Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey which would be better

i have ten year old mountain bike decided time for a change

its 18 speed disc break so looking for something better of course if be lighter than i bike i have know but wondering which is better 29's or 26 inch wheels

29ers weren't out when i bought my bike

Giant XTC 2011 | BGHT11-007 | Freedom Machine, Australia

Giant Talon 1 2011 | BGHT11-006 | Freedom Machine, Australia

Talon 29er 0 (2012) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | Australia

XTC 1 (2012) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | Australia

Trance X 3 ( 2011 ) 1600

Anthem X 3 1550

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
There is no real true "which one is better" answer. Everything comes down to how the bike fits you and personal preference. The 29er's have a huge following where as, personally, Im not a fan. Meanwhile I ride with people who swear by 29er's. Go ride each bike, look them over thoroughly and make a descision. The technical answer to the question is whichever bike has the best component set.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok what is technically better

as far as im aware the 800 to 1500 bike that one is spirngs then one is air shocks

then 2011 xtc is 27 speed and 2012 xtc is 30 speed

also looked at the shifter are s-ram on the 29ers also hav avid exclir brakes intstead of shimano

so is shimano better shifters than s-ram

im just a beginner on this sort of stuff

so what to look out for

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Air shocks are going to be lighter and more responsive than a coil shock, coil shocks are cheaper and if you arent real concerned with weight can be a good place to save a little cash.

27 vs 30 speed is going to be personal preference, I see no reason for anything over a 24, but thats just me.

Sram and Shimano are both good brands, the series of drivetrain is going to matter more over the brand.

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
The XTC will be a better choice over the Talon anyday BUT if your budget only allows for the Talon the 2011 T1 is a better choice over the 2012 T0. it has better components IMO.

For 2012 Giant went with lesser components across their entire line.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys

yer well i have saved prob almost half the price for the talon by selling some of my other hobbies

so i don't mind waiting and buying the more expensive bike if is available considering i will keep this bike for ten years like i did my last one

i rather buy quality bike once than cheap bike that have to replace in two years

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
If you are going to stick to hard tails then probably a 29er is your best bet. The 29er has a little more bump eating capability and will probably replace the 26" worldwide as hard tail of choice.
If you were looking at a full suspension bike then it just comes down to your style of riding and 26" still has many advantages over a 29er.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey

yer i stick with the hard tails since majority of the time it wont see dirt or trails

since most of decent trails are least a hour or more from i live

there is few places close but there def too tough esp the amount of water and mud would get stuck in

also cant justify spending money on dual suspension bike unless racing it

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Trance X 3 ( 2011 ) 1600

Anthem X 3 1550

hey would it be worth getting one of these bike at these prices over the hardtail bike

the place were i live always seem to charge heaps then wonder why everyone buys alot down south were it is cheaper

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
You are asking questions to alot of things that are personal preference. You are also asking alot of questions that have been answered time and time and time again. Id suggest finding a LBS you get along with that carries giant bicycles and test ride one. See if anyone in your area does rentals. I was dead set on a '11 Jamis Dakar XC then test rode it and my '10 Giant Yukon FX and ended up buying the FX because it felt better to me and was quite a bit cheaper.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hey

well just curious i will test ride a few at local giant store but hard to know how it would feel with full suspension unless they let me test ride that on a track

i very much doubt that local store would let me go that far away with the bike

it just like know some people exp of the bike that is all

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Thats why I said see if any of your local LBS's do rentals. We have one here that will rent almost any bike in the shop for $75 for a weekend. And if you decide to buy they give you that $75 towards a new one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.