Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Define "Made in the USA"

Does that mean tubes made elsewhere and welded in the USA? Tubes made in USA and welded in USA? Tubes made in USA and welded elsewhere? A mix of USA and other tubes welded in the USA? Metal extruded elsewhere, shaped in the USA, welded in th....?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Manufactured in , Made in, and Assembled in all have different specifications on their meaning.

I'm well rusty on this, but I think:

Made in
represents the fact that the product is taken from raw materials and made into sommething. This is done through a complex process of more than a few steps where the original product is substantially changed in form and shape to make the finished product.

Manufactured in represents stuff where different components are brought together in a complex multistage process and combined to create a product which again is substantially different in form and function from the original constituent components.

Assembled in is where parts are simply joined together in a simple process and the form and function of the finished product is not too different from the original components.

The difinitions of each are hugely vague and can be interpreted in many ways.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A guy at work has an '02 Marlin and it says right on the frame "Made in USA".

I looked at a '05 Tass in a store and it said on the frame "Designed in USA".

I'd like to know what the deal is before I drop $800+ on a bike.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The Gary Fisher website has a little American flag next to the ones that are made here... The other ones don't..

Just bought a HKEK and it didn't have the "Made in China" decal on the headtube, so I did a little research.

Tom.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I've got a GF Big Sur (none of the original parts). It says Designed in USA, assembled using foreign and domestic parts. Chainstay states assembled in Ireland. So it's been about a bit before I even got it!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I think the aluminum frame production may have been moved outside the U.S. even on some of the higher end bikes.

My Big Sur has Made In US on it but I think around 05 model year they stopped making any of the hardtail frames in the US. They claimed they couldn't compete with the other three or four companies getting everything from China or Tiawan.

I'm sick of 'made in China' crap. On some things it matters and on others it might not but I've had to send back two sets of $150+ boots with different sized feet made in China from a company that has provided me with 5 pairs of made in the U.S. boots over the years that fit. Stainless steel kitchen ware from China is distinguised by the ability to rust like low carbon steel. Made in Mexico is often worse, clothing with no seam allowance fraying, splitting or rotting from day one.

As a bussiness outsourcing can be appealing and can result in inexpensive products. If you don't ride heard constantly on the quality however the product will not perform to spec. In my experience China and Mexico are the worst wrt QA.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.