Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know neither is top of the line, but I'm not looking to drop a ton of money at a bike either since I'll probably only be able to get out to the trails 1-3x / month. The majority of riding I'll be doing on this bike is towing my kid around in the trailer. So, having said that, I'm torn b/c I'd like to get the C'dale F4, I just think it is more than I need right now and I'd love to save any money I can. So, there is the C'dale F5: http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/07/cusa/mountain/hardtail/model-7FS5.html

vs.

The Specialized Rockhopper Disc: http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=22178

The Rockhopper has the better fork (especially since I'll want the lockout on the streets towing the kid) and better brakes... but the F5 has the better drive train (I think) and the shop I'd prefer to buy from. Not that the shop that has the Rockhopper is bad, I bought my road bike from them, it is just that they are so far away, it is hard for me to get out to them for the random fix or accessory so then I feel guilty taking a bike I bought from someone else to the shop down the street (the one that has the F5).

For the F5... would it even be worth it to see if I could upgrade from a Dart 2 to a Dart 3? Or from the Promax disc brakes to Avid BB5's or something? Or at that point, I might as well and go ahead and drop the extra $300 for the F4?

Clear as mud right?

Any and all thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Wow, Id have to say that F5 component spec is quite disappointing.
The Promax discs are reviewed to be worse than a decent set of V brakes
( they do come on department store bikes after all ).

It has joytech hubs, department store once again.

The Rockhopper is plain better in everything besides the deraillers, but the difference is negligible. Deraillers are easy and cheap to upgrade anyways, and they are disposable with heavy riding.

I would get the rockhopper.

Does your LBS carry Trek, such as the 4300?

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Rockhopper

Of the two, I'd go with the Rockhopper. Rather than messing with upgrades to a brand new bike, buy one that has a parts spec suitable to your needs.

Bob

·
Registered
93 Posts
Of those 2, the Rockhopper, and I'm a Cannondale fan. But check at several of your local bike stores for closeouts and last year's models. You might have more options than you think. I think Trek and Gary Fisher bikes have better components at that price range?

Also, you have probably already considered this, but at that price range you might be better off just sticking with v-brakes, they're still very good and you might get better other components for the price on a bike that's not concerned with disc. The only time I can't completely lock up my wheels with v-brakes is lots of riding through sandy mud and puddles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.