Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to answer my virgin posting on mtbr. I am 43, do a bunch of road riding and it has been 20 years since I did any real mountain biking. Now I'm ready to get offroad again as my first son has shown an interest. I'm in MI, and there is not alot of great trails in the area and a HT would probably do. But all my road bikes are HT ;) and the DS bikes are so damn sexy.

I am pretty torn between a number of options and looking for opinions. I'm considering an 06 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR at the LBS which I can get for about $1,670 out the door. It's mostly LX/XT and its tough to compare to the rest with the Ibex offerings (especially the Fox fork and shock). In the Ibex corner, the Atlas Sport or Pro and the Asta Race or X9. Not much seperates the pricing on these options and the Specialized is the most expensive. Specialized seems to think their suspension design is superior to all others. I am not afraid of ordering without a test ride, and used to work in a shop so can handle the set up.

I'm guessing the Atlas to be "all mountain", the Asta "XC" and the Specialized to fall in between. XC probably makes the most sense for the mild local trails but I just want DS (although I have not totally eliminated the sweet new Trophy Pro). The sexiest of the 3 frames is clearly the Atlas. So why would I buy the Asta over the Atlas if their seems to be no significant weight advantage with comparable spec? And what about these new shocks? I really have no clue how to compare these.

Help! Michdad

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Asta has a 1 pound advantage, geometry is different..

AM is supposed to be able to take more beating
but sev. members on the boards have proven that the Asta can do 4-5 foot jumps too.

I don't know much about shocks..
If you like the Atlas' looks, mabye get that instead.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Tough comparison

The Stumpjumper FSR is a bike in a class of it's own. If you read up on Total Suspension Integration (linked from the Stumpy's description page) you will see what they are promoting in the bike's suspension designs (linkage, fork and shock). The Stumpy line is legendary and a bike that many people and manufacturers look to as a standard by which other bikes are compared, and rightfully so.

The question becomes one of whether or not you as a rider can : A) Afford the bike and B) realistically distinguish the bike's handling characteristics on the trail. The most discerning riders probably can. Joe rider probably won't. The bike performs extremely well because of the engineering and componentry that has gone into it's design and build. Do a search in the Specialized forum and the shocks forum on Stumpjumper, Brain Shock, and Brain Fade and assess for yourself if you are the rider who will reap the benefits the bike has to offer. You may also find that it's proprietary Brain components have a reputation for being a bit finicky.

As you can see it's tough to compare the Stumpy to either the Asta or the Atlas. Both Ibex bikes are well engineered also, and have certain characteristics that can be compared to the Stumpy, but neither is really able to be compared feature for feature, spec to spec mostly because of the proprietary nature of TSI. Given your dilemma, I would look more towards the Asta Expert X.9 in that it's travel is more conducive to the type of riding you say you will be doing (no real need for 5" travel) and the spec includes some of the most reliable and proven components available. That is, of course, unless you are the discerning rider who likes to tinker with their bike a lot. In this case, buy the Stumpy.

Think of it this way. You can buy a Ferrari and it will be in a class of it's own, but you will be tinkering with it constantly to consistently achieve it's optimum performance. You can buy a Nissan Z-350 and it will be a fast sports car that runs very well with minimal tinkering.

Lame analogies, I know but hopefully it puts things in layman's perspective.

Bob

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
Welcome to the Forums...

Michdad,

I'm really not sure what your looking for, way to much "this and that" in your post :confused:
So I'll suggest 2 bikes IMO that are right in the middle of it all:

ASTA Expert X9
ASTA Race

The ASTA's can handle the XC and AM style ride that I believe your looking for, including the Road work :D
Which model is up to you, all a matter of preference (Shimano or SRAM)..:madman:

Trophy Pro = XC
ASTA = XC and AM
Atlas = AM, XC and medium to lite heavy DH-FR...........

Jake :ihih:

PS. As far as Specialized bikes go, I'll simply say "This is the IBEX board"...:thumbsup:

·
Company CSR
1,027 Posts
Jake Pay said:
PS. As far as Specialized bikes go, I'll simply say "This is the IBEX board"...
I dunno', Jake. Is that what you want them to say over on the Specialized board? I think it's a fair question that deserves a fair answer, no matter where it's asked.

Specialized makes mighty fine bikes. IBEX makes mighty fine bikes. IBEX prices are much, much lower for comparably equipped models. Whether the OP thinks Specialized is worth all that extra dough can only really be answered by him. However, I think he wants to know if patented design Specialized suspension is enough in itself to justify the price difference. I know the answer, but it's not fair of me to say since I have a vested interest in preferring him to chose IBEX. It may look like I'm just trying to do a sales job on him instead of telling it straight. Therefore, I will let you guys answer who are familiar with IBEX, but not employed by the company.

Regards,
Jack A.
IBEX Bicycles

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
i've ridden an FSR design and i've ridden the 4 bar rocker designs. I've also ridden The Ibex Asta which is basicly a 4 bar also and now i'm on a single pivot from Ibex which is the Ibex Zone.

Comparing the FSR to a 4 bar would be better then comparing it to a Single Pivot like the Atlas. I really cant tell that much of a difference when i was riding an FSR bike and a traditional 4 bar rocker.

With the FSR and the Single Pivot though, they are completely different. Single pivots tend to take the bigger hits better and they just have this endless feel of travel (well, thats what i feel on the Ibex Zone at least) but they skimp out a little bit on small bump absorbtion and are more prone to Brake Jack. As for the FSR bike i'd been riding, Norco Fluid FR, it took bumps really well but when it bottomed, it really bottomed and there's a feeling of going otb. This is from what i see between the 2 bikes i've ridden. Could be the setup though and could be cause i havent broken in the rear shock. Also, about bottoming, new shocks these days have bottoming assist and all that so no worries. So it's a win win situation both ways. You can either run it super plush and work on that bottoming out assist for the single pivots or you could run it normally on the FSR designs and work that bottom assist. Shocks which i'm referring to are like the Fox DHX 5.0 and the Marzocchi TST R.

I wouldnt really mind either because your body is just going to adjust to how both of them rides... Like when i rode the Norco, that thing was plough machine... But i had to be careful on the jumps and corners, but on the Ibex Zone the thing just rails and flies but i just have to be careful about the rear brake...

I would honestly say go for the Ibex Asta if you're not going to do any aggressive stuff. I've ridden an Asta and they were pretty impressive. So far i've had a really pleasant customer service with Ibex and am really impressed with their products. I like Specialized stuff too but they just dont take care of the customers as well as a small company does. Ibex actually treats you as a person. And if i wasnt confident in Ibex bikes, i wouldnt have bought their freeride bike and be launching of 5 foot jumps, 10 foot gaps and rolling down those 20 foot drops... hahahahaha

All comes down to preference... Get the Specialized, be super blingy and spend a lot of money for a patented design. Get an Ibex, get just as good a product, ride a bike which not every mother and her sone has and save cash.

·
Registered
739 Posts
taikuodo said:
Asta has a 1 pound advantage, geometry is different..

AM is supposed to be able to take more beating
but sev. members on the boards have proven that the Asta can do 4-5 foot jumps too.

I don't know much about shocks..
If you like the Atlas' looks, mabye get that instead.
i've took my 07 asta off 4 foot drops ... I think I can hit 7 if need be, but not all the time

·
Banned
462 Posts
michdad said:
thanks for the input. it helps to hear from someone who has ridden both designs (and others too). I'm definately leaning toward Ibex.
Not sure if this'll help you but $1670 is a heck of a deal on a new SJ FSR. Those go for $2000 and more new. You could sell it for close to what you bought it for a year later just to get an idea. If you were paying closer to retail price, I would say the decission would be tougher, but it looks like a no brainer from here.

As for the bike, Specialized frames use proprietary alloy M5 for the SJ and they hold the patent to the Horst link desgin which is used by such names as Titus, Elsworth, up till recently Turner, and many many other brands. The general concensus is the Horst link is the most efficient suspension design available on the market today.

Does that mean it's a better bike? Better is a matter of opinion when it comes to bikes because each and every person has their own needs. But as far as what you get, you get a rock solid bike with a legendary reputation and by the looks of it at a great price.

http://alamedabicycle.com/page.cfm?PageID=74

What's up with different suspension designs?

Rear suspension designs fall into two general categories - fully-active designs and semi-active designs. Fully-active designs are meant to work all the time - even when climbing - offering the most plush ride downhill and traction benefits uphill. Examples include the single-pivot design (Santa Cruz Superlight, Diamond Back), Specialized FSR, and the GT I-Drive. Semi-active rigs, based on pivot positions or mechanical additions, are meant to de-activate while climbing to minimize bobbing. Examples include the Giant NRS, Trek Fuel & Fisher Sugar, and Specialized Epic.

The Specialized FSR design is by far the most efficient fully-active design in the market today. The inherent flaw in fully-active designs is pedal feedback, resulting in the bicycle bobbing when climbing uphill. The FSR design transforms vertical bob to a more horizontal bob, delivering full traction benefits while virtually eliminating bob.

The Giant NRS design is arguably the least-flawed semi-active design. All semi-active designs are inherently flawed due to what they're trying to accomplish - a smooth, active ride downhill while locking out during climbs, without the use of lockout levers. For example, the Trek Fuel/Fisher Sugar design loses its suspension characteristics while braking - something you'll be doing a lot of while going downhill! The Giant NRS does lose some suspension when pedaling downhill, a small sacrifice for those who want an ultimate climbing machine at an affordable price.
nope Jack, I don't work for Specialized either...

·
Registered
739 Posts
michdadI'm considering an 06 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR at the LBS which I can get for about $1 said:
which model? I am assuming comp? If that is the case, I think the Asta X9 is a bit better with component specs and sells for 1430 including s&h. the specialized is 1700 + tax ...but is LBS.

I am a huge fan of my IBEX, but the choice is up to you. I'll admit that the stumpjumper has more street credit.

I mean, IBEX are like Hyundai cars, great quality and way less expensive that comparable models. Most people hear the name and are like oh ...but when they pay close attention to them they are like "WOW and you only paid how much? " I'd say spedialized is like a Lexus, pretty much a toyota, but has the name.

Hyundai's reliability rankings now tie Honda's
http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2003-03-11-cr-picks_x.htm

I love my ibex and recommend them to everyone. I am super impressed with the quality and the ride and the PRICE... I've had several brand snobs at my local trail look at it and say "whatever", but then they ride it, and are impressed. they have comparable bikes to mine, but paid about $800 more ...:D

·
Banned
462 Posts
txjohng said:
which model? I am assuming comp? If that is the case, I think the Asta X9 is a bit better with component specs and sells for 1430 including s&h. the specialized is 1700 + tax ...but is LBS.

I am a huge fan of my IBEX, but the choice is up to you. I'll admit that the stumpjumper has more street credit.

I mean, IBEX are like Hyundai cars, great quality and way less expensive that comparable models. Most people hear the name and are like oh ...but when they pay close attention to them they are like "WOW and you only paid how much? " I'd say spedialized is like a Lexus, pretty much a toyota, but has the name.

Hyundai's reliability rankings now tie Honda's
http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2003-03-11-cr-picks_x.htm

I love my ibex and recommend them to everyone. I am super impressed with the quality and the ride and the PRICE... I've had several brand snobs at my local trail look at it and say "whatever", but then they ride it, and are impressed. they have comparable bikes to mine, but paid about $800 more ...:D
Out the door means including tax etc... so he's paying $1670 out the door.

so for $200 more you can a get a SJ? Seems like a no brainer if it's the Comp, if it's a higher model, dayamn...

Benz or Hyundai... hmm... ??

·
Registered
739 Posts
Becane73 said:
Out the door means including tax etc... so he's paying $1670 out the door.

so for $200 more you can a get a SJ? Seems like a no brainer if it's the Comp, if it's a higher model, dayamn...

Me personally, Hyundai, I am way to practical. I like the best bang for the buck .... You pay way too much $ for the name Benz. And really, the performance on the ride ( depending on the models in comparison ) are likely similar < I am sure I will get ridiculed for that remark>. Personally, I'd rather have a hyundai sonata 230hp v6 for 20g than a C280 that also has a 230 hp v6 for 10g more ...

now that is if I am buying ... if someone offered to give me one ...of course I'd go with the name :)

And yeah, I think a chick would dig a guy with a Benz over a guy with a Hyundai ... but then the song gold-digger comes to mind.

Then again I am not a brand snob, and I do not think you are either, you have a moto which also does not get a lot of street credit.

And as far as find the specs on the particular stump jumper he is talking about, I am having trouble finding them.

Either way, both are nice bikes...

And to elaborate on my hyundai/lexus/camery comparison ..

a Lexus ES 350 is essentially a V6 Camry. Now the Hyundai Sonata V6 compares very well with the V6 toyota camry ...

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Comparisons

Becane73 said:
Personally I liked the Ferrari/Nissan comparison, but hey there's no accounting for taste now, is there? :D :D :D

I think the point has pretty well been made and the OP has thanked us for our input, which by the way was pretty well balanced IMO. Anything more and it begins to sound like we're needling each other, but we all know that wouldn't happen here. Right? :rolleyes:

Bob

·
Registered
739 Posts
Call_me_Clyde said:
Personally I liked the Ferrari/Nissan comparison, but hey there's no accounting for taste now, is there? :D :D :D

I think the point has pretty well been made and the OP has thanked us for our input, which by the way was pretty well balanced IMO. Anything more and it begins to sound like we're needling each other, but we all know that wouldn't happen here. Right? :rolleyes:

Bob
of course you like the Ferrari/Nissan comparison.... it was yours!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and I was not needling becane ... we both have a moto. I just also happen to have an IBEX and I am pretty sure he has a stumpjumper. -- good guy though!

My intent with my comparison is that IBEX is not nearly as well know as giant, gary fisher, cannondale, trek, or specialized, but the quality and specs are on par with all those manufactures ....but less expensive.

·
Registered
87 Posts
When I was looking to buy a new bike I went to the classifgied adds to see what was selling and for how much. I found that there are a lot of one or two year old bikes for sale .One bike I could not find in the classifieds were IBEX. So my thinking was that the people who bought their bike from IBEX were happy with them . I 'm now a proud owner of a ASTA X7.Thinking about buying a road bike from them this summer.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input, the more the better. Just to clarify, the SJ is a 2006 FSR (not comp), retailing at $1799 on sale for $1749. After local bike club discount and add back tax, $1670 out the door. I don't care about name brand, I ride a smokin' Moto (le champ) road bike that weighs 17 lbs and has the spec of a $2500 bike (I paid $1300). I just want to be able to say I bought a comparable bike to the SJ, love the ride and paid $300 - $500 less. I think that's the road I'm going down with the Ibex.

Would like some input on the differences in geometry and ride between the Asta and Atlas. I know the Atlas is new, but speculation would be OK too. New pics at Ibex site are sweet.

thanks all

·
Registered
739 Posts
michdad said:
Thanks for the input, the more the better. Just to clarify, the SJ is a 2006 FSR (not comp), retailing at $1799 on sale for $1749. After local bike club discount and add back tax, $1670 out the door. I don't care about name brand, I ride a smokin' Moto (le champ) road bike that weighs 17 lbs and has the spec of a $2500 bike (I paid $1300). I just want to be able to say I bought a comparable bike to the SJ, love the ride and paid $300 - $500 less. I think that's the road I'm going down with the Ibex.

Would like some input on the differences in geometry and ride between the Asta and Atlas. I know the Atlas is new, but speculation would be OK too. New pics at Ibex site are sweet.

thanks all
I have a moto fly pro....nice bike

geometry for asta

2007 Asta Geometry Chart
Frame Size
16" 18"

20"
Rear Travel
4" 4" 4"
Head Angle
71.5° 71.5° 71.5°
Seat-Tube Angle
73.5° 73.5° 73.5°
Effective Top-Tube Length
22" 23.4" 24.4"
Chain-Stay Length
17.5" 17.5" 17.5"
BB Height
12.25" 12.25" 12.25"
Offset (mm)
40mm 40mm 40mm
Wheelbase
42" 43.3" 44.3"
Stand over
27.0" 28.5" 30.0"
Effective Stand over
29.0" 30.5" 32.0"
Crankarm Length
175mm 175mm 175mm
Stem Size
6°x100mm 6°x110mm 6°x120mm
Typical Rider Height
5'3" - 5'9" 5'8" - 6'0" 5'11" - 6'4"

for atlas

Atlas Geometry Chart
Frame Size
16.5" 18.5"

20.5"
Rear Travel
5" 5" 5"
Head Angle
69° 69° 69°
Seat-Tube Angle
72° 72° 72°
Effective Top-Tube Length
22" 23" 24"
Chain-Stay Length
16.9" 16.9" 16.9"
Offset (mm)
39mm 39mm 39mm
Wheelbase
41.9" 42.9" 43.9"
Actual Standover
26" 27.5" 29"
Effective Standover
29" 30.5" 32"

Crankarm Length
175mm 175mm 175mm
Stem Size
6°x100mm 6°x110mm 6°x120mm
Typical Rider Height
5'3" - 5'9" 5'8" - 6'0" 5'11" - 6'4"

note the asta is 16" 18" or 20" the atlas is 16.5 18.5 and 20.5 ... i think the biggest diff you will notice is the SP frame vs the design of the asta.

oh and here are some nice photos of the asta

http://gallery.mtbr.com/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=303947

·
Banned
462 Posts
michdad said:

thanks all
I don't think SJ FSR's retail for that cheep.
Is it this bike?

http://citybikes.com/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=39&id=5932
Retail is $1999. The frame alone sells for close to $1000 new on ebay, $1700 retail for the frame by itself.

Or are you talking about a Specialized FSR XC?

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
michdad said:

thanks all
you're going to find the Asta's geometry going to be mroe agressive compared to the Atlas. Your body position will be more slanted forward for climbing. The steeper head angle will help with that too. On the Atlas, you get a slacker head angle for the decents and a more up right position. you also get a lower standover height if you have tobail for some unknown reason and not hit your nuts on the top tube. This also means, you can lower the seat lower then the Asta. The Asta has 4" of travel and the Atlas has 5". Asta is a 4bar and the Atlas is a single pivot. How the single pivot on the Atlas will feel i'm not sure, but if it's anything like the Zone with a Falling suspension rate, it will pedal very well. As for which bike you want to go for, that really depends on the kind of riding you want to do... But as always, i will recommend the Atlas as it gives you more options in what you can do...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.