Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Stray Bullet
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a 575 frame and have read a ton on what longer travel forks people like. The Pike and All Mountain series seem to be the weapons of choice.

I'm pretty much set on getting a Marz fork for the 575 for a 2 reasons.
1. my past experience with Marz has been great.
2. I have a 03 Z1FR that was damaged in an auto accident that I can trade in for a new one and get a killer deal.

The AM series looks perfect but the lack of a 20mm axle bothers me (I am 6'5", 210). However I'm not sure if the 150mm of travel the FR series offers is too much. If anyone is running this combo please chime. My other thought was to a AM with the 20mm Z1FR lowers.

What do you guys think.=>

·
EDR
10,309 Posts
at least one person i know of (DesertYota) is running a Sherman Firefly Plus...I think thats a 150mm fork. Not sure what the axel to crown heights are of that or the Zoke...

let me add that i'm running a Pike coil 140mm fork and its great for up or down, I rarely change the travel to climb. So I don't think adding another 10mm is any big deal. Again...not sure about a/c heights though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
running All Mountain SL 150mm

I initially built my 575 with a Manitou Minute 3:00. It's was really light, but I felt the geometry was too steep. I recently switched to the AM SL 150mm version. It feels much better on the DH, but a little tall on steep climbs. I set for travel for ~ 140mm, which is pretty good for both climbing and DH. The SL version travel is set by the negative air setting, but the coil versions of the AM fork allow travel adjust with a knob I think. I went with the SL to save weight. My AM SL feels very plush and stiff. I'm happy.

·
mr. wonderful
879 Posts
Nagaredama said:
I am in the market for a 575 frame and have read a ton on what longer travel forks people like. The Pike and All Mountain series seem to be the weapons of choice.

I'm pretty much set on getting a Marz fork for the 575 for a 2 reasons.
1. my past experience with Marz has been great.
2. I have a 03 Z1FR that was damaged in an auto accident that I can trade in for a new one and get a killer deal.

The AM series looks perfect but the lack of a 20mm axle bothers me (I am 6'5", 210). However I'm not sure if the 150mm of travel the FR series offers is too much. If anyone is running this combo please chime. My other thought was to a AM with the 20mm Z1FR lowers.

What do you guys think.=>
it's the 06 Z1 light that you seek. 20mm through axle, 130-150 adj. travel, coil left leg, air spring right leg, adj. rebound and slow speed compresion dampening, all at about 5-1/2 lbs. it is essentially what many did with their 05 AM1s to make frankenforks.

i have an 05 AM1 on my 575, but i would rather have the 06 Z1 light. i usually ride it at 130 for trail, but when the trail turns down i knock it up to 150 to make my 575 into a little DH sled.

·
Stray Bullet
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dirtbag said:
it's the 06 Z1 light that you seek. 20mm through axle, 130-150 adj. travel, coil left leg, air spring right leg, adj. rebound and slow speed compresion dampening, all at about 5-1/2 lbs. it is essentially what many did with their 05 AM1s to make frankenforks.

i have an 05 AM1 on my 575, but i would rather have the 06 Z1 light. i usually ride it at 130 for trail, but when the trail turns down i knock it up to 150 to make my 575 into a little DH sled.
If Marzocchi will cut me a good deal on a ZAM1 then I will go that route. The TAS feature sounds very attractive as does the TST.

My older Z1 had ETA which was killer on the climbs.

The frame will be on its way late next week.

·
mr. wonderful
879 Posts
Nagaredama said:
If Marzocchi will cut me a good deal on a ZAM1 then I will go that route. The TAS feature sounds very attractive as does the TST.

My older Z1 had ETA which was killer on the climbs.

The frame will be on its way late next week.
marzocchi DOES NOT make a ZAM1. it is a frankenfork made with Z1 lowers and AM1 internals. the 06 Z1 light is as close as you are going to come from marzocchi. it has tas and eta. as far ar the tst goes, it has more adjustment for slow speed compression, it just doesn't use the terms like DS and AM.

·
Stray Bullet
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dirtbag said:
marzocchi DOES NOT make a ZAM1. it is a frankenfork made with Z1 lowers and AM1 internals. the 06 Z1 light is as close as you are going to come from marzocchi. it has tas and eta. as far ar the tst goes, it has more adjustment for slow speed compression, it just doesn't use the terms like DS and AM.
I know Marz. doesn't make a ZAM1. My plan was to make my own frankenfork to get the ETA and TAS feature.

The Marz site is a bit confusing if the Z1 Light comes with TAS. The Z1 series overview pages says it does when scroll over the Z1 Light. The only mention of TAS is at the bottom. I must have missed it. The manual you can download doesn't mention TAS for the Z1 Light either. I will just call Marz on Tuesday and ask.

All things being equal is there an advantage to a ZAM1 over the Z1 Light?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts