Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Still a child inside...
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tryin to be as clear as possible:

TARGET: HARDTAIL
FOR USE: ALLMOUNTAIN (TECH. SINGLETRACKS)
REQUIREMENTS: LIGHT, STRONG, PEDAL WELL, COMPATIBLE WITH 150 MM FORK
BUDGET: 450-500$ FOR COMPL.
PREFER: COMPLETE BIKE, THEN UPGRADE

THINKIN OF (all used):

Sasquatch
P2
HARDROCK
Stumpjumper?
Scirocco
Jamis-Komodo
Mongoose-Fireball
Saracen-Mantra3

Please recommend, advice, help, etc, etc
Thanks

·
Got Trails?
680 Posts
I started off in the same boat as you, I needed a nice XC HT for an affordable price. My range was between $400-$600. I ended up buying an 06' Ironhorse Warrior TeamSe HT for $400. I tore the components off one by one & replaced everything with Shimano XT parts & new mavic rims & many other upgrades. Anyway it is possible to get a great bike for a great price & then upgrade to ride the way you want it to. Seriously consider an Ironhorse if you can.

Anyway I would stay away from the Mongoose, the Jamis or the Stumpjumper are both good bikes. My bro inlaw has a stumpjumper & a guy I ride with has a Jamis & they both love them.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
If you can wait a bit, and have an REI local, wait for their 20% off sales on their Novara bikes and pick up the Novara Ponderosa Hard Tail. I got mine last February and it's been a fantastic bike :cool:. Retails normally for $849, but with the 20% off it falls real close to your budget.

·
Still a child inside...
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ironbike1,

i like IH, have a Maverick comp with platform pedals. It's extremely
abusable, and fast on the road/city. But i don't know, if it's worth
to drop xt/xtr on a Warrior...
Thought about the Surly-Instigator, it's a bit expensive...

·
zip it up, zip it out
265 Posts
i have a 06 giant yukon,
i beat on this thing and its deore level componets about every 3 days (i weigh 190 in riding gear for refrence ), and never had a serious problem. In fact last weekend it fell off my car while i was doing 60 mph and its still kicking ass

price $ roughly 500

It has heavy but soild deore componets ( someone will flame me on that statement) mech. discs (i love them ) and an nice agressive look to it

·
Got Trails?
680 Posts
danyiluska said:
i like IH, have a Maverick comp with platform pedals. It's extremely
abusable, and fast on the road/city. But i don't know, if it's worth
to drop xt/xtr on a Warrior...
Thought about the Surly-Instigator, it's a bit expensive...
What makes it worth it to drop money on any bike then? I ride with a guy who put more then $1000 into his Trek that is atleast 10yrs old, It is all preference.
I went from being able to only spend about $500 on a brand new bike. A couple months went by & I was able to put the components on it that I wanted. Granted I could have bought a better model for the $1000 total that I spent (that is frame & upgrades) but now my bike is custom & there are none like it.:thumbsup: Besides you cant kill the frame & it is reasonably light (27lbs). I know it is not the best out there & far from the best IH but I have alot of fun on my bike & it performs as good if not better then a lot of bikes costing $1000+.

Just my advice on the situation, I know how it is to want a great bike & be on a budget at the same time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would definiely go with the Specialized Hardrock. It's perfect for everything that you mentioned, and you can get them for around $350. You don't need overkill, that's a great bike if you are not doing four foot drops.

·
Student
820 Posts
norco makes some nice entry level bikes. they are made in canada so if you are an american you should be able to get a good exchange rate on one new. i started with (and still currently own, but is built up) a norco rival 2006. check it out. heres the web site www.norco.com. good luck in the search.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
The Scirocco is nice but there is no way you can get it complete for $500

·
Registered
202 Posts
+1 to that!

that guy again said:
used used used

craigslist is your friend

the odds are in your favor: the type of people who buy a bike and never ride it are more likely to buy a mtn bike than a road bike
I totally agree with this. I religiously check craigslist and I really wish I had known about it before I bought my first bike. I have seen a few jems with a crazy amount of cash knocked off MSRP.

·
Still a child inside...
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Yukon- It's an average xc bike. want something more special
Hardrock-I actually WANT to do some 4-5 ft drops...
Craigslist and norco-I'm in Isr, so actually [email protected] up because of the shipping

I'm a bit pissed, cos i can have a nice frame for 100$, but
the components will cost much more: about 1000$!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.