Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to assistance from the GF pro's:

I have the option of buying a new GF Marlin Disk or a used GF Pirahna. The prices are basically the same, but I don't know the difference between the bikes. They are both 2009's but new does offer advantages. I have a good (local) dealer who will offer a tune-ups, I know that the new bike wll not have any issues, etc.

For the same price, is it worth buying used for the Pirahna? I don't intend to do any intense off-road riding.

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
The benefit to going with the new Fisher, is that Fisher frames come with a lifetime warranty on the frame. If the frame breaks, after being used as it is supposed to(no 10 foot drops, etc.), they will replace it. They are also pretty good about this and have great customer service.

Only advantage to getting the piranha, is the front fork. The Tora is a definite step-up from the Dart model that comes on the Marlin. All the other components that come on the Piranha will be pretty comparable to the Marlin, some being the same.

Basically the Piranha seems pretty high, since it is only really one notch above the Marlin in the Fisher Hardtail pecking order.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Knowing that (same year), is the Pirahna still the better way to go? Like I mentioned, I like knowing that I have a dealer to take the bike to if there is a problem (since it was purchased from him new), which is my only reservation for the Pirahna; however, if it is a much better bike, then that might be the promising.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The Piranhna has hydraulic brakes compared to mechanical on the Marlin, and the Piranhna has SRAM derailers vs Shimano on the Marlin. (Don't want to start a SRAM vs Shimano debate) Plus the better fork.
If you could get the used Piranhna w/ the lifetime frame warranty, then I would say get it...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am assuming that SRAM are better than Shimano then (I have no idea about either of them, only that I have HEARD of SRAM while I have used Shimano in the past). I will check w/GF to see about the frame warranty b/c that could be the deciding factor. I would guess that it would be a transferable warranty, but I will check. Common sense tells me that hydraulic disks would be better than mechanical, but also more expensive to maintain. Thanks for all of the advice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am about 205#! I have a little weight that I can drop, but not much. Again, forgive my ignorance, but is the frame warranty that big of a deal? What are the chances that something could happen to it?

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
I love fishers and always have, but over the past few years it seems like there has been a high rate of frame failures. I wouldn't consider buying one without a warranty, but that is just me.(peace of mind)

There's a good chance you would not ever have any problems, but might be nice to have. FWIW, I weigh in at 190 and have been riding an 08 tassajara for a year now. The thing is rock solid and has never felt flexy to me. I think a lot of the hardtail frame failures have been due to abuse.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
if the piranha is in good shape, i say roll the dice and go for it. yeah, there has been some history of frame issues, but it's still a small percentage in the big scheme of things.

the fork is definitely better- enjoy it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
And make sure the LBS writes up the sale as a 'new Piranha' for the warranty. Because if you are deciding between $700 bikes or $7000 bikes--THAT is what is in YOUR price range.. Would you drive a car (that you can afford) without car insurance??? I would hope not---because if anything happens to that car(or Piranha), you will be without one..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.