Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an '05 5 Spot with '05 Minute 1's on. I'm thinking of changing to a new fork (like the idea of a bit more travel and less brake dive) & fancy one of the new breed of quick release thru axle forks for stiffness (will I really notice a difference?)

The Pike seems to get nothing but good reviews, but I'm also considering an '06 Nixon Intrinsic 145mm as can get some very good deals.

I'm very aware of changing the geometry of the bike (dismissed Marzocchis because too tall (& heavy)) and do love it as it is, (but would the extra height make it any worse?) & am thinking of maybe adding Push rockers to help this.

Anyone got any views on this or other options?

I ride mainly XC but do like fast techy downs (as well as ups) & we always do a yearly visit to the Alps or similar for mainly gravity assisted riding, so you could say I do the AM thing (if you can catagorise it!)

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Welcome to mtbr!

My riding seems to be similar to yours and I love my Pike Air U-turn. I really noticed the difference when I switched, but that depends on how "sensitive" one is to changes... I usually am not very sensitive , but this change I could definitely tell..

Remember that you will probably need a new wheel or at least front hub, if your current hub is not convertible to through axle...

Hope this helps somewhat...

·
long standing member
3,099 Posts
If you haven't yet, check out the links in this thread. There're a bunch of good reference material in the Set-up/FAQ thread that's stickied at the top of the Turner forum. From what I've seen on the board here, lot's of Spot riders are liking the Pike, with or without the Push rockers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers Guys!
As I thought, the Pikecertainly seems the way to go! Just haveto decide whether air or coil (to match the Romic) & whether to go for the U-turn option, anyone use it much?

·
GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
3,844 Posts
I just got my hands on a Magura Wotan to demo. I'm itching to try it, but I gotta get my hands on a 20mm front wheel and brake adapter (IS caliper + post mount fork = no good). Looks solid, and if it performs as well as my new Louise brakes, I think I'm sold.

I am blown away by the performance of the Revelation I currently have, but I'd like a bit more travel, stiffness, and a lax headangle. So unless you really need the xtra travel, you may want to check out the Revelation. It will way outperform your minute, no brake dive at all. To me it feels as plush as the Fox Van 130 did, but the Motion Control damping keeps things firm when necessary. And it is pretty light to boot.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
kimzsmith said:
Cheers Guys!
As I thought, the Pikecertainly seems the way to go! Just haveto decide whether air or coil (to match the Romic) & whether to go for the U-turn option, anyone use it much?
I have an Air U-turn and do dial it down a tiny bit sometimes... not on every ride, but it is useful... on the Spot with the new stock or Push rockers I guess you could stay at 140 all the time, but with the std. rockers I would prefer a U-turn model... just my 2c...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.