Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Living Ghetto Fabulous!
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dropmachine.com did a pretty comprehensive review on high end hubs... (Guess which one was prefered in the end?)

Read it here. :thumbsup:

·
hands up who wants to die
1,405 Posts
lol Kings are $700 now...

·
hands up who wants to die
1,405 Posts
oops I'm dense.

My King hasn't had any problems in 5 years with zero maintenance done. Switched to Hadley rear hubs for my other bikes due to the better price; no problems there either. Hope front hubs are very light at a great price.

·
GAME ON!
4,965 Posts
pretty lame review. it basically states that there is no discernible difference between the hubs and quality evidently does not count for much. dt 240s should not even be in that list.

·
meow meow
10,622 Posts
im a newb when it comes to hubs. can some explain the differing degrees of engagement and their effects to me? thanks.

·
meow meow
10,622 Posts
William42 said:
it effects how far the cranks/pedals will freespin before they catch and start putting power into the wheel. More engagements mean that the cranks will freespin less and put power down faster.

I thought it was pretty bang on.
thanks, thats kinda what i thought but i wasnt really sure. is it really noticable say if i went from a decore to a hope hub would i be like "wow".

·
Living Ghetto Fabulous!
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
saturnine said:
pretty lame review. it basically states that there is no discernible difference between the hubs and quality evidently does not count for much. dt 240s should not even be in that list.
Pretty un-bias article if you ask me... Since the guts of DT hubs aren't much different from each other, they're a viable alternative to the 440 to save grams.

I've dealt with Kings, and owned DTs and Hadleys. Of those brands, everything the review states is on point.

·
GAME ON!
4,965 Posts
i just don't understand how they can compare 18 engagement points to 72, 120, and infinite and essentially rank them second and third. there is no comparison between a king and a hope. hope is definitely cheaper, but there are cheaper 18pt hubs that are just as good.

·
Fat Guy Riding
877 Posts
I've built wheels and ridden on King, Hadley and DT hubs and it would take a lot to get me to build a wheel with anything but DT hubs now that the 36pt engagement is out. The star ratchet is such a simple and elegant design that just works very well. They're light (well, the 240's are) and strong.

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,473 Posts
jschwart73 said:
I've built wheels and ridden on King, Hadley and DT hubs and it would take a lot to get me to build a wheel with anything but DT hubs now that the 36pt engagement is out. The star ratchet is such a simple and elegant design that just works very well. They're light (well, the 240's are) and strong.
I agree. I have a DT440 rear and it's still very light for how strong it is. One rider I know went up through the product line (breaking hubs), and has yet to break a 440. I need to get the 36 pt star ratchet plates for mine though. They also have very low friction (bearing drag) and are not loud. The Hope wheelset on my trail bike is loud and the bearing drag is somewhat noticeable...

·
Locs on Spokez
1,905 Posts
Yeah man

I have a set of 240's and a 150mm 440

I have the 36pt ratchet in my 440 on my M6, it's pretty sweet and the engagement is prime. Definitely noticeable cranking out of corners over the 18pt

I have King's on my SX-Trail. The rear King SS is spot on, very little rolling resistance.

Both are FAR BETTER than Hope's but I've never tried Hadley's so no thought other than I hate pinner ass pawl springs.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm thinking of getting an AtomLab aircorp rear hub with the funn bolts to replace an XT. I have the AtomLab 20mm front and want the matching back hub. Anyone have experience with the aircorp hubs? comments and suggestions welcome. I would like to spend not much more than $100 for a hub. A Primo 6 bearing 48h BMX hub is the best hub i've run. If I ever work at a bike shop...i WILL get kings.

·
Banned
1,111 Posts
SixSixtySix was telling me to go with a CK for the new rear wheel build that I need. Sounded good except for the insane price to get the hub with a 135x12 axle and stainless steel cassette body.

I have a Hadley coming in any day now for much less. Looks like I didn't settle for second best. Anywho, the few riders that I know with Hadleys have been on them for quite awhile and absolutely love them.

·
GAME ON!
4,965 Posts
i've had 3 king wheelsets and i have nothing bad to say about them. you get what you pay for. i have a ringle now. the difference is that selling a king wheelset is enough to pay for 2 cheaper wheelsets.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts