Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
MountainGoat aka OldGoat
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother rode my Epiphany last weekend and loved it. He rode his Xizang this weekend and after the ride said “get me a new bike”. So if you could build a bike up for someone, how would you do it? This should be fun because it is not my credit card this time. Should I push him to the MLII or the Ti or should I only tell him about the Exogrid? To you Ti boys, do you think that titanium is too flexible for a FS bike?

·
Registered
631 Posts
I was unable to notice any additional flex in the Ti version of the ML over the AL version. I ended up buying a Ti and I love it. I mean, what's not to love? All the great ride qualities of a normal ML, plus you can get it in custom sizes, and it might be the most durable bike your money can buy....

just my two cents.

later,
simp

·
GASing
508 Posts
Is money a factor? For the additional $1000 for Ti, and $2000 is the benefit worth it. That's an individual question. I've heard it said that Ti is a waste on a FS bike - I'm sure Ti owners would argue otherwise. Did I feel a huge difference on the Ti RX29er I rode for the last week? Not really huge, but the bike sure was beautiful, it drew attention and made me feel warm and fuzzy.

My personal feeling is that bike technology is moving along quickly, and its better to not get too heavily invested in current technology. Save the money for the next big thing - I'm bracing myself for the El Guapo feeding frenzy :)

·
Registered
695 Posts
funkle said:
Is money a factor? For the additional $1000 for Ti, and $2000 is the benefit worth it. That's an individual question. I've heard it said that Ti is a waste on a FS bike - I'm sure Ti owners would argue otherwise. Did I feel a huge difference on the Ti RX29er I rode for the last week? Not really huge, but the bike sure was beautiful, it drew attention and made me feel warm and fuzzy.

My personal feeling is that bike technology is moving along quickly, and its better to not get too heavily invested in current technology. Save the money for the next big thing - I'm bracing myself for the El Guapo feeding frenzy :)
This pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter. If the guy can afford the Exo bling and doesn't mind putting out tons of coin for something that really has very little actual performance benefit then, by all means, he should pick up an Exo. But for Ti vs Al there's almost no "bling" factor and the benefits are almost non-existent on the ML so why spend the money?

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
ML2....

If he doesn't like it, it won't hurt much. But what's not to love about such terrific frame?

But... bling up that Mofo!!!

Cane Creek Double Barrel, Zoke AM1, CK hubs, DT 5.1 rims.... dang, somebody lend me a CC and I'll build you a bling ride!

·
MountainGoat aka OldGoat
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thankfully money is not an issue for my bro. His thing is light weight. How much will he save by going Ti or Exogrid? He is still on his seven year old Ti hard tail with a Judy up front. So you can see he stays with a bike for a long time. My bro likes to say “I just want to ride”. He is totally leaving it up to me. And I want you input!!!:thumbsup:

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
pachaven said:
Thankfully money is not an issue for my bro. His thing is light weight. How much will he save by going Ti or Exogrid? He is still on his seven year old Ti hard tail with a Judy up front. So you can see he stays with a bike for a long time. My bro likes to say "I just want to ride". He is totally leaving it up to me. And I want you input!!!:thumbsup:
Ti is slightly heavier than Al and Exo is same weight...

I'd sway him to an Al one and if he wants geo tweaks at a later stage, then go for the Exo.

He doesn't know how he's gonna like the bike or how will it fit... hell, his ride is so different and he's been so long on it, that he may not like the newer generation geometry.

But if he likes Ti, maybe you can get him to a Titus dealer with good reputation on bike fit and get him a Custom Exo... he'll be stoked.

You know your brother better... what would be his approach?

·
Ti is addictive
2,894 Posts
Did someone say Ti...........???????

As others have mentioned......straight on Ti is heavier then Al versions.....But I already told you what my Exogrid motolite came in at so that's a wash.......Your brother sounds like me, he buys a bike and never lets it go......Because of that he may as well go with the Ti/Exogrid frame........Do I regret going the way I've gone, hell no. Sad thing is once you get above 5k for a bike, its a wash.......Its just money(lol)......so buy whatever his heart contents and throw logic to the wind......

·
Registered
631 Posts
Huh. It appears as though I am certainly out numbered on this one. Oh well, I still say if he's got the cash, go Ti or Exo. Also, can someone tell to me where they heard that the Ti was heavier than the AL MotoLite? The only place I've seen the weights listed were on Competitive Cyclist's web site and they claimed the Ti was lighter than the AL. This was prior to the new carbon rockers, seat stays, and hydro chain stays. '06 models I believe.

later,
simp

·
Ti is addictive
2,894 Posts
simplton said:
Huh. It appears as though I am certainly out numbered on this one. Oh well, I still say if he's got the cash, go Ti or Exo. Also, can someone tell to me where they heard that the Ti was heavier than the AL MotoLite? The only place I've seen the weights listed were on Competitive Cyclist's web site and they claimed the Ti was lighter than the AL. This was prior to the new carbon rockers, seat stays, and hydro chain stays. '06 models I believe.

later,
simp
From the horses mouth's at Titus.......Mathius, EJ, and a few years back when even Chris Cocalis would answer questions on the phone......Ti is heavier then Al versions but Exo is same/or lighter........
:D

·
Registered
631 Posts
TiEndo said:
From the horses mouth's at Titus.......Mathius, EJ, and a few years back when even Chris Cocalis would answer questions on the phone......Ti is heavier then Al versions but Exo is same/or lighter........
:D
Fair enough. Thanks. Not that either would be doing me any good now. Damn shoulder still FUBAR. 2nd surgery has left me out of comission for another 4-5 months. Meanwhile, my Ti Moto collects dust in the basement. Unbelieveable amounts of:madman: .......

later,
simp

·
Ti is addictive
2,894 Posts
simplton said:
Fair enough. Thanks. Not that either would be doing me any good now. Damn shoulder still FUBAR. 2nd surgery has left me out of comission for another 4-5 months. Meanwhile, my Ti Moto collects dust in the basement. Unbelieveable amounts of:madman: .......

later,
simp
No problem simp, and I hope healing goes better this time around.........Anyways the difference on a standard spec frame (not custom) is around 3-4 ounces difference on small and medium frames, but from sounds of it a fair amount on large/XL, but that's the same as the Al version in the bigger sizes as well.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
pachaven said:
Thankfully money is not an issue for my bro. His thing is light weight. How much will he save by going Ti or Exogrid? He is still on his seven year old Ti hard tail with a Judy up front. So you can see he stays with a bike for a long time. My bro likes to say "I just want to ride". He is totally leaving it up to me. And I want you input!!!:thumbsup:
Get an exogrid motolite with the new carbon rear, 32 talas fork, and an I9 wheelset. :thumbsup:

·
Ti is addictive
2,894 Posts
All Mountain said:
Get an exogrid motolite with the new carbon rear, 32 talas fork, and an I9 wheelset. :thumbsup:
Now that's just spending money for the sake of spending money.......who really needs gear like that......:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.