Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a set of Oakley Flak Jackets, but the black lenses block too much light. Can anyone recommend which lenses I should buy as replacements for riding in the woods?

·
Registered
774 Posts
I don't know if the Flak Jacket lenses are available in VR28, but it is perfect for pretty much everything. Adequate in bright sunlight and actually brightens and enhances in the heavily wooded trails. If you can swing the extra $$, I also recommend the option of the hydrophobic coating. This is the first lens I have ever used that doesn't get smudged and trashed from sweat and water. Sweat falling inside the lenses runs right off without leaving any marks or smudges.

·
Still learning
876 Posts
I use Oakley Half Jacket with the following lenses:
Black Iridium for clear-sky road riding or racing.
VR28 for clear-sky XC or cloudy road riding/racing.
H.I. Yellow for overcast or dull day XC, or for crits only just needing lights towards the end, or for very dark days on the road, or sometimes when using blue or other similar (eg HID) lights.
Clear for night riding or racing.

I'm probably going to get hold of a set of Ice Iridium to test, which I'm told are good for situations very similar to where I use the VR28s.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I use a M-frame with:
-red iridium for sunny days on the road
-grey lenses for overcast to bright days on the road and on the mtb during the season without leaves
-H.I Yellow for riding in the woods during the summer with the trees in full bloom (which makes them pretty dark even on sunny days) and also for evening and night riding

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.