Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I rode a Turner 5 Spot I've been tinkering with the idea of selling my VT frame and buying one.

A while ago I started partiming at a shop that sells Trek, Fisher, Lemond, Cannondale and Ellsworth. They have a Medium Id frame available that I may get at employee price and that's the reason I'm posting. The 5 Spot and ID are somewhat similar in desing and that's why I'm curious.

Trying to be objective and also trying to avoid a flame war about Turner vs Ellsworth please give me your honest answer/recomendation on which one to get. Please keep in mind that the Ells may be favored due to the price.

Thanks

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Biting my tongue here

To be objective, you probably can't go wrong with either the Turner or the Ells. I own neither brand, mind you, but based on what I've seen on these boards, I would spend the extra money and buy the Turner.

Best wishes in finding the right frame. Be sure to post pics of the new build once you get it done.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
What was it that made you find the 5spot nicer than your VT? I'm asking because I currently ride a Devinci Banzai which is very "similar" to the 5spot/ID and my friend as a VT. I find my bike nice going uphill in technical trails but I find the VT nicer going downhill, the suspension being plusher.

DiRt DeViL said:
Since I rode a Turner 5 Spot I've been tinkering with the idea of selling my VT frame and buying one.

A while ago I started partiming at a shop that sells Trek, Fisher, Lemond, Cannondale and Ellsworth. They have a Medium Id frame available that I may get at employee price and that's the reason I'm posting. The 5 Spot and ID are somewhat similar in desing and that's why I'm curious.

Trying to be objective and also trying to avoid a flame war about Turner vs Ellsworth please give me your honest answer/recomendation on which one to get. Please keep in mind that the Ells may be favored due to the price.

Thanks

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BanzaiRider said:
What was it that made you find the 5spot nicer than your VT? I'm asking because I currently ride a Devinci Banzai which is very "similar" to the 5spot/ID and my friend as a VT. I find my bike nice going uphill in technical trails but I find the VT nicer going downhill, the suspension being plusher.
What I liked the most about the 5 Spot vs the VT was the low BB and standover height.

Both pedal real good uphill and as you say the VT is plusher, your Banzai is coil or air sprung? The Spot that I rode had the Romic coil shock and felt rean nice on the downhills.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Beware: Romic Coil

DiRt DeViL said:
What I liked the most about the 5 Spot vs the VT was the low BB and standover height.

Both pedal real good uphill and as you say the VT is plusher, your Banzai is coil or air sprung? The Spot that I rode had the Romic coil shock and felt rean nice on the downhills.
I owned a romic Twin D just long enough for a test ride. The shock was super plush, but I chose to sell it based on a lot of feedback (mostly from the Turner forum) that these shocks have issues and break down a lot. Again, when the shock works, it is excellent, but does not have a reputation for being the most reliable product.

Whichever frame you choose, choose the rear shock wisely.

Bob

·
Registered
21 Posts
Why change? The VT is one of the best single pivots around.

Have you read the discussions on the Ells and Turner forums? I wouldn't buy either one, too many issues.

Get a Ventana or Kona.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Why not consider a Titus Moto-Lite? You should be able to get a discount on them as well since they are a dealer. Suspension design and BB height is also very similar to the Spot. As far as the shock I would not consider anything other than an RP3 or DHX at this point.

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hecubus said:
Why not consider a Titus Moto-Lite? You should be able to get a discount on them as well since they are a dealer. Suspension design and BB height is also very similar to the Spot. As far as the shock I would not consider anything other than an RP3 or DHX at this point.
Good point, didn't considered a Titus at all.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
DiRt DeViL said:

My Banzai is air in the rear, been through a Fox Propedal Talas, a Manitou Swinger 3way and now a Fox RP3 Push. I know, I'm very difficult to satisfy. Don't get me wrong, my Banzai with RP3 is really plush and I have absolutely nothing to say on the uphill, on the downhill it could be a bit more plush, like the VT. Whichever frame you go for, make sure you try them out because you might be dissapointed. Your VT is really a great bike and depending on what you are looking for I'm not sure any of those expensive frames will be giving it to you. I thought you would have said something like you wanted a "quicker" type feel because the only "negative" I found between my Banzai and the VT is that the VT "feels" a bit less quick/snappy on the flat and uphill.

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A New Twist

DiRt DeViL said:

Thanks
After talking with my boss, he made me an offer that I'm really considering.

He knows that I would like to learn DH, drops and jumps so he made me an offer hard to resist, I can get a Trek Session 7 at his cost and he'll teach me how to do the stuff that I want to learn and can't do with my current rides.

As BanzaiRider and TommyCalifornia mentioned I already have a nice riding trailbike so swapping frames isn't a big upgrade for the amount of ca$h to spend.

Now, will the Session 7 be a good buy? My boss is the national elite dh champion and rides one along with other riders so I guess that the bike is good because it can take the punishment.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Go for it

DiRt DeViL said:
Now, will the Session 7 be a good buy? My boss is the national elite dh champion and rides one along with other riders so I guess that the bike is good because it can take the punishment.
Based on what you have laid out here, how can you go wrong? His recommended bike, at cost, plus he'll mentor you in DH? I wouldn't even give it a second thought, just do it.

Bob

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Hihaaa, if you are in relatively good shape, I would not be surprised if you come back here in a few months telling us you are not riding the VT anymore, using the FR bike as a do it all bike. You can even sell the VT and get a second wheelset with lighter tires for your XC days.

Go for it, at cost and with a free teacher you have nothing to loose you lucky bast...! haha

DiRt DeViL said:
After talking with my boss, he made me an offer that I'm really considering.

He knows that I would like to learn DH, drops and jumps so he made me an offer hard to resist, I can get a Trek Session 7 at his cost and he'll teach me how to do the stuff that I want to learn and can't do with my current rides.

As BanzaiRider and TommyCalifornia mentioned I already have a nice riding trailbike so swapping frames isn't a big upgrade for the amount of ca$h to spend.

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Call_me_Clyde said:
Based on what you have laid out here, how can you go wrong? His recommended bike, at cost, plus he'll mentor you in DH? I wouldn't even give it a second thought, just do it.

Bob
At 39 with 2 kids, wife and all the financial crap that a house and family brings I'm a bit hessitant on the DH thing. I'm just affraid of getting injured, is it really that dangerous?

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Good point

DiRt DeViL said:
At 39 with 2 kids, wife and all the financial crap that a house and family brings I'm a bit hessitant on the DH thing. I'm just affraid of getting injured, is it really that dangerous?
I'd talk to your boss about that one. I'm going to be 43 in a couple months and I have two kids, too. While I have every bit of respect and admiration for the FR/DH riders, I don't have the stones to do what they do. I guess it all depends on your perspective.

My earlier reply was based on my perception that this was an opportunity that you were looking forward to. It still appears to be an opportunity to grab hold of, so long as you're willing to take the risk.

Best wishes.

Bob

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
DiRt DeViL said:
I'm also old, in fact older than you even. DH/FR does not necessarily mean dropping 50 feet gaps, riding skinnies 30 feet off the ground and going down a rock garden at 60 miles per hour. If you wear protection and ride at the speed you feel comfortable in, I think DH/FR is not more dangerous than technical trail riding with a bike that is too XC oriented and almost no protection, which a lot of people do.

I personally do all types of riding with a 6" all mountain trail bike. Obviously when I go to a lift service mountain for DH, I don't do anything big, I go slower than the guys on DH monster bikes but what we do have in common is that I have as much fun as when I was 16, I feel like a kid.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Dirt Devil,
Hi there, I am in the same thinking as you. I have a VT2 built up with XT, and have had chance to ride a 5 spot that is for sale.

Its driving me crazy thinking I should get the spot (its an amazing build and price). Or should i keep both bikes etc.

Hows your decision holding?

thanks!

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Grimtech said:
Dirt Devil,
Hi there, I am in the same thinking as you. I have a VT2 built up with XT, and have had chance to ride a 5 spot that is for sale.

Its driving me crazy thinking I should get the spot (its an amazing build and price). Or should i keep both bikes etc.

Hows your decision holding?

thanks!
I fell in love with the Spot instantly, the VT feels tall and slow. On the contraty the VT is plusher IMO.

If you can have both go for it but having two full sussers doesn't make much sence. The sad part is that the VT value is real low so selling it doesn't make much sense either, it's a hard choice to make IMO.

I posted because I could get an Ells Id at cost vs a Spot at full price. Both bikes look pretty similar to me but the cost favored the Ells not considering the warranty issues and flame wars. Later on a Session 7 was thrown in the mix making any desicion even harder.

In my case I'll stay put with the full susser, the ss and the roadie for now. The one that is really working my head is the DH bike but my wife told me last night no more bikes so no more bikes for now for me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.