Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I am looking to get a new hardtail for AM riding. I am looking at a few options with a budget of 1500-2000 USD. Giant Fathom 1, Marin San Quentin 3, Nukeproof Scout Comp 27.5. Please help me recommend and it can also be bikes not on this list and explain. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I would vote for the San Quentin. It is the most progressive frame out of those 3. Meaning longest reach per size, shortest chainstays, steepest seat angle and longest wheelbase. The Giant is nearly classic geo and that would put it out of the running for me.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Also consider the Ragley Big Wig. Fairly aggressive but a steel frame.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Love my Nukeproof Scout 290......worth it but they tend to sell each run pretty quickly. I waited on my frame for a few months voer the winter, but it was a new model year etc.

Check out the Kona Honzos as well....

Meta HT

Whyte....

Orange....

Seemed like the UK and Canadian bike brands seemed to have their crap together on the latest HT trends where US brands seem more focused on selling us $6000-10K carbon FS bikes.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
Hi guys, I am looking to get a new hardtail for AM riding. I am looking at a few options with a budget of 1500-2000 USD. Giant Fathom 1, Marin San Quentin 3, Nukeproof Scout Comp 27.5. Please help me recommend and it can also be bikes not on this list and explain. Thanks! :)
I typically base my bike choice on the trail I'm riding rather than the time of day.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I typically base my bike choice on the trail I'm riding rather than the time of day.
Puns are for pinkbike... :p

Loooooove my Guerrilla Gravity Pedalhead. Ride2 spec is a touch above OP's budget at $2400, though.
The Pedalhead, Honzo st, Chromag Wideangle & Stylus are all great steel AMHTs. I have had a Honzo in the past and it has made me decide that its steel or bust if I am riding a hardtail.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Lots of good options already mentioned. When I was shopping for an AMHT in 2016 my top 3 choices were the Kona Honzo, Whyte 905 and Nukeproof Scout.

I went with the 905 and I'm still happy with my choice. Their geo simply works, (current model is one of the most progressive ht's out there) they get great reviews every year and the spec is trailworthy and good vfm. Also important that in a couple of cases that I've needed their help they responded immediately and resolved the issues.

If I was buying again today I'd look at the Whyte and the Marin from the alu offerings.

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
+1 for the Nukeproof Scout 27.5...

Can fit semi-fat rubber & has solid geo.

My '17 Scout 290 is my favorite bike I've owned to date.

People will preach about Alu frames being yadda, yadda...

They're just soft ;-)

'Born to ride!'

·
Registered
513 Posts
Reading this thread sent me over to the Norco website to see what their Torrent HT builds are going for this year.... and I found out there are no Torrent HT builds this year. Discontinued, I guess. The only HT they have for 2019 is the Fluid, less of an AM frame.

Which is a shame, my 2017 Torrent is a lot of fun, I have ridden it everywhere I take my FS bike and always leave the trail impressed with it all over again.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.