Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
The Wire Nano's I have may be a slight bit faster, but with my riding style lose time in corners.

Today was another test day for the chopped XR's (over 50g taken off each tire, see seperate thread)

On a sandy nature reserve, the lap is 25km long, and they seemed to always put the trail on the lowest part of the forrest, so it was littered with pool, unless you rode up a sand dunes, there it was just perfect.
With the tiny knobs, I cut through mud like a heeted knfe through butter. No sideways grip to mention, but I could correct for that, most of the times. The sideknobs which are still pretty much intact, -1mm, saved my butt I guess.

On steep sandy climbs, traction was lower than anything else except maybe pure slicks, but the rolling speeds made up for that. Crossing sand pits (semi-desert really), these babies are better than Nano's. I was even able to make a mre than half turn in the deep stuff, quite impressive. Riding sand is too easy, I made my buddy on Racing Ralphs look clumsy, and he's quite a technical rider.

Tire marks were very clear to recognise today, and when I saw mine, it was cool to see how much shallower the imprints were over all the other tires, Pythons, Z-Max's, Racng Ralphs, and even Fast Freds.

If on some rides you use only half the traction and grip the XR's have to offer, just take off half the knobs, and get the full speed. In dry corners you need to pay attention, but no-one will think you're like riding on ice, they're just race tires the way I "feel" it.
I like the XR's volume, so much friendlier than Nano's.

Long story, but note this: get the new Kevlar Nano's, they're better than the wire ones, and hard to beat. will also corner better than the wire ones, thanks to softer rubber. weight will be similar to the XR's, a tiny bit less, but the volume will be noticable less also.

·
i like to bicycle
335 Posts
nanos = faster

the nanos are faster. i've got folder nanos and XRs. the XRs have a bit wider track but i'm hesitant to say they have more volume since the nanos are pretty tall...

·
i like to bicycle
335 Posts
local shop

Spookykinkajou said:
Where do you get the folding nanos?
at a local shop here in lincoln, ne. had them for over a year. word on the street is that they are gone for a while. the other word on the street is they will be available again sometime in the early summer. like soon. i'd check with your local store. and try the XRs when you get a chance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.