Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 or so Gary Fisher Joshua Y frame Y model. Not X or Z model.
I have a Shimano ES70 splined BB, a 570 LX front crank 22-32-44 170mm, and I have LX Rapidfire shifters.
What front derailleur will work with this set up?
I would prefer a lx or xt setup.
I tried a 530 Deore but it hits the swing arm when on the smallest chainring and that first shift goes over to the middle chain ring.
Will a FD M571 work with 66-69 degrees of movement? If I have the 530 that has the 63-66 degrees of movement that could explain some things.
I really want to find an answer without too many new parts but would an e-type derailleur and BB be my only option?
Shimano didn't really have any good answers they were guessing. Gary Fisher suggested a bottom swing which didn't work at all. It hits the swing arm and the chain rubs on the cage. LBS said TREK thought an E-Type or M510 would work. Bike shop thinks I will only find a Deore that will work so they are not real helpful at the moment.
I am at a loss :madman: so any help you can give would be appreciated.
Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
It depends on where the derailleur.....

cage is making contacat with the rear triangle. If it is hitting the tube that the derailleur mounts on then it is most likely a chain line problem. I am assuming that you mean it is hitting the tube the derailleur is mounted on? If so, that and the fact that your first shift goes OVER the middle ring are the clues. If your chain line is correct you'd be able to use your low limit screw to prevent the cage from smacking the swing arm on the down shift, the high limit to keep it from over shifting the big ring, and then the barrel adjuster on the shifter to dial in the middle ring.

Now if the rear of the derailleur cage is hitting the seat stay portion of the rear tirangle then you have a crank set compatability problem. It's called your big ring is TOO big! The old Y's weren't originally speced with 22-32-44 crank sets. The originals were compact 22-32-42's. The lower tooth count on the compact set big ring required a lower mounting position of the derailleur than a 44 tooth ring would. The location of the contact with the rear triangle is the key to this problem I believe.

If it is the second scenario I listed, then there isn't a derailleur going that is going to solve the problem. For the most part the length of the cages haven't changed in a long long time. You should be able to use just about any Shimano front der on the bike.

Anyway, either one is reatively easy to fix. For the first scenario, a bottom bracket with more spindle width would be the solution. For the second, purchasing and installing a 42T big ring and then setting your derailleur height accordingly would solve it.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It turns out that my LBS had to use a 73x118mm BB instead of the 113mm I had on there.
It shifts ok but when it is on the big ring the 3 biggest rear rings (1st-3rd gears) will not work as there is too much angle plus too little chain. I doubt I will be in the biggest ring while on the trail anyway so not a big deal for me.
One last thing the front of the front derailleur still hits the post the derailleur is on right where the two triangles connect to it (on the bottom). Other than that it seems to shift ok.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
This isn't uncommon....

when using new modern components on a older bike like the Y. Great bike by the way, not the best FS bike out there anymore, but they were a great bike in their day and are still a fun ride. Anyway, they were designed around now obsolete components that for the most part aren't available anymore. My first guess was chain line and it sounds like that was the problem. I'm guessing that your LBS got it set up the best they could. I really can't recommend any further adjustments without seeing the bike and putting in a stand and running through some diagnostics and trying some different adjustments. I'd hate to for you to fiddle with it and then end up back at the LBS because of it. :D It can be really tough sometimes getting newer components to work on older bikes.

Anyway, it sounds like your getting it sorted out. Have fun with it!

Good Dirt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.