Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm choosing between the 3 Fox rear shocks to use with my 2005 SPOT. It is also fitted with a PUSH Rocker like my other Spot.

What will be your suggestion for the rear shock? Need to choose & keep one.
1. 2009 Low Volume RP23
2. 2008 Hi-Volume RP23
3. DHX Air 5.0 with a Low Volume Canister

I weigh 245 lbs. with Gear and ride Single Track, Fire Roads, Some small drops from time to time. I run a PIKE with this bike.

Currently installed on my bike is the 2008 Hi-Volume rp23 and i run it with 230PSI.

Also, is there a difference on the rear shock selection on the type of rear triangle used?
I have both HL & TNT. Just want know more . . . :)

Thanks!!!

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Low volume RP23 at your weight. While it's not totally the same thing, I'm like 40 pounds less and I have tried the HV Rp23 on my RFX and it just blows through travel. With less leverage, it could make it usable with that shock, but I'm somewhat doubtful. I guess others would have a better guess. When I pumped it up higher, it was harsh and oddly, would still blow through midrange and then not get full travel. It's good on my gf's rfx, as she's like 120 pounds, so she can nearly get full travel.

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
I'll second the Low Volume RP23. I weigh 210 and went from the HV can to LV can - best choice for my weight.

Have it PUSH'ed and call it good!

·
Moosehead
1,908 Posts
i'm also a clyde with regular pushed rp23's on a HL and a TNT, both great for moderately aggressive AM, no hucking. most clydes seem to be on a LV can. the PP also works well for climbing IMO, though others don't like using it. if you can't spring for the Push yet, ride the hell out of your shock and send it in end of next season.

·
Registered
9,471 Posts
SCUBAPRO said:
+1 for the LV RP23
I recently picked up a PUSH'd RP23 with the LV can, for my RFX.
Perhaps the seller is reading this?
It was pushed for the RFX, same year as mine, and the seller was the same weight.

Coming off my avalanche chubie, I didn't expect much from an air shock, just wanted a lighter option for longer days with bigger climbs.

I have to say though, I'm very impressed. :thumbsup:

My typical complaint with Fox air shocks has usually been the rebound, which seems to feel too fast on big hits yet too slow everywhere else, even at the fastest settings. I haven't had that complaint with this shock. Not sure if it's the PUSH or LV canister, but this shock feels really good so far. With the current conditions (of both local trails and my recovering foot) I'm not able to push it hard enough to say the Avy outperforms it by much.

It's possible that my review may change when the bigger hits & faster trails are back in the picture. ;)
The avy is pretty amazing. But for only weighing 1/2lb the LV-RP23 is really impressive.

·
Ridin' in iRie meditation
312 Posts
One more vote for Push'ed LV RP23. I run ~220 w/ gear.

FYI, Push really knows their stuff. I went from 5.3 rockers to 5.5s on my '05 Spot and they convinced me that they needed to re-service my RP23 to account for the new rockers. I was skeptical, but took the plunge. Glad I did - made a great shock even better!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Low Volume for Heavy Weights

I guess the direction for a Heavy Weight Rider like me is to go and use the 2009 Low Volume RP23. I hope I can feel the difference even it will not be PUSHed. . . only used with a PUSH Rockers.
I know PUSH can make wonders on a Good Rear Shocks, but it is not really possible here in our country.

Any other Homers here using the Low Volume RP23 (Un-PUSHed) on their SPOT? :D

Thanks!!!

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
TNT-Spot said:
I guess the direction for a Heavy Weight Rider like me is to go and use the 2009 Low Volume RP23. I hope I can feel the difference even it will not be PUSHed. . . only used with a PUSH Rockers.
I know PUSH can make wonders on a Good Rear Shocks, but it is not really possible here in our country.

Any other Homers here using the Low Volume RP23 (Un-PUSHed) on their SPOT? :D

Thanks!!!
I used a LV air can with PUSH rockers on my Sultan - worked well - better than the HV can for my weight.

You probably have my old PUSH rockers - I think they headed out your way.....

·
Registered
382 Posts
S-Works said:
This is an excellent suggestion. You can buy a new one and have it Pushed for less money than a stock DHX C. Otherwise, a Pushed low volume RP23 is your shock.
Fox are back ordered on the Vanilla R.Those Bastard's.I should have bought a Avalanche.I wish My Push Rockers would have fit a Avalanche shock.:madman: Should I just take the Rockers off and get the Avalanche?

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Hmmm let me think this out aloud. The Avy's my personal favorite but you're looking at a some changes to get there.

First you'd be ditching the excellent Push rockers, and using what in their place? If it is the 5.5s great, if it's the 5.1s also great as Avalanche will tune the shock specifically for the 5.1s and it would not be hampered by the 5.1s leverage curve like an RP3/RP23 would. (5.1s great with coils, only so-so with air) But, considering you'd be coming off the Push rockers, I'd rather go to the 5.5s if the option is available.

So you have the cost of the Avy plus the cost of the replacement rockers, which might be offset by the sale of the Push rockers.

That would be the cost of the Avy vs. the cost of a new Van-R + Pushing it. What's the price dif? blind guesstamate ~$75 bucks more? (after all the shipping about etc) Idunno what Vans go for.

Plus the new rockers vs. the Push rockers. Depends if you already have something and/or what you can get for the Push rockers. Diff Guess: either even money or save $75-100 bucks if you have rockers and sell your Push set.

So it could work out to about the same money but you might have to hunt around for alternative rockers. I'd guess it'd be easier to sell off the Push rockers than it would be to find some 5.5s as demand is high for both.

The good news is Avalanche is quick in getting product out the door, so you'd probably have a much shorter wait time going this route.
(The ones I've ordered shipped within 2-days)

Thoughts? Corrections? Anyone?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Bikezilla said:
Hmmm let me think this out aloud. The Avy's my personal favorite but you're looking at a some changes to get there.

First you'd be ditching the excellent Push rockers, and using what in their place? If it is the 5.5s great, if it's the 5.1s also great as Avalanche will tune the shock specifically for the 5.1s and it would not be hampered by the 5.1s leverage curve like an RP3/RP23 would. (5.1s great with coils, only so-so with air) But, considering you'd be coming off the Push rockers, I'd rather go to the 5.5s if the option is available.

So you have the cost of the Avy plus the cost of the replacement rockers, which might be offset by the sale of the Push rockers.

That would be the cost of the Avy vs. the cost of a new Van-R + Pushing it. What's the price dif? blind guesstamate ~$75 bucks more? (after all the shipping about etc) Idunno what Vans go for.I have the

Plus the new rockers vs. the Push rockers. Depends if you already have something and/or what you can get for the Push rockers. Diff Guess: either even money or save $75-100 bucks if you have rockers and sell your Push set.

So it could work out to about the same money but you might have to hunt around for alternative rockers. I'd guess it'd be easier to sell off the Push rockers than it would be to find some 5.5s as demand is high for both.

The good news is Avalanche is quick in getting product out the door, so you'd probably have a much shorter wait time going this route.
(The ones I've ordered shipped within 2-days)

Thoughts? Corrections? Anyone?
My bike is a 06 tnt Spot.I still have the 5.3 rockers that came with the bike.I was wondering is it worth the cost to go back to the 5,3 inch rockers while running a Avalanche shock?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.