Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I am getting ready to have a set of wheels built up for my Blitz and was wondering which mavic rim gives the best weight to strength ratio for freeride, EX 823, EX, 729, or the EX 721. These will be paired with Hope Pro 2 hubs. Thanks guys!

Dan

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
chibow said:
Hello all! I am getting ready to have a set of wheels built up for my Blitz and was wondering which mavic rim gives the best weight to strength ratio for freeride, EX 823, EX, 729, or the EX 721. These will be paired with Hope Pro 2 hubs. Thanks guys!

Dan
Right now for my blur 4x, im running the 06 721's laced to hope pro 2's I would say go for the 729 its a lil bit stronger than the 721 but its still reletively light. (ps- the rear hub is incredibly loud for outta the box)

·
-> SickLines.com <-
3,196 Posts
729's are going to have a wider profile and will put more tire on the ground (will make the tire have a flatter profile). It should add some stability as well. 721's are plenty strong as are 729's you just gotta decide if you want a wider rim. What are you running right now for rims/tires?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
mtb_biker said:
729's are going to have a wider profile and will put more tire on the ground (will make the tire have a flatter profile). It should add some stability as well. 721's are plenty strong as are 729's you just gotta decide if you want a wider rim. What are you running right now for rims/tires?
Well last season I was runnign IRC Kujo's 2.65 front and 2.35 rear but this season I plan on runninf 2.5 front and 2.3-2.35 rear...as for the rims my curretn rims are Mavic D3.1 (which I think are the same as the EX823)

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
all rims weigh about the same, so you can't go wrong

823 if you want to go tubeless
721 about the same as a 823 but not tubeless

729 widest (do you really need it that wide-probably not)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I guess I will go with the EX823 as I have had really good success with the D3.1 in the past not that I need UST just perfer the option.

Thanks guys!
Dan

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
chibow said:
Well I guess I will go with the EX823 as I have had really good success with the D3.1 in the past not that I need UST just perfer the option.

Thanks guys!
Dan
if you didn't know the 823 is the newer, stronger version of the D3.1

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
all rims weigh about the same, so you can't go wrong

823 if you want to go tubeless
721 about the same as a 823 but not tubeless

729 widest (do you really need it that wide-probably not)
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

difference between a set of 823s and 721s is about 300 grams. This weight is at almost THE farthest from the center of rotation of the two parts that rotate the fastest on a bike.....

Translation..the weight of a rim (or tire) makes a HUGE difference in how quick a bike is/feels.

show me some other place where you can loose 3/4 of a pound of rotating mass (about equal in feel to 10 lbs of frame weight) without loosing any durability AND actually saving $$......

·
Registered
52 Posts
When I first got my second hand bike with 729's on it, it had about half a dozen dint's identical to the ones Musashi posted, I **** myself. I was heading off to the National Champs the next week and was dreading building having to build up a new wheel half way through the event. I lost count of how many runs it did that week, on a pretty dam rough track, lowish pressures, and I also tend to be abit of a plow :eek: But those dents didn't move one bit in the whole week, and thats when I was sold on the 729/721 rims.

Today I've owned a set of 729's and 2 sets of 721's. The First 721's were laced to hadley's, and after a whole season I had a minor dint in he front. Now I've got another set of 721's laced to Pro 2's (Incredible sound :D) for my hardtail and there going strong aswell.

The Point of this overly long post - 721's then 729's or 823's if you want Tubless :thumbsup:

Happy Trails.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
davep said:
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

show me some other place where you can loose 3/4 of a pound of rotating mass (about equal in feel to 10 lbs of frame weight) without loosing any durability AND actually saving $$......
question to ponder.......how much does tubes weigh

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.