1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
karma DTC 2.0
Python air light 2.0
spider air light 2.1

I live in southeast arizona and I ride rocky, loose and some hard pack terrain. I'm looking for a tire that has a strong sidewall to use as a rear tire. It seem that all my flats are sidewall cuts on the rear. The spider a bit heavier(580 grams) so i am going to assume that it is a stronger tire. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
placilla said:
karma DTC 2.0
Python air light 2.0
spider air light 2.1

I live in southeast arizona and I ride rocky, loose and some hard pack terrain. I'm looking for a tire that has a strong sidewall to use as a rear tire. It seem that all my flats are sidewall cuts on the rear. The spider a bit heavier(580 grams) so i am going to assume that it is a stronger tire. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
If sidewall strength is your main concern, none of them. All three are lightweight tires with thin casings (the Spider has more tread rubber). I have heard reports of all suffering sidewall cuts in rocks.

The Schwalbe Little Albert/Albert 2.1/2.25 Snakeskin have a tougher sidewall or look at any of the Conti ProTection models.

G

·
if you are riding agressively and are relatively heavy, you can't expect those light tires to hold up to sharp rocks.

the wife likes her Kharmas but she weighs less than 140 with gear and doesn't ride very agressively.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Another thing that helps prevent sidewall cuts is to use a tire that has a relatively narrow casing compared to the tread. A Panaracer Smoke 2.1 comes to mind, so does a Fire XC Pro. Tires with a casing that sticks out farther than the tread like a Python are more likely to get cut.

·
Registered
11,764 Posts
Imo

placilla said:
karma DTC 2.0
Python air light 2.0
spider air light 2.1

Thanks
i dont see any of those working well in rocky, loose conditions specially the python & kharma. The xc pro is a good light tire that can handle rock abuse pretty well but they dont have as much volume as the tires youve listed....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shiggy which Conti model would be a good rear tire?

I was looking at the Explorer.

Thanks

shiggy said:
If sidewall strength is your main concern, none of them. All three are lightweight tires with thin casings (the Spider has more tread rubber). I have heard reports of all suffering sidewall cuts in rocks.

The Schwalbe Little Albert/Albert 2.1/2.25 Snakeskin have a tougher sidewall or look at any of the Conti ProTection models.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.