Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
I like air!
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I asked this already about which was a better downhill bike, an Iron Horse SGS DH Team or a Big Hit. Now that they built the Dominion at mountain creek I think I would still like a fast downhill bike but one that I could hit the table tops best with. For those of you who don't know what the Dominion is, here's some photos - Pictures of Dominion

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
milhouse said:
I would still like a fast downhill bike but one that I could hit the table tops best with.
Get the Iron Horse. 26 inch wheels rolls faster and farther than 24's. If speed is your thing stick to 26. Big Hit's have a tendancy to jump kinda weird (dead sailor) due to the difference in tire size front and rear, something to do with the balance of the bike.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
red5 said:
Get the Iron Horse. 26 inch wheels rolls faster and farther than 24's. If speed is your thing stick to 26. Big Hit's have a tendancy to jump kinda weird (dead sailor) due to the difference in tire size front and rear, something to do with the balance of the bike.
your right, but not fully....it has to do with the differant size wheels creating less/more centrifical force then the other---not thier wieght....that unbalences the bike while in the air causing it to slightly nose dive( i think) but you get used to it pretty fast. as for bike selection, try em both :).

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Balance??

Wondering how the tire size difference doesn't affect say a motocross bike? Different size front to back yet balanced in the air. Guess balance would have to do with the rider's relative position on any said bike. Sooo...BH rider would be more rear biased to for balance while the SGS rider is more in the middle.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
X-Vert said:
Wondering how the tire size difference doesn't affect say a motocross bike? Different size front to back yet balanced in the air. Guess balance would have to do with the rider's relative position on any said bike. Sooo...BH rider would be more rear biased to for balance while the SGS rider is more in the middle.
i dunno... I never though of it that way....either way, iv never had any problems dirt jumping my bighit...feels light as a feather... :D

·
Registered
287 Posts
My bighit jumps like a dream ! I did replace the 26" front with a 24". Dual 24"s are awesome for jumping. You do have to pedal a bit harder but you dont really notice it that much after a while....

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
X-Vert said:
Not tire size, but diameter 24 vs 26.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
BIG HITs...

for one i love 24" rears for the simple fact that when ur riding u feel so much more into the bike and i find jumping and dropping alot easyer with them...and plus u can run 3" tyes on 24"s...which for FR kicks ass...

it just ballances out the bike better (for me and little ppl)...

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
But the moto has different diameters front to rear?

red5 said:
Not tire size, but diameter 24 vs 26.
Not knockin' ya, just want to see other's theory and the cross over physics between DH/Freeride bikes and Motocross.

Attachments

·
Registered
752 Posts
X-Vert said:
Not knockin' ya, just want to see other's theory and the cross over physics between DH/Freeride bikes and Motocross.
Big difference is that powerplant that is connected to the throttle....

·
Registered
662 Posts
the Iron Horse, of course, everybody knows that horses can jump fairly well as opposed to something with the word "Big" in it's name, although I have heard rumors that they cross-bred the Big Hit with a kangaroo, so who knows, it may be a better jumper after all

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Lol!!!!

Cooter. said:
the Iron Horse, of course, everybody knows that horses can jump fairly well as opposed to something with the word "Big" in it's name, although I have heard rumors that they cross-bred the Big Hit with a kangaroo, so who knows, it may be a better jumper after all
Is kinda funny how people ask how well bikes handle, jump, pedal, roll, hop, skip, etc when so much of it really depends on the rider's skill, weight, wind conditions and other variables. What handles good for one rider, may not fit another as well but doesn't make that said bike inferior.

Oh well, makes for good forum conversations. :)

·
Banned
1,608 Posts
X-Vert said:
Oh man.. you bring a tear on my eye with that Yamaha...
This was me @ 19 years old with my XT600 in Argentina...SWEET DAYS...
Now If you escuse me I have a tear to clean .

Attachments

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Why are you white in that picture but you look very argentinian in your other photos?

·
I like air!
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
X-Vert said:
Is kinda funny how people ask how well bikes handle, jump, pedal, roll, hop, skip, etc when so much of it really depends on the rider's skill, weight, wind conditions and other variables. What handles good for one rider, may not fit another as well but doesn't make that said bike inferior.

Oh well, makes for good forum conversations. :)
While there is no doubt it's the rider that makes the bike do what he wants, different bikes are designed for different ways of riding. Some are designed to handle large drops while others are meat for DH racing. So if the general consensus was that one of the bikes sucked for jumping because of one reason or another then that would help sway my decision.

I know how the big hit handles but I never had the opportunity to try out an Iron Horse. I'm just trying to make the best informed decision I can knowing nothing about the SGS.

·
Banned
1,608 Posts
COmtbiker12 said:
Why are you white in that picture but you look very argentinian in your other photos?
Dude...I was and I am white... that's what happen when you spend to many hours under the sun ....
BTW.. Most argentinians are whiter than me...

·
Xtremely Moderate
3,098 Posts
COmtbiker12 said:
It's a well known fact that most Argentinians get darker with age.
;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts