Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need suggestions on which brake to run. Being in Colorado there are the long climbs and long descents (plus this year I want to due some more lift assisted stuff, nothing gonzo though). A couple months ago I got a pair of Marta SL's. I got the 160 on the back but am wondering what to put on the front. Options I'm thinking of:

1) keeping the SL 160 on the front - am thinking this will definitely get too hot on the long descents

2) get a 180 adapter and SL 180 rotor - can I get by with this without getting too hot?

3) get a new Louise BAT with a SL 203 or 180 rotor

Which one?
 

·
"El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,889 Posts
Chris9702l said:
Need suggestions on which brake to run. Being in Colorado there are the long climbs and long descents (plus this year I want to due some more lift assisted stuff, nothing gonzo though). A couple months ago I got a pair of Marta SL's. I got the 160 on the back but am wondering what to put on the front. Options I'm thinking of:

1) keeping the SL 160 on the front - am thinking this will definitely get too hot on the long descents

2) get a 180 adapter and SL 180 rotor - can I get by with this without getting too hot?

3) get a new Louise BAT with a SL 203 or 180 rotor

Which one?
How much you weigh?

But I'd say Marta 180 flava... It's very, very close in performance to the Louise.
 

·
Fragile - must be Italian
Joined
·
2,308 Posts
Chris9702l said:
Need suggestions on which brake to run. Being in Colorado there are the long climbs and long descents (plus this year I want to due some more lift assisted stuff, nothing gonzo though). A couple months ago I got a pair of Marta SL's. I got the 160 on the back but am wondering what to put on the front. Options I'm thinking of:

1) keeping the SL 160 on the front - am thinking this will definitely get too hot on the long descents

2) get a 180 adapter and SL 180 rotor - can I get by with this without getting too hot?

3) get a new Louise BAT with a SL 203 or 180 rotor

Which one?
Marta SL 160 on the front should be fine unles you are a heavy guy or want to do some serious DH stuff. I have Marta 160's on my NRS and they have never had issues on long descents in Colorado or Arizona. I weigh 155...

Thx...Doug
 

·
Do It Yourself
Joined
·
5,720 Posts
Louise FR. Check fleaBay for the perfectly good 2004+ models at really good prices or if you really care about the extra adjustments try the BAT. By the time you add adapters and larger rotor to Marta, you're looking at about the same weight as the Louise FR with no adapters (180/160). Or if you still want to weenie, get the long arm Marta caliper and try the 180 rotor for the front.
 

·
"El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,889 Posts
Homebrew said:
Louise FR. Check fleaBay for the perfectly good 2004+ models at really good prices or if you really care about the extra adjustments try the BAT. By the time you add adapters and larger rotor to Marta, you're looking at about the same weight as the Louise FR with no adapters (180/160). Or if you still want to weenie, get the long arm Marta caliper and try the 180 rotor for the front.
Yeah, the FR would be the logical choice, but I understand he already has the Marta up front... besides, the levers would be different if looks are an issue.
 

·
Do It Yourself
Joined
·
5,720 Posts
Warp said:
Yeah, the FR would be the logical choice, but I understand he already has the Marta up front... besides, the levers would be different if looks are an issue.
I'm sure he could sell the Marta set, buy a Louise FR set on eBay and have some cash left over.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But I want the bling.:cool: Either the bling of the Marta SL or the bling of the Louise BAT. Both look hawt, and light weight too! I emailed Magura too see which is lighter, the Marta SL with SL180/adapter or the Louise BAT with a SL180 rotor.

Chris
 

·
"El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,889 Posts
Chris9702l said:
I emailed Magura too see which is lighter, the Marta SL with SL180/adapter or the Louise BAT with a SL180 rotor.

Chris
Marta... hands down. No need for adapters to the frame on the rear. Lighter master cylinder and lighter rotor.

The new BAT's are around same weight as older Louises (they lost weight at the brake but gained mounting brackets)... Martas are lighter than the Louise were.

However, on very long descents, you may prefer the FR's as HB points out. Slightly more power, but more resistance to fade because the added mass and higher oil volume.

Do you have to buy one brake anyway?

Call Chad... You won't regret it. ;)
When I ordered my BAT's, he still could get older Louises for dirt cheap.

There's a set of FR's on ebay for around 220 bucks... I was about to pull the trigger on those too when I was shopping for brakes.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,683 Posts
I upgraded my Marta SL to a 180mm roto on the front. Had no problem getting busy on it in Moab. Worked a treat... I weigh around 195 with gear also......
 

·
Ti is addictive
Joined
·
2,894 Posts
Give Chad a call......He can probably get you just the 180 caliper and rotor for you Marta's......saves you from having to get a whole new brake set.......or adapters.......
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top