Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
EXORCIZE
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Haro Mary SS (20") has developed a crack near the top of the seat tube and whether warrantied or not, I'd like to swap my parts to a better frame - lighter, better riding, and a slightly longer cockpit reach (I'm 6'2 w/36" inseam). It should be a production-built SS, probably steel, and a gear-option is a plus. Primary duty will be typical trail riding in the Phoenix area running a susp fork, but sometimes rigid, and some racing.

I've been looking at these, although some are only sold as fully-built bikes, which is probably a deal-breaker. I have little or no trail time on any of them. Any and all advice appreciated!

Vassago Jabberwocky (20"): fits well, rave reviews, but the long stays could make it feel less-than-playful, and its low BB could be annoying in the Dream Draw area, where I ride most. Top choice.
Niner SIR9 (2009, L or XL): would be my 1st choice, but I seem to be between sizes. Can't find an XL to throw a leg over and L feels small.
Niner One9 (XL): more standover and lighter weight than an XL Sir9 could make it feel smaller. Its light weight might make up for being scandium and SS-only. Tempting.
Raleigh XXIX (2009 XL): sold a full bike.
Redline Monocog Flight 29er (21"): sold as full bike.
On-One Inbred (19.5 or 21): probably between sizes. 19.5 felt small.
Jamis, Kona, GT, Surly, Voodoo, Salsa - pretty much ruled these out.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Ryder1 said:
My Haro Mary SS (20") has developed a crack near the top of the seat tube and whether warrantied or not, I'd like to swap my parts to a better frame - lighter, better riding, and a slightly longer cockpit reach (I'm 6'2 w/36" inseam). It should be a production-built SS, probably steel, and a gear-option is a plus. Primary duty will be typical trail riding in the Phoenix area running a susp fork, but sometimes rigid, and some racing.

I've been looking at these, although some are only sold as fully-built bikes, which is probably a deal-breaker. I have little or no trail time on any of them. Any and all advice appreciated!

Vassago Jabberwocky (20"): fits well, rave reviews, but the long stays could make it feel less-than-playful, and its low BB could be annoying in the Dream Draw area, where I ride most. Top choice.
Niner SIR9 (2009, L or XL): would be my 1st choice, but I seem to be between sizes. Can't find an XL to throw a leg over and L feels small.
Niner One9 (XL): more standover and lighter weight than an XL Sir9 could make it feel smaller. Its light weight might make up for being scandium and SS-only. Tempting.
Raleigh XXIX (2009 XL): sold a full bike.
Redline Monocog Flight 29er (21"): sold as full bike.
On-One Inbred (19.5 or 21): probably between sizes. 19.5 felt small.
Jamis, Kona, GT, Surly, Voodoo, Salsa - pretty much ruled these out.
+1 for the Jabber. I have no problems w/ BB height

·
No Clue Crew
7,706 Posts
I'm the same height, perhaps slightly shorter inseam. I rode the 19.5 Inbred for a couple years and it felt perfectly sized to me. Great frame and you can get some pretty spectacular deals on them these days.

Just a preference issue, but for HTs, I'd take steel over aluminum any day. If you are considering aluminum, word is the Misfit DiSSent is very nice. No firsthand experience, though.

·
Something goes here...
2,088 Posts
+2 for nthe JW. I've been riding mine exclusively for close to 2 years. I have no desire to ride any other bike. It fits and rides so well that it made me sell my Dean Ti custom FS. It just wasn't as fun as the JW. The Wet Cat geo is very strange looking but once you're on it, you realize they did something right.

Mrs. V will take good care of you.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Similar situation here - although my current Zion frame is working perfectly fine - I just fancy a new frame - I'm looking for the opposite end of frame sizes too.

The Zion is a good enough frame but one thing it has put me off is EBB's.

I'm favouring the Jabberwocky with the JabberNutz installed from the off.

·
EXORCIZE
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got another spin on the Vassago last night and it did feel great. Kinda started thinking I was a fighter pilot. I haven't had one off road, but I can't imagine a better designed hardtail for high-speed trail booking.

The Inbred is tempting, and $450 shipped for frame and carbon fork is a steal, but my other ride is an On-One Pompino which kinda kills it for me.

·
Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
2,066 Posts
Ryder1 said:
I got another spin on the Vassago last night and it did feel great. Kinda started thinking I was a fighter pilot. I haven't had one off road, but I can't imagine a better designed hardtail for high-speed trail booking.

The Inbred is tempting, and $450 shipped for frame and carbon fork is a steal, but my other ride is an On-One Pompino which kinda kills it for me.
I really liked the way the Inbred rode. Very smooth ride, and the fit was perfect. I had lots of issues with the slotted rear-end though. I ran a QR wheel with Surly Tuggnuts. I had to constantly fuss with the rear wheel alignment. I don't know if the slots had an impression from a previous wheel position or what but no matter how many times I adjusted, the rear wheel would shift position and I'd end up with a slight rotor rub. Probably not a deal breaker (for most) but it annoyed the [email protected] out of me on long climbs...

I'm in the process of building up a Jabberwocky. I like the idea of the tensioners built into the frame. Two friends of mine swear by their Jabbers so I feel pretty confident it'll be a sweet ride.

·
EXORCIZE
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Enel said:
Talk to Foshizzle about an Inbred Frame.
Yes, I've seen his many gushing posts on the Inbred. I got a few minutes offroad on one and it felt good, but the geometry is almost identical to what I have now, and the Vassago has me itching for something different. I've been riding the Mary SS exclusively for almost 2 years.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,287 Posts
From your list, have owned On Ones and Ninerbikes One 9 and by far prefer the On One. Geometry being similar on paper is perhaps something to consider, or not...i could create a bike with identical geo to any bike out there but guess what, it would suck azz becuz I created it...

I have come to HATE EBBs and sliders which are a totally stoopid invention creating nothing but solutions looking for problems. I much prefer simplicity and quiet rides and few moving parts, period...never again will i have a SS with either of the aforementioned inventions, but what do i know...my opinion means as little a POS as does anybody elses here so just go with your gut feel as that is all that ultimately matters

·
EXORCIZE
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone. I've gotten some time on a Longboard and an Inbred and like aspects of both, but it will probably come down to XL SIR9 vs. Vassago Jabberwocky. Since my bike now has another mechanical problem, and the '09 Niners aren't out for a couple weeks or months, Vassago may get the nod - maybe tomorrow.

I don't really have a preference among chain tensioning systems. My Mary's EBB and Pomino's horizontal dropouts (granted, w/v-brakes) have both worked great, and quality sliders look like a great design, too. I do like how an EBB allows for some tunability of the BB height, especially since I run different forks and 180mm cranks on rocky trails.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.