Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Niner WFO a few years ago, thinking that I would get something that was the opposite of the XC hardtails that I normally ride, hoping to improve my downhill skills. It's been a great bike for that but at this point I would rather have something that likes to turn, that is a little more nimble and light, that climbs more efficiently. I don't need 160 mm of travel as I don't do drops that are more than a few feet or massive gaps or anything that crazy. I do frequently ride very rocky terrain but I also ride stuff that is smooth and twisty. So, I'm looking at the Trail Pistol primarily, but would also consider the Smash. I see people saying that the Trail Pistol is harsh but that can be remedied by selecting something other than the RockShox shock. So, I'm thinking of either getting the Fox build or the MRP build. Anyway, what are people's thoughts?

A few more details: I still have an XC hardtail for pure XC and racing, and the only XC racing I might do on this bike would be something like Downieville. This would mostly be a daily driver on the rougher terrain that is close to my house and something that I would use for regular old trail riding on trails that aren't smooth for the most part. I'm 6'2" and 175 lbs.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sound like a perfect candidate for a Pistola, 140mm MRP up front and 130mm with a DPX2 out back. Depending on components should put you anywhere from 28 to 31 lbs max.

Be prepared to be patient though, put my order in at the end of February and knock on wood my bike will be ready for pickup sometime next week.

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Is that because you ordered a size that isn't currently available? There's no mention of a wait time for a size 3.
I'd expect some wait with a Size 3 as well. They are working through a wait list and I don't think they have a stock of any size frame just sitting waiting for an order. Contact GG to get current details.

For shock I would get a quality shock that you can get aftermarket tuned by a company you like [Avy, Vorsprung, Dirt Labs, etc...].

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
I'd expect some wait with a Size 3 as well. They are working through a wait list and I don't think they have a stock of any size frame just sitting waiting for an order. Contact GG to get current details.

For shock I would get a quality shock that you can get aftermarket tuned by a company you like [Avy, Vorsprung, Dirt Labs, etc...].
This... and in all honesty, I have not been overly impressed with the recent RS fork offerings. Started with the base level Yari RC on my size 3 Smash and had to get rid of it ASAP as it could not handle my normal terrain (fairly chunky). Got a good deal on a Lyrik RC with the MRP (Charger 2 damper) and it has been a good improvement but still feel "harsh and spikey" like I have felt with past RS products. Have only had a few rides on the Lyrik so things may change but I know that everyone thinks the Lyrik is the best thing next to sliced bread. For me, my cheapo SR Suntour Auron (non-boost) was way more plush. Since I just bought this I gotta give it a bit before I offload it but more than likely will sometime next season for the SR Suntour Durolux or Manitou Mezzer.

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Got a good deal on a Lyrik RC with the MRP (Charger 2 damper) and it has been a good improvement but still feel "harsh and spikey" like I have felt with past RS products. Have only had a few rides on the Lyrik so things may change but I know that everyone thinks the Lyrik is the best thing next to sliced bread.
I wouldn't replace it with another production fork. It's a good chassis. Just get it tuned specifically for your needs/preferences rather starting with another generic damper and spending more $$ in that direction.

·
Premium Member
10,743 Posts
Pistol/Pistola or get a Shred Dogg 27.5
I think the Pistola set up limits tire size ...
For playfulness, I’d choose 27.5, keep 29 for XC
The Smash is long and tall, not really a match for your stated needs.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
I ordered a size 3 front. They've likely just received alot of orders in a short period of time.
As of right now, the GG website says that lead time for Size 2 and Size 3 is 8wks+. They are still working through processing items so while they iron out the process they will hit little hiccups here and there. I would go with the Pre-Order capability where you put part of the money down as a Pre-Order and then when they have a frame for you in queue they let you know and you drop the rest.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
I wouldn't replace it with another production fork. It's a good chassis. Just get it tuned specifically for your needs/preferences rather starting with another generic damper and spending more $$ in that direction.
Yeah I am looking at possibly throwing the PUSH HC97 into the damper. Restarting my baseline settings to see which way to go. I need to take a small notepad and pen with me so I can mark stuff down and make LOGGED adjustments.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all of the help and advice! I think I'm going to go with the TP with DPX2/MRP combo. I put a deposit in and will be thinking about the rest of it in the meantime. Still trying to figure out if I want to buy a complete or if I want to just buy some of the new parts, as there are a few things that I don't like about the completes, such as I prefer a full XT drivetrain and brakes, and I prefer to build my own wheels. Thinking that I might just move the drivetrain and wheels over from my WFO, but trying to figure out what I want to do with my non-boost wheels as I'm not sure if there are enough threads left on the spokes to redish for a boostinator. Considering just buying new hubs and spokes and relacing them to my Derby's.

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
Thanks for all of the help and advice! I think I'm going to go with the TP with DPX2/MRP combo. I put a deposit in and will be thinking about the rest of it in the meantime. Still trying to figure out if I want to buy a complete or if I want to just buy some of the new parts, as there are a few things that I don't like about the completes, such as I prefer a full XT drivetrain and brakes, and I prefer to build my own wheels. Thinking that I might just move the drivetrain and wheels over from my WFO, but trying to figure out what I want to do with my non-boost wheels as I'm not sure if there are enough threads left on the spokes to redish for a boostinator. Considering just buying new hubs and spokes and relacing them to my Derby's.
You know that you can select XT through GG for your build? They have a few different wheel choices too.

I have a SRAM chain on my bike, and nothing else.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have an OG Pistola that started as my trail bike ( MRP Ribbon 140 Travel, RS Super Deluxe rear- awesome bike and very confidence inspiring on the downs) I then started using the Pistola as my primary park bike. I bought a Fox 36 installed a PUSH ACS coil, and installed an 11-6 on the rear. THAT setup was a freakin blast! Heavy- but super fun!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have an OG Pistola that started as my trail bike ( MRP Ribbon 140 Travel, RS Super Deluxe rear- awesome bike and very confidence inspiring on the downs) I then started using the Pistola as my primary park bike. I bought a Fox 36 installed a PUSH ACS coil, and installed an 11-6 on the rear. THAT setup was a freakin blast! Heavy- but super fun!
Cool man, yeah I'm stoked on how versatile these bikes look to be. I'm probably going to try to keep it fairly light and trail oriented in the beginning but I may buy a second shock down the road for other stuff.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
It's not a full XT build. It still has the E13 Cassette and crank and the wheels all have an XD driver for the E13 casette.
You also have the option to "build your own" or you can simply email GG about doing something a bit more custom. They have their standard items that they get but you can have them pretty much build you anything, all comes down to $$$ and wait time.

The full build will be cheaper in the long run as it is cheaper for them to get the stock and place on bikes at dealer cost. For instance, the upgrade on my bike to the RS Super Delux Coil was $180 with the spring. Should I attempt to purchase a SD Coil aftermarket that is close to $500+ for everything if not more (depending on the spring I get). So picking those key items like the drivetrain, fork, shock, dropper from them will be cheaper that way in the long run. But that is also assuming you know what you want.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You also have the option to "build your own" or you can simply email GG about doing something a bit more custom. They have their standard items that they get but you can have them pretty much build you anything, all comes down to $$$ and wait time.

The full build will be cheaper in the long run as it is cheaper for them to get the stock and place on bikes at dealer cost. For instance, the upgrade on my bike to the RS Super Delux Coil was $180 with the spring. Should I attempt to purchase a SD Coil aftermarket that is close to $500+ for everything if not more (depending on the spring I get). So picking those key items like the drivetrain, fork, shock, dropper from them will be cheaper that way in the long run. But that is also assuming you know what you want.
Good to know that they are flexible on build options. I'm still thinking about the groupset/wheels part of the equation. I might just use what I already have ( XT and Hope's laced to Derby's), but having a bike with everything new would be cool as well.

·
Premium Member
10,743 Posts
Good to know that they are flexible on build options. I'm still thinking about the groupset/wheels part of the equation. I might just use what I already have ( XT and Hope's laced to Derby's), but having a bike with everything new would be cool as well.
I ordered a frame and shock this time, last time I got a fork too, then added a coil shock later at the same price as a new buy. GG is pretty good about working with customers.

If I was building a Trail Pistol, I'd skip the Pistola build as the new Revved frames don't have as much clearance as the old TP, I think it limits you to <2.4(?).

Seriously, 120mm of travel is plenty for a 29er trail bike, bump the fork to 140mm for a more aggressive feel and increased stability.

If you're building up light, and you don't need more than a 120mm front travel, check out the Fox SC34 fork, it's what I run on my XC bike, pretty burly, great ride, lightweight. I'd stay with the fox DPS Elite Shock, lightweight and works well.

There's no reason to get new wheels and outfitting, just use the problem solvers to make the wheels fit, drivetrain is drivetrain, I prefer GX 11sp for performance and durability. Everything else swaps over.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I guess 2.4 clearance with a 130 rear. I’m on the Minion SS in the rear right now and I don’t see needing anything bigger than that. But I may still go with the 120 anyway.

I’ve had GX 11 speed and it worked well enough. I prefer the feel of Shimano and the cheaper cost of cassettes though. Have you tried the GX Eagle? Seems people are saying it’s clunky.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
GG says clearance for 2.4's with the 130mm rear. I never use anything bigger than that. I'm using the 2.3 Minion SS in the rear currently and they're more than enough tire.

Yeah, I had a GX 11 speed drivetrain at one point and didn't have any problems. I generally prefer the feel of Shimano and the cheaper cost of cassettes. Have you tried the Eagle version? Seems that people are saying it doesn't shift very well. Also, I don't really need that range at most of the places where I'll be riding this bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I got the NX Eagle with my build and have had zero problems with it. Shifting is crisp and responsive except for very last jump from the 42t to 50t, nothing wrong just a bit of lag in the drivetrain felt as the system jumps from one to the other. To me this is felt up and down. I have played with the tension adjust for the shift cable and that has relieved some of the lag but it is still slightly there. However, the 50t is really nothing more than a bailout gear when I am tired on climbs and just need a little recovery. Honestly have not used it all that much.

Other than that, shifting has been real nice even for the super budget NX Eagle and feels no different than friend X1 and GX Eagle.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.