Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all of you wonderful, knowledgable mtn bikers!

I'm trying to sort through some local used bike offers and I'd really love to get an idea of which bike is the best deal for what I'm looking for. I'd like a bike I can do some short (50 mile or so) fundraising rides on and also be able to do some trail riding. Not serious mountain terrain, but bumpy and sandy enough...

I've narrowed down my search to these bikes. I've already confirmed that they are the correct size for me. I'll put up the link just in case I get lucky and someone happens to really want to help me out! ;)

Gary Fisher 2003 Wahoo $125
Gary Fisher Wahoo Mountain Bike - barely used

Trek singletrack 930 $250 (pretty sure it's late 90s bc it has rock shox)
Trek Single Track RockShox mountain bike

Specialized hardrock $200 (not sure of date)
Alloy frame Mountain Bike 24 spd - Excellent Condition

Fuji Nevada $250
Fuji Nevada 1.0 Mountain Bike

Diamondback Lustre 2 $250 2013
17" Diamondback Lustre 2 woman's mountain bike barely used

Any insight into the value of these bikes or which would be the best deal would be HUGELY appreciated!!

Thanks a lot!

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,767 Posts
I'd vote Trek.
It's got a nice steel frame and the best quality level of components of all those listed.
The price is high. I'd go $200 tops. Its a ~1995 model.
The fork is garbage and will need to be replaced and a non suspended fork would be best.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
The specialized frame looks really small.. The db is a girls bike.. I would go for the one that has the newest components in the best condition that fits you well, especially if you're looking at 50 mile rides. My gf has the db, and it's pretty much junk. She rode it once and the crank is bent, the fork is a pogostick at best.

I'd go with the gf if the condition is legit.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, the Specialized is a women's bike, too, and I'm a lady, so I'm fine w a men's or a women's.
She said it was a 17", but the pics do look like it's smaller.

Why would I want a non suspended fork?

So I'll nix the DB. Still consider the Trek for less $. What do you think about hte GF?

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,767 Posts
Why would I want a non suspended fork?
Why would you want a suspension fork?

If you're going on charity rides a suspension fork is just extra weight and front end wobble. Suspension is also not necessary to do any real mountain biking.

None of the bikes pictures is going to have a 'working' suspension fork. A new fork will set you back more than the cost of the bike in this price range. A decent rigid fork can be had for under $50.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.