Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Meh
Joined
·
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at either an XT cassette or SRAM 9.0/990. The rest of my drivetrain is all SRAM, a pc-99 chain, stylo team cranks, x.9 shifters & x.o rear derailleur. Oh yeah XT front der.

I want to eliminate chain skipping once & for all..the price difference doesn't really matter, just performance.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
chain skipping?? tune your rear deraulluer properly.

special k said:
Looking at either an XT cassette or SRAM 9.0/990. The rest of my drivetrain is all SRAM, a pc-99 chain, stylo team cranks, x.9 shifters & x.o rear derailleur. Oh yeah XT front der.

I want to eliminate chain skipping once & for all..the price difference doesn't really matter, just performance.

Thanks
 

·
Meh
Joined
·
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the chain is new, in fact all the drivetrain except the front der. is new. Basically I am going to replace my cassette and narrowed it down to these 2. I've read reviews that the XT is smoother and has more durable cogs and that the SRAM's cogs get bent easily so I was just soliciting opinions on the cassettes only.
 

·
Meh
Joined
·
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Strafer said:
Same set up as me, all X9 and XT front except I run 990 casettes.
Is it skipping in all the cogs, or just some?

Gotta go, ATHF on in a minute!
mainly skips in the larger cogs under torque...I've just upgraded the rest of my drivetrain and am going to replace my old cassette, SRAM 950. How do you like the 990? How durable has it been?

ATHF rules! Carl is the shiznit. :cool:
 

·
Ariolimax columbianus
Joined
·
1,641 Posts
New MB Action

special k said:
the chain is new, in fact all the drivetrain except the front der. is new. Basically I am going to replace my cassette and narrowed it down to these 2. I've read reviews that the XT is smoother and has more durable cogs and that the SRAM's cogs get bent easily so I was just soliciting opinions on the cassettes only.
The new MB Action mag does a shootout with sram vs. shimano rear derailleur. The casssette they use is an XTR though. Basically the Shimano cassettes are better but cost a lot more. I have a Shimano XT 11-32 on another bike and you can just see the quality of the metal used is a lot better than the SRAM. I guess it depends how much you ride. I just built up my new Heckler with an X9 RD, X9 shifters, PC-69 chain, & PG?-990 11-34 cassette with an XT FD and 05' LX crank and haven't had any problems with the drivetrain as long as I keep it clean (haven't been riding it that long). I just wanted to see how well the SRAM stuff performs (it's last years stuff from PricePoint) after riding Shimano since I was a kid. After 500+ miles in the past few months on the SRAM stuff I have only adjusted the RD a few times, it's like that RONCO infomercial "set it and forget it." Shimano stuff is a little fussy, even though I still have a 15 year old 7 spd LX RD on my Rock Lobster fully rigid that works pretty good with those old LX shifters with the integrated brake handles. The SRAM X9 RD looks pretty trick and IMO outperforms an XT RD. But in the end if I had more $ I'd probably run my SRAM stuff with the Shimano cassette just for longevity issues (performance wise I'll tell you if the SRAM cassette breaks down, but for now it works excellent). Sorry but I like to talk.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,131 Posts
No question, get the M760 cassette. The sram 990 is trash comparitively. The 990 shifts good enough, but it doesn't last long enough. I actually wore out the 990 in a few months without my chain even stretching! The 990 is cheap, but it's cheaper for a reason. It's nowhere near as durable and long lasting as the shimano equivalent. You get what you pay for here.

The 990 is also around 40g heavier than the XT. SRAM has not figured out how to build a light OR durable cassette. Shimano has em beat on both accounts. You'll kick yourself in the head for not spending $30 more when your 990 craps out after a few months.


Yes, the chain is probably worn if the cassette is skipping, but due to the problem I experienced with the 990, it may not necessarily be so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
I had 5000 miles on my chain and cassette with no skipping. What are you
guys doing to your gear?

I replaced both this past winter with a Shimano cassette and new shimano hg chain.

Are the teeth on the cassette all pointy?

Jm. said:
No question, get the M760 cassette. The sram 990 is trash comparitively. The 990 shifts good enough, but it doesn't last long enough. I actually wore out the 990 in a few months without my chain even stretching! The 990 is cheap, but it's cheaper for a reason. It's nowhere near as durable and long lasting as the shimano equivalent. You get what you pay for here.

The 990 is also around 40g heavier than the XT. SRAM has not figured out how to build a light OR durable cassette. Shimano has em beat on both accounts. You'll kick yourself in the head for not spending $30 more when your 990 craps out after a few months.

Yes, the chain is probably worn if the cassette is skipping, but due to the problem I experienced with the 990, it may not necessarily be so.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,131 Posts
bas said:
I had 5000 miles on my chain and cassette with no skipping.
That's too long to go before replacing your chain. Either you ride real easy on it, or it's just a fluke, but this is from someone that works in the industry and deals with stretched chains and gears quite often; you need to replace your chain a lot more frequently than 5000 miles, you'll save money on the other parts that are kept from wearing out by doing this.
 

·
Time is not a road.
Joined
·
4,150 Posts
I've got hundreds of miles on my PC990 cassette w/SRAM chain and X9 RD. No problems.

I've got a two year old XT rear cassette that's still in pretty good shape. Either way, for me, they've both functioned well enough. I like the 11-34 SRAM. Some have a preference for the different ratios between the two types. I don't have the money to try them all, so I just ride what I got. I find that with the SRAM, I will run more in the 2nd largest cog as opposed to the "granny" gear. It's a good enough ratio to get me around the mnts here. With the 11-32 XT I had, granny was the order of the day because the next step down was too hard.

These issues came up on another thread not too long ago.
 

·
Live 2 Ride
Joined
·
6,189 Posts
Jm. said:
the width of a chain has NOTHING to do with skipping
I disagree. When I was using a 8-speed chain on my 9-speed setup it skipped all the time. I recently replaced the 8-speed with a 9-speed chain. Because the 9-speed chain is a few mm more narrow than a 8-speed chain the skipping stopped.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
special k said:
the chain is new, in fact all the drivetrain except the front der. is new. Basically I am going to replace my cassette and narrowed it down to these 2. I've read reviews that the XT is smoother and has more durable cogs and that the SRAM's cogs get bent easily so I was just soliciting opinions on the cassettes only.
I have also read that Shimano is smoother (in general) than SRAM, but that SRAM is more resistant and durable than Shimano.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,131 Posts
Kona0197 said:
I disagree. When I was using a 8-speed chain on my 9-speed setup it skipped all the time. I recently replaced the 8-speed with a 9-speed chain. Because the 9-speed chain is a few mm more narrow than a 8-speed chain the skipping stopped.
I was referring to when you are using the proper chain for your drivetrain, IE, 8 spd for 8spd, 9spd for 9spd, etc...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind is unless Sram changed for 2005 the 11-34 cassettes have a 6 tooth jump 28T to 34T for the last cog. I haven't rode one but to me it would seem like that's too much of a jump in the back for reliable shifting, esp. under the conditons that usually require that cog. I suppose the theory is that it's rare you have to use that big of a rear cog, so it gives a better distribution on the other 8 gears. My other guess is they save $ because it's identical to their 11-32 cassette except they slap on a 34T instead.

If I run a 11-32 I'll run either one but for my bikes that I want a 34T rear cog it's xt all the way. Since the sram 990 is pretty much half the cost of the xt, less durability isn't a huge deal.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top