Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious to see what types of locks people are using to lock up their bikes when they are unattended. Personally, I don't leave my $1000+ bikes unattended, but for my sub $400 commuter, I recently purchased one of these chain locks:

BIKE GAURD Warden lock

It was only $30, but it seems pretty robust. I don't think I would be able to cut it with pocket sized tools, like some cable locks. It is also a little more convenient/versatile than a U-Lock.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The lock may or may not be hardened steel, but the weakest part would be whats holding the lock mechanism to the chain. Get yourself a Kryptonite u-lock instead. Though less versitile, they're lighter and stronger than chains.

·
I'm feeling dirty, you?
855 Posts
I mainly use my older version ABUS Sinus 46/150 HB 230 U-lock; and if I'm going to somewhere with unfamilar locking-up arrangements or leaving the bike unattended for more than 10 minutes I bring an older version of this OnGuard armoured cable lock.

I've chosen to stick in a one lock situation with the ABUS U-lock mainly because it's the most reliable lock I have. I like the armoured cable lock, but the keys supplied with the OnGuard lock is rather 'gummy' and I've worn out 2/5 keys they gave me. Plus the disc cylinder in my lock has trouble unlocking unless the lock is under tension.
But when I wear out 4/5 of my OnGuard keys, it'll become a back-up or another storage lock-down lock; then I definitely start looking for a much more reliable armoured cable lock to take over as my primary lock from the 'heavy' U-lock, maybe from ABUS, Kryptonite or others.

I do have at home to lock up the bikes for storage an ABUS Diskus 20/70 padlock and 8mm-110mm square chain combo. The biggest problem is that it is my fault for losing 2/3 of the keys supplied and really need to find time to get to my local ABUS locksmith to get new keys cut for me.:sad:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I use a kryptonite D lock. I like it because it is very quick to lock up. But I think I need to step up my security. I think if you use 2 lock they should be completely different designs. like a D-lock and Chain/braided cable lock

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
newaccount said:
the weakest part would be whats holding the lock mechanism to the chain
Though I don't think I will buy another lock (I already have a CCM U-lock) I believe the statement I quoted is correct.

dobby156 said:
I think if you use 2 lock they should be completely different designs. like a D-lock and Chain/braided cable lock
Probably not a bad idea, as that may force the thief to employ two different methods or sets of tools to get your bike.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Working at a bike shop, I've had the opportunity to cut several locks off of bikes (people lose keys), and I have yet to have any trouble with our gigantic bolt cutters. :)

The most popular locks are pretty lightweight/cheap cable or chain locks. Having something that I deem to be a step above the norm gives me a little piece of mind, even though I know my lock is far from immune to theft.

·
LCI #1853
328 Posts
Kryptonite New York 3000 u-lock, or one of the Fuhgeddaboudit chains. Short in and out trips where the bike isn't out of sight, I use a key-locked cable.

·
2,548 Posts
I use the replacement lock Kryptonite sent me when they had their exchange program goingon a few years back (if you had a registered lock of the old key design, they exchanged it for a new keyed design - excellent public relations/customer service, if ya ask me .... the lock they sent is better than the old lock (a lil bigger/beefier, as well as more secure - can't open it with a Bic pen...heh) This, I always use ..... if I'm locking in an area I feel needs more security, I use a cable lock as well (and when I'm feeling paranoid, I lock the padlock through the front rings, have the bike in big ring/small cog to thwart fast getaways, and I undo the brake cable noodle *yeah, still have v-brakes), just in case bike gets cable/lock and u-lock undone and they pedal off in high gear - surprise surprise if they try to stop. YEAH, I'm a bit paranoid, at times ...... especially since I've never had a bike stolen from me ..... yet...LOL

·
Registered
220 Posts
Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit U-lock :thumbsup:

Remove front wheel, lock through frame and both wheels. If I'm feeling paranoid I'll add my backup lock, but honestly, I've locked both my commuter (Kona Smoke) and my nice cyclocross bike (Jake the Snake) all over Toronto with this lock with no problems at all. The Titus Motolite does not get left anywhere, ever, unless it is locked INSIDE my car.

·
I Rode a Metric Century!
133 Posts
I ride to work, but we actually have bike lockers. and the security manager has an office window right by them. So I am very secure. I have also brought my bike into my office when I forgot the locker Key.

·
No-Brakes Cougar
1,143 Posts
I just have a MasterLock cable lock. I rarely have to leave my bike outside, and when I do it often is for no more than a few minutes.

·
Registered
102 Posts
U-lock works fine for me. I've had a Kryptonite Evolution LS since '97. Swapped it out with the newer (non-cylindrical) key as part of the Kryptonite settlement. I just make sure to remove front wheel and lock with frame and rear wheel. Knock on wood, I haven't lost a bike yet parking in SF, Oakland and Berkeley.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts