Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had enough of lethermans, swiss armys and others. It is time to get a pro grade cable cutter. Parks? Pedros? Which is good at a reasonable price / where?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Dremel Tool ....?

If you already have one they do a great job cutting cable. Also good for lots of other jobs. Cable cutters are only good for cutting cable and housing.

To cut cable easier, without any unravelling, apply solder at the cut mark.

FD

·
Registered
196 Posts
i second the dremel. i just installed a set of avid mechs with full metal jacket cables and my dremel did a great job cutting the cables and housing.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
the best? why? do you cut cables for a living?

no clue which is the best? but I do know that compared to what you're now using to cut cables, you would be extremely satisfied with a park, or a pedro's or a shitmano, all of which are designed specifically for that task.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for rephrasing my post.

i don't think you quite got my point. Having come to the decision, that YES, I will probably be extremely happy with a purpose made cable cutter, perhaps there would be subtle differences between the various models from park, pedro's and shimano, that would be nice to know about before I purchase.

·
Just passing through....
1,331 Posts
I use a Dremel normally, but for those nights that I sneak down to the garage to work on the bikes after da wife is asleep, I needed a cable cutter. I just bought a cheap Lifu (under $15) and it works great, cuz I don't really cut cable that often and when I do its usually with the Dremel. If I was doing it for a living, I'd get the Park.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have a Nashbar cable cutter. It works fine as long as the bolt holding the two halves of the tool is tight. Otherwise you get fraying. When I say tight I mean tight enough that the spring won't push it open. The tool doesn't work so well in the crimping and housing cutting department. I also use a dremel and prefer using it for all cutting.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Shimano

Econoline said:
The best cable cutter I've found is the Shimano. It's expensive but well worth it, and also cuts housing.

http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=TL6025

I second the Shimano one. Don't even think of using anything else. I've been working in shops for more than 7 years and this is the only one I've seen true mechanics use. Anyone who is worth their salt as a mechanic works with the Shimano cable cutter. I have 2!!!!

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
The Shimano one is probably the best "easily available" cutter, but the Eldi cable cutter is by far better than any others. It's just really hard to find.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts

·
Shamisen Appreciator
2,029 Posts
ssmike said:
Sorry, it's not an Eldi cutter. The absolute best is made by Felco, the F-C7. http://www.felcostore.com/order1.jsp?code=F-C7&referer=othertools.jsp and it's on sale here for $40.59. At that price it kicks the crap outta any others.
Yep, the Felco beats the pants off of any cable cutter ever. I've been a mechanic for 10 years. I've had my Felco for 9 and it still works better than just about any cutter you'll find on most shop benches.

The weakness of the Shimano cutter is apparent when you cut too many cables (go figure). The blades bend eventually. They also don't cut brake housing very cleanly.

I've never had to sharpen my Felco's and I've used them for cables & housing (of course) but also...

cut through a chainlink fence because a rabbit was stuck
cut through the 1/2" spare tire cable lock on my truck when the lock mech rusted (that one took a few clips)
cut spokes out of old wheels in need of rebuilding
with a few squeezes, it even has gone through 5.5 spectra line

They're expensive, but it's my second favorite tool ever, the CK hub service tool being my favorite.

Sean

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
smudge said:
Yep, the Felco beats the pants off of any cable cutter ever. I've been a mechanic for 10 years. I've had my Felco for 9 and it still works better than just about any cutter you'll find on most shop benches.
The only problem with the Felco is that it isn't a bike specific tool. Meaning that there is no crimper for the cable ends. He would still have to have a second tool to do that. While this may in fact be the best tool for cutting, a home mechanic would do best with a park, pedros, shimano type tool which has this feature.

Chris

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
ctxcrossx said:
The only problem with the Felco is that it isn't a bike specific tool. Meaning that there is no crimper for the cable ends. He would still have to have a second tool to do that. While this may in fact be the best tool for cutting, a home mechanic would do best with a park, pedros, shimano type tool which has this feature.

Chris
While it may be true that the Felco does not have this feature, Shimano's cutter is not ideal for crimping cable ends. For this job a set of diagonal cutters is the best. The Shimano tool crimps the cable by more or less mashing it because the force is not in-line but off-set. Two quick squeezes with a diagonal cutter crimps the cable end the best. That or soldering the end, but who has time for soldering?

For a tool lover, just the feel of the Felco is enough to justify it. :)

But, in the end, I have the Shimano tool at home and the Felco at work. They both are great tools. But I still use diagonal cutters to crimp the cable end at home too. :D

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,324 Posts
Felco vs Pedros?

Aren't the Pedros cutters just a rebranded Felco? Cheeper too?

BTW, Felco fan here. Used to have Shitmano, but the Felco cutters beat the pants off them (it?).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
FishMan473 said:
Aren't the Pedros cutters just a rebranded Felco? Cheeper too?
Thanks to everyone for all input! I compared the image of the Pedro's Cable Cutter with the Felco C7 below, and to me they look identical. The Pedro's is on sale at Supergo so I will probably order one with some other stuff I am ordering any way. My Leatherman's is otherwise excellent for crimping!

·
Registered
294 Posts
ctxcrossx said:

Chris
you have got to be kidding me...

who cares about crimping power? LOL!

The Felco is the bomb. It cuts, perfect, every time. save crimping duties for an inferior tool, like some needle nose pliers or something like that.

·
Old man on a bike
12,383 Posts
I've got an older Shimano cutter

that works well, also a cheap Park and a really old Sun Tour model. I usually use the Shimano for housing and the Sun Tour for crimping and cable cutting. The Park's in the tool chest in the car. After what that guy said about the Felco being his favorite after his CK hub tool, I might just have to get me one of them (and it sure does look like the Pedro's)

·
Riding free's the mind
1,012 Posts
Felco

For years now I've always recommended the Felco cable cutter as the best. However for cable housings, I like the Dremel for a cleaner un-crushed cut. For the inner steel braided cables the Felco is the best, and actually works great for cutting hydraulic brake lines believe it or not.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I wish I could tell you about other cable cutters, but since I started working at a bike shop (about three years ago), we have never had to replace our trusty Park Tool. I'm sure any of the top brands would be great, but I can't say anything bad about Park Tool's product.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts