Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about a new frame to my bike. Now I hesitate between Kona Hoss Dee-Lux '05 frame and Caldera '05 frame. TOday I went to local Kona's dealer and I thought I would help me to make the decision... I was wrong. I rode 16" and 17" calderas, 18" Hoss (they didn't have 16") - and I still don't know which one to choose.

I'm 5'8" tall and weigh 152lbs. My riding style is something between XC and enduro (but on hardtail) - I like the most technical single tracks.
Important thing is that I would like to have possibly erect position on a bike - now I have a 17" XC racing frame and after few kilometres I feel pain in my back and hands.
Caldera 16" was a bit too small. On 17" was quite good, but I don't know what my back would say after 1h of riding on this.
Hoss 18" was too big. But this frame is quite short so I think that on 16" I could get what I want - but I'm afraid the 16" could be too short, I hope the dealer will quickly have it and I will be able to try it.

Which frame would you choose for me?

Do you have any photos of 16" Hoss or 17" Caldera? I 'm curious how they look like.

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
it's a tough one....

the key to this it top tube (the cockpit) size. Kona doesn't publish it on their site.

What you have to do is to keep trying bikes (make doesn't matter) until you find the perfect fit. If it's a Kona, then you're all set, if not, get the Top Tube measurement and find the right Kona frame size, likely (but not surely) the 17" frame.

Fit is key, so keep at it. To get more upright, you can add spacers to the headset/steerer tube, &/or a higher riser bar.

Personally, I'd stay away from any 29" bike, they haven't sold well, so there's a reason why they haven't sold. If you're in Poland, you might not be able to get one anyway.

Hope that helps, Jim

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I want to change only a frame, not whole bike - so I won'y buy a 29" wheel bike.
Soon I'll be able to check Hoss 16". I hope this will help me to make the decision.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
geometry specs on kona site

JimC. said:
the key to this it top tube (the cockpit) size. Kona doesn't publish it on their site.

What you have to do is to keep trying bikes (make doesn't matter) until you find the perfect fit. If it's a Kona, then you're all set, if not, get the Top Tube measurement and find the right Kona frame size, likely (but not surely) the 17" frame.

Fit is key, so keep at it. To get more upright, you can add spacers to the headset/steerer tube, &/or a higher riser bar.

Personally, I'd stay away from any 29" bike, they haven't sold well, so there's a reason why they haven't sold. If you're in Poland, you might not be able to get one anyway.

Hope that helps, Jim
look here for the geometry specifications on the kona site (you get there from tech and then downloads)

https://konaworld.com/2k5_catalog/images/1600/2K5_Catalog_FINAL_p56-57.jpg

1" of frame size increment is roughly equivalen to 0.5" top tube increment

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.