Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to cancel the order with Hope II Pros and have decided to go with some hadley hubs. Bolt-in for rear, 9mm thru-bolt for front.

Promblem is:

- The 36 point engagement has 3 pawls and they engage all at the same time.

- The 72 pt has 4 pawls that engage 2 pawls at once.

Which one would you buy?

·
Registered
9,586 Posts
gdl357 said:
I have decided to cancel the order with Hope II Pros and have decided to go with some hadley hubs. Bolt-in for rear, 9mm thru-bolt for front.

Promblem is:

- The 36 point engagement has 3 pawls and they engage all at the same time.

- The 72 pt has 4 pawls that engage 2 pawls at once.

Which one would you buy?
72 pt

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK...can you tell me why?

From what I read the 36pt = "three beefy steel pawls engaging simultaneously on a beefy steel ring to effectively distribute a whole lot of torque around a circle "

Forgot to mention they will be for XC and I weigh 260Lbs

Thx

·
Registered
9,586 Posts
gdl357 said:
OK...can you tell me why?

From what I read the 36pt = "three beefy steel pawls engaging simultaneously on a beefy steel ring to effectively distribute a whole lot of torque around a circle "

Forgot to mention they will be for XC and I weigh 260Lbs

Thx
I prefer a higher number of engagement points. Hadley started their hubs @ 36pt then to 72pt then 108pt and back to 72pt for durability. Never herad any issues w/ the 72 pt. Do they even have 36pt still available ?

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
72pt

I think Hadley dropped the 108 pt because they had too many problems. I like my Hadley 72pt better than my King 72 pt, seems to roll faster, and they are loud enough that the only people you supprise are wearing Ipods.

·
beautiful noise...
321 Posts
I went from a 36 point hub to the Hadley 72 and love it so far. The faster engagement is really nice in slow, tech-y stuff as well as when you need to kick back the pedals to set up for obstacles, drops, etc... The build quality is damn near surgical to boot (clean and precise). I think you'll be more then pleased :thumbsup: Oh, I'm 195lbs without gear and have never felt that the free-hub was weak in any way.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Oh yea!

As guyplaysbass hinted,"once you go 72 you'll never go back". I recently demod the new DW 5 Spot and Sultan (both with WTB hubs) and an Ellsworth Epiphany (with American classic hubs) and while they were all great bikes in there own way the most noticable thing about any of them was the hubs, after 8 years on 72 pt hubs 36 pt seem like the hubs are damaged.
I had the chance to buy some used I9 wheels for a great price and passed, I don't know how noticable the differance would be but I don't want to feel like I have to replace my King and Hadley hubs:eekster:

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
gdl357 said:
You guys are great.

I have been reading from other users that the 72 pt is inferior build wise. The 36 has better seals to seal out dirt and better contruction/design..
Hmmm, that's not correct. Same seals, same hubshell, same construction except for the pawls themselves. I've built lots of Hadley's and haven't had any problems with the 72pt hubs, but technically the 36pt is slightly stronger due to 3 pawls engaging instead of 2. Most likely you won't have problems with either, but I can say that Hadley tends to recommend the 36pt for guys your size.

Larry
Mountain High Cyclery
[email protected]

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ventanarama said:
Hmmm, that's not correct. Same seals, same hubshell, same construction except for the pawls themselves. I've built lots of Hadley's and haven't had any problems with the 72pt hubs, but technically the 36pt is slightly stronger due to 3 pawls engaging instead of 2. Most likely you won't have problems with either, but I can say that Hadley tends to recommend the 36pt for guys your size.

Larry
Mountain High Cyclery
[email protected]
Well I think that going with the 36 pt would be my best route I guess.

I think that it is better to have a stronger hub than to have a quicker one for my weight. The 3 pawl hub is applying torque at every 120 deg and the 2 is at every 180 deg.

Thx

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.