. It handles jumps almost as well as my DJ bike and tackles flowy freeride stuff with ease. I dont have have a Transition dealer close by but my LBS was able to get my frame for me with ease and quickly. Hope that helps, thanks or another opportunity to show off my bike :)

·
Steve
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GravityWins said:
Will you be buying a complete, or do you have parts to swap over?

I ride a Vagrant and love it. With an adjustable fork like a Domain or lyric, the bike is a jack of all trades. It handles jumps almost as well as my DJ bike and tackles flowy freeride stuff with ease. I dont have have a Transition dealer close by but my LBS was able to get my frame for me with ease and quickly. Hope that helps, thanks or another opportunity to show off my bike :)
Sweet Ride

I like it, but I dont know how to get Transition bikes in Australia.

How does it go on downhill tracks?

·
Steve
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
juanbeegas said:
The full squish is going to last you longer than a HT. You sure about passing on the Mongoose Khyber? I just checked, it'll come up to slightly more than AUD$2000 inclusive of shipping.
Yeah it doesn't really appeal to me

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
steve695 said:
I'm looking for something that I can take out to the downhill tracks, give a beating, and bring home in one piece. I'm not looking to win any races, I just want something I can have a lot of fun on.
However I still want to be able to do some Freeride, around the streets and just pretty much just ride over anything. I wont do pure dirt jumps, but I still want to be able to tackle the big gaps and jumps on the way down downhill tracks.

I wont hit any drops higher than 7 foot
I wont hit any gaps longer than 25 foot
At least not for a while... but they are pretty much my current limits and I don't think I will exceed them far.
i don't understand why you have 3 hardtails and a wildcard.

you should look at something that has 7 or so front and back.
Say a Stinky, Bullit, AS-X, Dirtbag,, you could find a used one for a pretty good deal.

sorry, if my posted isn't what you're looking for.. but that's what i'd do.

·
Steve
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ryan_daugherty said:
i don't understand why you have 3 hardtails and a wildcard.

you should look at something that has 7 or so front and back.
Say a Stinky, Bullit, AS-X, Dirtbag,, you could find a used one for a pretty good deal.

sorry, if my posted isn't what you're looking for.. but that's what i'd do.
Yeah I know it was a bit of a weird selection, but on a website they are selling 2008 Wildcards really cheap.

I'm pretty lost in confusion. I really don't know what to get, I do however have 40 days before my 18th (which is when I want to buy the chosen bike) so I have plenty of time.

The 2008 Manik, Transition and Evil Imperial all appeal to me. I think I want a hardtail.

After reading a few reviews and riding my own Sasquatch a little harder, I think that those 3 bikes would all be fine downhill, and still good for everything else.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.