Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm in need of a fairly inexpensive long travel bike and I think I have the IH 7 point at the top of my list based on value and performance. Randall Scott has three of them, all within a couple of hundred of dollars of each other. Based on specs, which one would you guys choose:

2008 7Point $1899 ----------------------------------------------------------------

Frame: 7" TRAVEL dw-link FREERIDE FRAME, 1.5 HEADTUBE, 150MM X 12MM THRU AXLE HUB, 83MM BB SHELL, REPLACEABLE DERAILLEUR HANGER
Fork: MARZOCCHI 66RCV, 180MM TRAVEL, W/ 1.5" STEERER
Rear Shock: FOX VAN R COIL, 8.75"X2.75", 15/17" 300LBS SPRING, 19" 350LBS SPRING
Front Derailleur: SHIMANO SAINT, 34.9MM CLAMP
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X.7 MID CAGE
Shifters: SRAM X.5 TRIGGER
Brakes Levers: AVID JUICY 3
Brakes: AVID JUICY 3 W/ 203MM FRONT & 185MM REAR ROTORS
Chain: HG53
Crankset: FSA GRAVITY MOTO X, 170MM
Cassette: SRAM PG-950, 11/34T, 9 SPEED
Pedals: CRANK BROS 5050X PLATFORM
Bottom Bracket: FSA MEGAEXO, 83MM
Headset: BIG FAT PIG 1.5
Saddle: WTB PURE V RACE
Seat Post: FUNN SPLINED V3, 30.0MM
Handlebar: FUNN 318, 30MM RISE, 710MM WIDTH, 31.8MM CLAMP
Grips: N/A
Stem: FUNN RIPPA 1.5, 31.8MM CLAMP
Tires: MAXXIS MINION F DH 60A COMPOUND, SINGLE PLY CASING, 2.5" FRONT & REAR
Wheelset: ALLOY DH, SEALED BEARING, 110MM X 20MM THRU AXLE, 32H/ALLOY DH, SEALED BEARING, 150MM X 12MM THRU AXLE, 32H/SUN RIMS MTX S-TYPE, 32H/DT/SWISS CHAMPION 2.0
Weight: 42.9 lbs
Color: CHARCOAL SATIN

2007 7Point3 $1699 ------------------------------------

Frame: dw-7, 7" TRAVEL FREERIDE FRAME, 12mm THRU AXLE x 150mm SPACING, W/REPLACEABLE DROPOUT, W/INT'L DISC BRAKE MOUNT
Fork: Rock Shock Domain 302 Coil , 185mm travel
Rear Shock: Fox VAN R 300x3.24
Front Derailleur: Shimano SAINT FD-M806, TOP PULL
Rear Derailleur: Sram X.7, Mid Cage
Shifters: Sram SX.5 TRIGGERS
Brakes Levers: AVID JUICY 3
Brakes: AVID JUICY 3 (Front: 8"rotors, Rear: 8" rotors)
Chain: Sram P-951
Crankset: FSA Moto X, 36/24T
Cassette: SRAM PG-950, 11/34T, 9-SPD
Pedals: CRANK BROS 5050X, COLOR; BLACK AND SILVEr
Bottom Bracket: FSA INCLUDED W/ CRANK
Headset: Cane Creek Integrated system headset w/ FSA Top Cap
Saddle: WTB Pure V Race
Seat Post: Funn V3 Splined System 30.0mm X 300mm
Handlebar: FUNN 318 710mm, 30mm RISE Fatboy
Grips: Velo VLG-408 black
Stem: FUNN Rippa - 1.5 Steerer Clamp, 31.8mm
Tires: Maxxis MINION DHF, 26x2.5
Wheelset: Sun Rimes S-type 559x34mm
Weight: 41.27 lbs 17"
Color: Graphite

2007 7Point5 $1999 ---------------------------------------------

Frame: dw-7, 7" TRAVEL FREERIDE FRAME, 12mm THRU AXLE x 150mm SPACING, W/REPLACEABLE DROPOUT, W/INT'L DISC BRAKE MOUNT, 1.5" HEADTUBE, SIZE = 15/17/19", W/ ENDURO MAX BEARINGS
Fork: Marzocchi Bomber 66 RCV
Rear Shock: Fox DHX 3.0 Coil
Front Derailleur: Shimano Saint, Top Pull
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Saint
Shifters: Shimano Deore XT
Brakes Levers: Avid JUICY 3
Brakes: Avid JUICY 3 (Front: 8"rotors, Rear: 7" rotors)
Chain: KMC-HG53
Crankset: Race Face Evolve DH 36/24T W/ e.thirteen bashgard
Cassette: SRAM P-950
Pedals: CRANK BROS 5050X PLATFORMS
Bottom Bracket: Race Face x-Type FR/DH
Headset: Cane Creek IS w/ FSA Cap
Saddle: WTB Pure V Race, SATIN STEEL RAILS, COLOR: BLACK
Seat Post: Funn Splined Post V3, 30.0 x 300mm, COLOR: BLACK
Handlebar: Funn Fatboy 30mm Rise, 8 Deg Sweep, 710mm Width
Grips: Funn Combat Grips, LOCK ON, COLOR: BLACK
Stem: FSA ST-DH-300, 1.5, 60mmX10Deg, 31.8mm
Tires: Maxxis Minion DH F, WIRE BEAD, FRONT: 26X2.5, REAR: 26X2.5
Wheelset: Sun MTX S-TYPE rims with alloy hubs
Weight: 43.45 lbs 17"
Color: Satin

·
Registered
592 Posts
I would probably go with the 08 7point just because the frame has nicer geo in my opinion. The 08 is slacker(headtube angle) and lower(lower bb height) with a shorter chainstay length and and shorter wheelbase, but longer top tube (for me this would be a good thing, but it depends on your height). So i think the geo in 08 is much nicer. I would no doubt go with the 08, the only thing I like about the 07 7point5 (i dont like the 7point3) is the way it looks (nicer looking paint job and i like the curved top tube; i dont like the stickers on the 08) and some of the components are better on the 07 7point5.

·
EastBaySteez
4,726 Posts
Just to let you guys know the Geo's didnt change.
They advertise as so but the HT angle is still 67.5 and BB is still just as high. ( New 7point owner measured )

I would go with the 07 7point5. Ditch the brakes and you have a SICK 7point.
Beefy wheelset, good drivetrain. What else could you ask for?

·
Bike Hustler
822 Posts
motormonkeyr6 said:
They advertise as so but the HT angle is still 67.5 and BB is still just as high. ( New 7point owner measured )

thats what i hear too... bums me out cause the 08' 7 point on paper was supposed to be everything I wanted in a DW link bike... guess I'll have to wait and see what Norco does with the DW in 2010.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm.... so the frame on 07's and 08's are identical? If that's the case, I think the 7point5 is the better deal with the components for just $300 more. And I don't know why they throw Juicy 3s on a DH/FR bike.

·
EastBaySteez
4,726 Posts
LoozinSkin said:
thats what i hear too... bums me out cause the 08' 7 point on paper was supposed to be everything I wanted in a DW link bike... guess I'll have to wait and see what Norco does with the DW in 2010.
I was going to buy a 08 7point frame to replace my 06. But then I heard that the geo's pretty much the same.
It killed me! Maybe for 09 they will actually change the mofo!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Freerider Forever - That is one pimped out bike. I saw it in the classifieds but a little over my budget. I didn't want to spend more than 1500-2000 (I just bought an AM rig at the beginning if the season).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tristan2ride said:
Hmmm.... so the frame on 07's and 08's are identical? If that's the case, I think the 7point5 is the better deal with the components for just $300 more. And I don't know why they throw Juicy 3s on a DH/FR bike.
Actually now that I look at it, the 08 has better components... and a hundred bucks less. decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Freerider Forever said:
How about my 7Point with a waaaaay sicker build? Spam I know, but since you're looking to buy...I'd be willing to negotiate the price a bit too...

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=22304&cat=500
T

I agree! That would be sweeter deal than all those bikes from Randall Scott specially if you can negotiate it down to $2K shipped! The is indeed a sweet build that could only be equalled by my friend's '06 7 point 5 with a Totem and a Vivid. The only thing I hate about owning the 7 point is the resale value as there are alot of 7 point frames on sale for $500-$700

·
Capricious youth...
3,814 Posts
motormonkeyr6 said:

I concur with Dr. Monkey here.

'07 7point5 was a fantastic bike, and I'm shocked that they didn't sell more of them. The 2006 7point5's sold like hot-cakes.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
tristan2ride said:
Actually now that I look at it, the 08 has better components... and a hundred bucks less. decisions, decisions.
Maybe you should look at it again. The 07 7.5 has a better rear shock, wheels, shifters, and derailleurs than the 08.

I'm going to agree with Motomonkey and say the 07 7.5 is the way to go, just upgrade the brakes. (and if you want them I do have a partially used but in awesome condition juicy 7's with 8 inch rotors).

But be careful with the iron horse, they wont be using the DW linkage for 09... that might cause a headache or two if you ever need replacement parts.

·
moaaar shimz
9,125 Posts
his dudeness said:
Maybe you should look at it again. The 07 7.5 has a better rear shock, wheels, shifters, and derailleurs than the 08.

I'm going to agree with Motomonkey and say the 07 7.5 is the way to go, just upgrade the brakes. (and if you want them I do have a partially used but in awesome condition juicy 7's with 8 inch rotors).

But be careful with the iron horse, they wont be using the DW linkage for 09... that might cause a headache or two if you ever need replacement parts.
Wheels are exactly the same and the derailleurs are comparable, you are only right about the shifters and shock.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Saint is just a bit better than X-7 dude... actually it's a lot better. X-7 is roughly the equivalent of shimano LX. Last time I checked Saint was a bit higher up on the totem pole.

And if the price difference is so small, why save a couple hundred bucks when you know you'll be spending much more than that down the road to upgrade the fork and shock? Just in those two alone you'll be spending at least twice the difference between the two bikes.

Seriously, don't be a retard and just get it right the first time.

·
moaaar shimz
9,125 Posts
his dudeness said:
The shifters aren't comparable, if you really think that the performance/quality/price difference between a x5 shifter and a Deore XT is nonexistent then maybe you should buy both and see which one you like more. X5 is garbage, that's more like a Deore shifter.

X0 is comparable to XTR
X9 is comparable to Deore XT
X7 is comparable to Deore LX

Do I have to keep going down the line or do you get it?
Did you even read my sentence? I said you were RIGHT about the shifters dumbas$...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.