Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to order an Ibex but wanted some help on which model to buy. I am 6'2" 205 pounds. Have been riding road for years and would like to transition into Mountain. I was thinking of fs because I'm 35 and have arthritis. The arthritis is in my hands but think fs would still help. Otherwise in good shape and get crazy like I did as a teenager. I don't want an old person bike because I don't ride that way. I've been reading up and have been leaning towards an Ibex over Iron Horse, but haven't decided which model. I live in Florida and make frequent trips to Indiana (Brown County) and Georgia (Atlanta). Not a lot of steep rides mainly trails. Choosing between the Atlas Sport and Asta Comp x7. Any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Get the Asta

Welcome to the forums. I hope you gte the guidance you need here.

Based on the information you've provided, I would go with the Asta. If your riding style were more aggressive, or if you had more technical downhills to consider, I'd recommend the Atlas. Bottom line, both will do the job, I just don't see the need for the 5" of travel the Atlas provides given the way you describe what you'll be doing.

I would pose this question in the Ibex forums and see what the other Zealots recommend.

Bob

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes. I've been looking into FS bikes as well but the budget just isn't there so I decided to go with a hard tail (Specialized Rock Hopper). Ibex does sell some cheap FS bikes. I'm also a bigger guy as well and when you compare components, the components are pretty good. I'm not sure about the frame (everyone agrees to stay clear of FS bikes that are under 1000$ but if that's what you can afford, go for it if you don't mind the value) on the ibex since I haven't ridden one but I'm sure all in all they're all about the same.
Good luck on your search!

I've put off "getting one right away" and learned to slow down and check out all the local bike shops. Luckily we have several here. Most are well out of my price range but I've checked out the Trek and Specialized bikes and both are very nice.
The Rocky Mountain brand has some SWEET bikes but they are out of my price range. Same with the upper level specialized.
We get what we can afford :)

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I think there are plenty of good full suspension bikes under 1k thanks to online retailers. It is only when you find a Giant bike in the $2500 range with the exact same specs as an ibex, and same weight. Or even heavier.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.